BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Working with NRW, see if we can make it happen here!
There was talk of a CF roof in the early days, but everyone wanted to retain a moonroof. I was the only one that wanted a slick top.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There was talk of a CF roof in the early days, but everyone wanted to retain a moonroof. I was the only one that wanted a slick top.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out.
I hate sunroofs and was almost going to order a Euro E60 skin to make 100% slick but the cost was going to be stupid. I feel this will be as effective and kill weight where it counts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Slowly but surely, more parts coming in and a full fuild refresh before the spring

·
2,167 Posts
Is that PN for the hotter thermostat? I've yet to hear someone neutral report any benefits from it. The only consistent report is that the fan runs for longer after shutting down - not a good thing.

Your trans and diff oil weights are off. Or is there a reason why you went with 2 grades heavier on the SMG but lighter on the diff?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Is that PN for the hotter thermostat? I've yet to hear someone neutral report any benefits from it. The only consistent report is that the fan runs for longer after shutting down - not a good thing.

Your trans and diff oil weights are off. Or is there a reason why you went with 2 grades heavier on the SMG but lighter on the diff?
Thermostat should assist in HG pressure since it’s opening sooner. Something I have heard a few people recommend. Why would fans running longer be a bad thing?

As far as the fluids, these were recommended by Jeup

·
2,167 Posts
What do you mean by HG pressure? If that's a hotter thermostat it will open later, not sooner.

Fans running constantly mean more wear. There are a few reported fan failures as-is already. And deeper battery cycling.

Interesting what Troy recommends for fluids. At the end of the day it's your car so not much to say other than be aware you're deviating from the recommended viscosity especially on the SMG. Funny enough I'm going the other way: will be switching from redline MTL to redline ATF (yes, redline ATF is the recommended redline fluid with matching viscosity to the OE fluid MTL2 for the SMG gearbox).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
What do you mean by HG pressure? If that's a hotter thermostat it will open later, not sooner.

Fans running constantly mean more wear. There are a few reported fan failures as-is already. And deeper battery cycling.

Interesting what Troy recommends for fluids. At the end of the day it's your car so not much to say other than be aware you're deviating from the recommended viscosity especially on the SMG. Funny enough I'm going the other way: will be switching from redline MTL to redline ATF (yes, redline ATF is the recommended redline fluid with matching viscosity to the OE fluid MTL2 for the SMG gearbox).
This thermostat is 160 vs 175f which means it will open sooner and reduces water pressure. With the MLS gasket this seems to be a ongoing concern vs the oem Elring gasket

In regards to SMG/diff fluids I’m still gaining feedback. Jeup knows the platform more so than most , up to a “healthy” debate here :)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
like those m5 sills....what did you tap them into for power front and back??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can you please provide a source or part number for that Alcántara trim?!? And any good place to purchase the Seibon trunk??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
More woes today. Whoever did the CIC controller jbwelded the trim onto the old stuff, also waiting for my LCI SMG trim. Powder coat tomorrow and seats will be done! Next hurdle , how to get upper and lower heating on the CANBUS

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Can you please provide a source or part number for that Alcántara trim?!? And any good place to purchase the Seibon trunk??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparktecmotors on EBay has the best deal on the hood and trunk. Hasslla_Performance did the trim stupid cheap and the quality is great!

·
Registered
310 Posts
So it's colder t-stat not hotter. Don't see any advantage either way, 174 is already pretty low compared to most oe which are 195. Colder T-Stats usually benefit force induction engines that get extra heat from the induction source.

Same goes for the fluid recommendations I see on FB groups based on Troy.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
21 - 40 of 44 Posts