BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a question about my DINAN software installed to my car. I searched on here but cant find much and if I did miss someones thread about a similar question I am sorry. I purchased my M5 with a DINAN S2 Package according to the dealer I got it from. But you know how it is, who knows if you can trust what some independent dealer says. So I called DINAN and spoke to a girl there, she took the last 7 of my vin and informed me I have Stage 3 software installed. What exactly does this software do? Does it bump up my rev limit? Remove the top speed governor? I still havent been unable to unleesh the true beast because of a crappy winter in Upstate NY lol. Anyone have any experience with DINAN?

Thanks again.

- Vitaliy

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Increases rev limiter ~8300RPM
Removes top speed limiter
Increases throttle response (pedal is more touchy)

Stage III software is recommended by DINAN if you have their CAI (Cold Air Intake). Pop open your hood and check if you have their carbon fiber CAI.

Personally, and experience from a friends M5 - we both lost power from DINAN tune. However, I have all of their bolt on mods (like CAI, exhaust, x-pipe, suspension, etc) and they all make great power. I have their suspension (and so should you with an S2 package) and it is a great kit as well.

To see if you have their suspension, you can tell if your car is lowered. Normally there is a pretty decent gap in the front wheel arch. Also, look under the rear of the car, right before the differential you should have a blue sway bar back there.

Let us know what you have. You can go on their website for the full S2 package list and the full details on the stage III software.

Reactions: VitaliyM5

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

From what I can see, yes I have the cold air intakes (carbon fiber). The car is also lowered compared to the other E39 M5's that I have seen. I cannot check my tire depth under the wheel well, my fingers wont fit LOL. It looks like the wheel wells have been pinched also to get rid of tire rub. I have not been under the car yet but I do have that bar under the hood and in my trunk. Says DINAN right across it. Also, I do have the DINAN exhaust, just not sure if its the x-pipes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow I'm surprised about the 8300 rev limit. You sure about that? That looks beyond redline lol.. I got my M5 with a slipping clutch. Original clutch 88k miles on it. So I have not reved the car very high. Already purchased a new clutch, hope everything goes ok! :D

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Hah.. I didn't realize I was in the E39 forum. I thought I was in the E60 forums.. Because I am using Tapatalk I wasn't paying attention.

For the E60 the rpm limit is raised to 8400rpm.

I could be wrong about my earlier post.. Everything I have said applies to the E60!! I am not sure about the E39. Check out http://www.dinancars.com for the correct information. It will list all parts for your E39 and describe each in detail.

Sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh its no problem bro, im sure that the suspension stuff is the same for the S2 pack.

But wow I never knew the E60 can actually rev that high, thats insane for a v10 engine. OMG lol.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I believe the Dinan software raises the rev limit to 7300 RPM?

I have Stage 5 software in my car, can't tell you much other than Dinan will let you upgrade the software for minimal cost.

Be careful if you take it to a dealer or a shop that they know you have Dinan software so the DME does not get reflashed.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, im down to upgrading.. but the question is, will it do anything if I dont have the hardware to back the upgrade? If I dont have the throttle body upgrade and the headers then its probably no point I assume.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My car has the entire airway from bumper to bumper as Dinan as well as the 3.45 rear gear set. Dinan felt the Stage 5 software was the best solution for my car.

I believe if you do not have the throttle bodies and headers, then Stage 2 or 3 is all you really need. If you contact Dinan they can better advise.

And in addition to increasing the rev limit, the software also removes the top speed limiter as well.

I have not tested my top speed yet! I just had to replace the thrust arm bushings and still have a few other things to do before pushing it to the limits!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea thats what I figured

Also just out of curiosity.. What do you mean that you have an airway from bumper to bumper?

LOL sorry if it's a n00b question. Haha

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Entire airpath bumper to bumper = CAI (Cold Air Intake), Oversize throttle bodies and velocity stacks, heaters, full Dinan exhaust and mufflers.

This means all air coming through the engine is supported with Dinan hardware from bumper to bumper.

This is the easiest way for me to explain it to folks when I describe what has been done to the car.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow that sounds awesome, after all those additions approx how much horsepower is the car running?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
hold up... wait a minute...

Stage 1 software is just a flash for speed delimit Stage 2 is for cai and stage 3 is for cai + Dinan air mass meters...

stage 4 is all of the above with the addition of Headers... stage 5 is the addition of Throttle bodies and V stacks and stage 6 if for addition of all the above + cams!!!

if you come to a LI meet I will be glad to verify your header situation but the throttle bodies and v stack would require removing the intake plenum....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
pretty sure the standard is that unless someone specifically adds "crank" before horsepower, "hp" is understood to mean at the flywheel :3:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
S2 = 470hp @ 6900rpm, 419lb/ft @ 5000rpm

Wow thanks.. Im guessing if I just have CAI with the Dinan air mass meters + DINAN exhaust and S3 software im running much less? Id love to get this thing on a dyno and see the results.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
If you have an S2 there will be a Dinan badge under the hood.:checkeredflag:

Reactions: VitaliyM5
1 - 20 of 21 Posts