BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did you guys hear about this...any feedback?

<TABLE height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR height=5><TD bgColor=#999999 height="100%"><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Dinan S3-Factory Works Supercharged M5 </TD><TD align=right>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR height=5><TD width=500 bgColor=#ffffff height="100%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=50><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Part #:
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Price: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>S3-M5</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>Call Dinan</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Labor Units:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Call Dinan</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Emission Status:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Emission Status Pending</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>List of Included Items:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>See below.</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Peak Horsepower:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>621 @ 7000 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Peak Horsepower Gain:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>230 @ 7000 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Peak Torque:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>502 lb/ft @ 5500 rpm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Peak Torque Gain:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>173 lb/ft @ 7000 pm</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Point Value:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>10</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Car and Driver dubbed the 470 horsepower S2-M5 “a rocket”. A fitting description for one of Dinan’s finest high performance offerings to date. For those fortunate enough to own or have driven a Dinan S2-M5, it’s probably difficult to believe that a more powerful, better handling, street legal sedan could exist.

After over two years of development, testing and painstaking tuning, Dinan has once again raised the bar for street legal performance with the introduction of the supercharged S3-Factory Works M5. At 621 horsepower and 502 lb/ft torque, the S3-M5 is the most powerful street-car Dinan has produced in its 25 years of BMW performance tuning, elevating the M5 to true Supercar status. Suffice it to say that the “rocket” is now fully prepared for launch.

Producing this kind of power at full-throttle is one thing but doing so in a manner that meets Dinan’s strict criteria for drivability and reliability is quite another. The technology behind delivering such enormous amounts of power in a civilized, BMW-like manner is extremely complex, as you might well imagine. Fortunately for the M5 driver, uncompromising engineering and manufacturing standards are precisely what Dinan has been delivering to the BMW enthusiast for over 25 years. The S3-Factory Works M5 is perhaps the most shining example to date of what makes a Dinan BMW so much more than typical “tuner cars”.

The S3-M5 features a host of performance enhancements designed to enable the driver to take full advantage of the enormously powerful engine, improving not only acceleration, handling and braking power but also addressing the additional stresses 502 lb/ft of torque place on the vehicle’s drivetrain and chassis. As an example, durability testing revealed that reinforcement of the rear subframe mounts was necessary as the factory welds simply would not survive such a tremendous increase in torque. In addition, a high-torque capacity clutch provides not only improved lock-up but also ensures that the power can be handled reliably.

The S3-Factory Works M5 is clearly not for everyone. Some may even question the logic behind a street-car that produces over 600 horsepower. However, for those who demand nothing short of the most powerful, best handling, street legal sedan on the planet, no explanation is necessary. While there are certainly a handful of factory and tuner cars available that approach this level of performance, few if any offer the wonderful balance of luxury and comfort, let alone a functional back seat and trunk. And then there is the price of admission, the likes of which make the Dinan S3-M5 quite a Supercar value.

For that select group of drivers who get goose bumps just thinking about a 621 horsepower M5, the Dinan S3-Factory Works M5 is the clear choice. The S3 is sure to exceed even the wildest expectations for performance, while maintaining BMW-like drivability, as well as durability.

S3 Engine

Intercooled Supercharger System

S3 Engine Management
High Flow-Ram Air Intake
High Flow Throttle Bodies and Tuned Velocity Stacks
4:2:1 Stainless Steel Headers
Free Flow Exhaust

Peak Horsepower: 621 @ 7000 rpm
Peak Torque: 502 lb/ft @ 4500 rpm

Top Speed (6th gear @ 7300 rpm with Dinan wheel and tire package):
3.15 Final Drive: 209 mph
3.45 Final Drive: 191 mph

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Interesting. A few observations.

(1) With all this power, who needs a 3.45 Dinal Drive. I'll take the 209 mph top speed any time. There are quite a few cars that can do 191 mph at the top end. The list drops dramatically when you top out over 200 mph.

(2) Wonder why they did not post the standard 0-60 MPH, and quarter-mile times.

(3) Questions I want answers to: compression ratio, boost level, number of oil coolers, and knock-sensing device. All have to do with engine longivity.

(4) This thing just made the E60 M5 irrelevant (I like that).

CP

·
Registered
881 Posts
For your #2 above: perhaps because the car is actually no faster, (slower?), to 0-60 and/or 1/4 mile than a standard M5? I say this because with that much power thru' the rear wheels only, that it will be extremely difficult to launch quickly and successfully. Now when the S3 actually gets rolling, the in gear times will be phenomenal, and I'm sure from 30-100; 30-150, etc, the S3 will decimate the regular M5; but even 0-100 may not be too different. The S3 truly needs AWD to realistically get all of that power successfully to the ground.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
You may well be right. But seeing our speed limits are mostly 65 MPH, and a 100 MPH runs could land us in jail, that kind of renders the stunning performance to 150/180 MPH rather pointless. A sad reality of life I guess.

CP

·
Registered
113 Posts
Speaking with my Dinan tuner, he wasn't sure if they were actually going to go through with it because he stated that it may be too much power for the car to handle........ the gears, clutch, suspension, etc....

That's the word I got.

RKM

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just use drag radials to launch properly......true...the clutch absolutely needs an upgrade since they last 35k on this stock car... and the tranny will probably hold up

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I have one concern though. No bashing please.

I find it hard to believe that the pipe going from the supercharger to the intakes splits the air equally thus giving equal pressure to both banks. The pipe fromt he picture looks like a capital F and unless he has done something special that we cant see, the pressure of the pipe entering in the engine that is closest to the supercharger will have higher pressure than the one further away from it.

Just a little observation

Dinan

Discovery-Automotive

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I know is I would trust DINAN over RMS or DA due to their R&D budjet and staffing plus their priceless warranty

·
Registered
266 Posts
Black , I too questioned the inlet pipes difference, but considering low boost,and the length of the pressurized intake charge, and that the plenum being such size in volume, I don't think it's really anything to worry about.
Also the inlet pipe is directly off the vortech in yours and Tri's, a short run compared to the Dinans which makes a run down through a intercooler front mounted I'm assuming.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
That looks more like the test car rather than the final product.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
THis was all posted all ready do a search.

I think price was somthing like.

27k for supercharger stuff.

66 with teh s2 package (required)

1 yr 12,000 mile warrenty.

Under body bracing so forth and so on, tons of stuff.

search it.

by the way that split intake pipe has been done on all the discovery s/c'd cars as well. With new intake runners all that matters is the air gets in there.

·
10,455 Posts
Since the plenum is not divided, this is really not important. The plenum is just a big open box, so in theory you could just be putting air in thru one pipe.
Mike

Black M5 said:
I find it hard to believe that the pipe going from the supercharger to the intakes splits the air equally thus giving equal pressure to both banks.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
mottati said:
Since the plenum is not divided, this is really not important. The plenum is just a big open box, so in theory you could just be putting air in thru one pipe.
Mike
Good point. I forget that Dinan uses a intercooler mounted in the front thus doesnt need to worry about pressure like you said. It was just my first observation

In the picture above, one can see the that pipes are not completely round but more like an oval shape with the one further away from the supercharger even thinner to give equal pressure before entering in the aftercooler which has 2 banks.

·
Banned
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anyone have more details on the ESS SC and whether they are a good company?

----- Original Message ----- From: ESS Performance Products Inc.
Subject: Re: e39 m5 supercharger

It will be released in May/June. Prices will range from 10-15K depending on kit model.

Regards,

Asbjorn Bohn
ESS Performance Products AS
Sales & Operations Planning
Address: Rive, 1798 Aremark, Norway
Telephone: +4769198555 Fax: +4769198556
E-mail: [email protected]
Homepage: http://www.esstuning.com

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Subject: e39 m5 supercharger

when are you releasing the e39 m5 supercharger and how much will it be?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
from my ride in the S3, i'd guess that 0-60 won't be much different than the S2 -- but from there on the S3 times will be much quicker -- 1/4 times not that much different, but big speed difference.

note that with 3.15 gears, top speed is still rev-limited

the S3 will definitely be available. There's been an enormous amount of testing and software development (where the real time and money has been spent) and i don't see Steve telling his wife "sorry honey, i've spent 3 years and $$$$$ but we're not going to sell any."

although based on the time and $$ this may be the last supercharged BMW from Dinan

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
BRN64666 said:
and how much will cost the SC ???

Thank you
The cost will be around $27-30k if you already have the S2 package. If no S2, then the entire package will be around $66k.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
stever said:
from my ride in the S3
What were the circumstances for your ride? You were in the neighborhood and stopped by when Steve was in the office?

stever said:
the S3 will definitely be available. There's been an enormous amount of testing and software development (where the real time and money has been spent) and i don't see Steve telling his wife "sorry honey, i've spent 3 years and $$$$$ but we're not going to sell any."
No kidding.

stever said:
although based on the time and $$ this may be the last supercharged BMW from Dinan
This would be too bad, although with how long the E39 took, I can only imagine how long it would take to reverse engineer the E60 to the point it is problem free.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts