BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dinan added the 28mm front anti-roll bar to their site this weekend.
$399.00 for the bar and 53 units (5.3 hours) of labor.
Here are the specs taken off their site:

"The 28mm Front Anti-roll Bar that is now included in the Stage 2 and 3 Suspension Systems is available separately for those who wish to approach the system in phases. The 28mm bar can also be added to existing Dinan suspension system installations, providing the ability to fine tune the car's balance for varying tire and wheel combinations, as well as personal driving style."

Nice Christmas present thought!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It is odd. I thought that the M5 understeers too much so won't adding more bar to the front cancel some of the thicker bar in the rear?

BTW, Rick, the Dinan bars don't have "Dinan" stamped on them. At least mine didn't, but I get the point.

·
Registered
444 Posts
A 28 mm diameter front bar calculates to be 15.6% stiffer than the stock 27 mm. bar. Only you can decide whether this increase is worth $400.00 plus a tough install. The Dinan bar may have adjustable link attachment points like many of their other bars, but I have not seen one of these yet.

The only people who ought to consider increasing front roll stiffness are those who already have (1) stiffer springs front & rear, (2) negative camber plates in the front, and (3) 275 tires & wide rims in the front. Increasing front bar stiffness will increase understeer tendency - but probably not that much. The BMW factory suspension setup already understeers like a farm tractor, but cars with the above 3 mods are fairly neutral under hard corning and braking - with power oversteer just a throttle movement away.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I think this product release is due to consumer demand. Some folks simply will not accept that the stock 27mm bar is optimal, when matched with a 17mm bar. The larger Eibach/ACS offerings are probably taking market share.

Combined with the Dinan 17mm rear bar, a 28mm front bar is surely not helpful for understeering E39 chassis'. Maybe Dinan is going to debut a 19 or 20mm bar soon (lol)? The 18mm rear bars being sold will slightly reduce understeer when combined with a 28mm front bar.

The only reason I switched to 28mm is because I decided to upgrade my 25mm 540i bar. After flipping a coin, I decided to swap to 28mm instead of 27mm. I'd prefer taunt spings and modest bars tho....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts