Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something that wil help me out a bit on gas. Thank you in advance

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
time for a downgrade to the 5-series perhaps?
Or maybe your mom perhaps? It was a serious question and you reply with that......

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think you'll find a serious answer and your lack of understanding is equally prevalent in both your initial question and your response.

Good day

No one likes gas prices but there is nothing close to a serious mpg from the M5... you could tune it down or admit that you're driving the wrong car.

and grow up

·
Registered
195 Posts
stop, stop, stop. No mothers need to be hurt in the making of this post.

the answer the the original question of improved MPG with a tune is true. must turner does lean the car out a bit to get more power out of it. YOu should know there is a lot more going on then just leaning the car out, this is usually the side effect of a good tune. It not going to be a drastic increase in MPG, but an increase non the less. to some people, every drop count.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I need something that wil help me out a bit on gas. Thank you in advance
No. Hard to believe you would ask this considering what the M5 is....

I mean realistically you aren't going to find any tune that is going to help your mpg to the point it will make a difference.

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I originally asked this question because I read it on a review from kkb. Here is the review.

My car is an 06 model. Complaints: Uses a little oil. A bit thirsty in the city (get Dinan softwear upgrade and fuel mileage will be 15 city & 22 hwy!) Many controls are odd or confusing. "I-drive" is slow when cold and SMG is very slow in winter climates when the car is cold. BMW Navigation is worthless. Power is just awsome (specially with Dinan softwear) Handling is spectacular. Slides & drifts are predictable and a blast! This car does 60's style burnouts! SMG is fantastic and smooth- even in town when it is both set correctly and driven smoothly - note: I prefer position "6" for the clutch setting which requires the "DSC" to be off. Build quality and materials are first rate. extremely comfortable on long trips whare it Never gets boaring. Great sterio. Exhaust note above 3,000 rpm. is spectacular! Huge trunk. This car does everything any other can do & does nearly anything better than everything. A trully Epic Car!!

This is why I asked the question. Not for a stupid remark. I know that tuners optimize the tune to the vehicle getting you the best fuel/air ratio,I just thought din an had some new magical tune. Thank you

·
Banned
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys are right sorry for asking this question.

·
Registered
911 Posts
That was a bad question but take it a little easy on the guy. I flew down to florida from the midwest to pick mine up. Had a buddy that lived down in orlando. I was even taking it a little easy as I was getting used to it, but looking at the milage I was getting I knew my wife wasn't going to be happy. What was really bad was my credit card company called my wife while I was down there and wanted to know if the card had been stolen as there were a lot of charges for gas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Drive like a grandma, get a tune that leans out the car, add an RPI ram intake mod, and start dropping weight on the car. Titanium exhaust, headers, lighter wheels/tires, carbon fiber hood, and if you really want to get extreme, some racing seats.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did Dinan stage 1 ECU and went from 11.7 average to 12.1, so yeah it helps a little. For me it was more about the top speed limiter removal, a little smoother shifting and re-calibration of the factory ''torque limiting'' programming. It was a $G well spent.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have dinan software on my m6 with,pulleys and cf air box,it has been giving me sound 14 city and 21.5 hwy,thought it was an error,but it has been consistent,did the same mods on my wifes m5 and same results,apart from the smoother shifts and peppiness, which was a pleasant surprise :)although the intent of the mods was not for improving gas mileage but rather performance :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's a conspiracy! Damned oil companies have been greasing palms to keep that 100mpg carb out of the hands of consumers since the 1970s.

Just joshin'. ;- )

It is kinda hard to believe that the car gets such crappy gas milage even if you drive it like you're in a funeral procession. I've tried to see what I could coax out of it, you know, just for kicks, but then I realized no kicks were to be had by driving it like that.

Dave

·
Registered
911 Posts
I think the OP's goal was to reduce operating cost not just to see if he could get a marginal increase in MPG. To spend a couple of thousand to get a half a gallon increase is not cost effective. May I suggest that if he drives as stated without coming close to the performance that it is capable of, that saving 30 cents a gallon by using regular gasoline would be more cost effective.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gas prices never used to be an issue - just paid my Jan Amex bill. $859 for gas.....

Its starting to be an issue for me. $1.50 a liter here. And our $ at parity with the US.

Combine that with hopeless depreciation and i am, really wondering how BMW supporters are expected to stump the cash for anew one next year.

Bear in mind the M5 is over double the $ they are in the US. Depreciation so far $3 per kilometre.

It is the mist expensive car I have ever owned, porest fuel consumption and worst tax advantage.:deal:

But farg it nice to drive.....!:wroom:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts