BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)



Does anyone know the 0-60 on this Beast??

It apparently surpasses 210 mph & costs around 65K-


The article from Dinan-

"Car and Driver dubbed the 470 horsepower S2-M5 “a rocket”. A fitting description for one of Dinan’s finest high performance offerings to date. For those fortunate enough to own or have driven a Dinan S2-M5, it’s probably difficult to believe that a more powerful, better handling, street legal sedan could exist.

After over two years of development, testing and painstaking tuning, Dinan has once again raised the bar for street legal performance with the introduction of the supercharged S3-Factory Works M5. At 621 horsepower and 502 lb/ft torque, the S3-M5 is the most powerful street-car Dinan has produced in its 25 years of BMW performance tuning, elevating the M5 to true Supercar status. Suffice it to say that the “rocket” is now fully prepared for launch.

Producing this kind of power at full-throttle is one thing but doing so in a manner that meets Dinan’s strict criteria for drivability and reliability is quite another. The technology behind delivering such enormous amounts of power in a civilized, BMW-like manner is extremely complex, as you might well imagine. Fortunately for the M5 driver, uncompromising engineering and manufacturing standards are precisely what Dinan has been delivering to the BMW enthusiast for over 25 years. The S3-Factory Works M5 is perhaps the most shining example to date of what makes a Dinan BMW so much more than typical “tuner cars”.

The S3-M5 features a host of performance enhancements designed to enable the driver to take full advantage of the enormously powerful engine, improving not only acceleration, handling and braking power but also addressing the additional stresses 502 lb/ft of torque place on the vehicle’s drivetrain and chassis. As an example, durability testing revealed that reinforcement of the rear subframe mounts was necessary as the factory welds simply would not survive such a tremendous increase in torque. In addition, a high-torque capacity clutch provides not only improved lock-up but also ensures that the power can be handled reliably.

The S3-Factory Works M5 is clearly not for everyone. Some may even question the logic behind a street-car that produces over 600 horsepower. However, for those who demand nothing short of the most powerful, best handling, street legal sedan on the planet, no explanation is necessary. While there are certainly a handful of factory and tuner cars available that approach this level of performance, few if any offer the wonderful balance of luxury and comfort, let alone a functional back seat and trunk. And then there is the price of admission, the likes of which make the Dinan S3-M5 quite a Supercar value.

For that select group of drivers who get goose bumps just thinking about a 621 horsepower M5, the Dinan S3-Factory Works M5 is the clear choice. The S3 is sure to exceed even the wildest expectations for performance, while maintaining BMW-like drivability, as well as durability."

If you upgrade the Cam Shafts it boosts the S3 and additional 17 bhp, giving it 638 BHP!!!:M5launch:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
dmz said:
638hp only? I'd rather get the 800-900hp setup from D/A:D
You can get as much as you want! How much do you want to pay! Dinan keeps the stock bottom end and internals, which likely lowers the price a bit.

Are there any S3's on the road yet? The prototype was here in walnut creek, ca.,(i'd seen it on the road a dozen or so times, never got to speak with the owner though) what, 8-9 mos ago, but they took it apart and sold the car as an S2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
www.discovery-automotive.com

look under current projects

my car is the 01 Lemans
BlackM5's car is the Black one (of course)

both should push the 900+ Wheel Hp range

as for dinan...old news is good news. Have yet to see or hear anything else about this dinan guy. God knows that Stevie D probably told him to stay far away from this crowd and most boards for that matter as some of the obligitory Dinan bashing would shut down an entire forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
www.discovery-automotive.com

look under current projects

my car is the 01 Lemans
BlackM5's car is the Black one (of course)

both should push the 900+ Wheel Hp range

as for dinan...old news is good news. Have yet to see or hear anything else about this dinan guy. God knows that Stevie D probably told him to stay far away from this crowd and most boards for that matter as some of the obligitory Dinan bashing would shut down an entire forum.
So how much does something like that cost?? How long does it take? 0-60?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,289 Posts
cost...dependent upon what you want. Wish i could give you an idea...the internal work alone on the car was 20 or so. The entire project cost includes that of the brakes, aero, and all that...so i have no idea what the cost would be.


0-60 no idea yet. Shadowmans (the actual builder of the car) z8 runs about a 3.6 and probably a mid 11.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
Yes it's out they have a waiting list...0-60 is not relased but you can bet it's traction limited.


This has been posted, do a search it's all been said.


By the way the price is 66k if you don't already have the s2....27k with the s2 stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
mottati said:
Are there any S3's on the road yet? The prototype was here in walnut creek, ca.,(i'd seen it on the road a dozen or so times, never got to speak with the owner though) what, 8-9 mos ago, but they took it apart and sold the car as an S2.
Well, Steve's red M5 has been running arround with a Supercharger for some time. And, I was told there's a waiting list for S3 installation into summer. I'm sure all the lessor competitors will be trying their best to get a look at the S3 package and ripoff whatever ideas they can (e.g. the rearend strengthening parts).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5,
When you say "this dinan guy" I interpret this to mean that you are referring to the guy who had the S/C'ed test mule from Dinan.

"as for dinan...old news is good news. Have yet to see or hear anything else about this dinan guy. God knows that Stevie D probably told him to stay far away from this crowd and most boards for that matter as some of the obligitory Dinan bashing would shut down an entire forum. "

If so I do not believe that you are correct that Steve Dinan told him to stay away from this board. In fact he did join up; but only for a short while as the reception he received was less than friendly. Although he was accused of insulting a long time member, IMO it was the Dinan bashing that drove him away as some of the members could not understand/believe that he let Dinan have his M5 for two years to develop the S3 kit. And they did not hesitate to tell him so. This was about a year ago and we lost a good chance to find out the real scope about that car. So of course some members had a better idea and went with Osh/RMS. As Dr. Phil would say -- how is that working for you. So almost two years in the making (counting the time at RMS) we will see how the D/A S/C'ed M5s perform and hold up. Other than the first RMS BlackM5, the Dinan test mule, and that S/C'd M5 in Long Island that is for sale, I do not believe that we have a long term S/C'd M5 to study.

Well I hope that you and BlackM5 have good luck with your cars. Hopefully we will learn from you guys that the M5 motor can be modified to handle 800-900 hp over an extended period of time. And also hopefully someone will put up the money to move from a S2 to a S3 so we can compare -- not just performance but how they hold up over time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
phinnbillM5 said:
SC'dKellenersM5,
When you say "this dinan guy" I interpret this to mean that you are referring to the guy who had the S/C'ed test mule from Dinan.

"as for dinan...old news is good news. Have yet to see or hear anything else about this dinan guy. God knows that Stevie D probably told him to stay far away from this crowd and most boards for that matter as some of the obligitory Dinan bashing would shut down an entire forum. "

If so I do not believe that you are correct that Steve Dinan told him to stay away from this board. In fact he did join up; but only for a short while as the reception he received was less than friendly. Although he was accused of insulting a long time member, IMO it was the Dinan bashing that drove him away as some of the members could not understand/believe that he let Dinan have his M5 for two years to develop the S3 kit. And they did not hesitate to tell him so. This was about a year ago and we lost a good chance to find out the real scope about that car. So of course some members had a better idea and went with Osh/RMS. As Dr. Phil would say -- how is that working for you. So almost two years in the making (counting the time at RMS) we will see how the D/A S/C'ed M5s perform and hold up. Other than the first RMS BlackM5, the Dinan test mule, and that S/C'd M5 in Long Island that is for sale, I do not believe that we have a long term S/C'd M5 to study.

Well I hope that you and BlackM5 have good luck with your cars. Hopefully we will learn from you guys that the M5 motor can be modified to handle 800-900 hp over an extended period of time. And also hopefully someone will put up the money to move from a S2 to a S3 so we can compare -- not just performance but how they hold up over time.
Well said...But I would like to add, Guys like black m5 have pushed the envelope, but thats not really an M5 engine no more with all they changed :)...Not to mention I can guess what they paid. :) worth it to some, insane no doubt, not worth it to others, but sick for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
I dont think that long term and 800-900 hp should be used in the same sentence unless you build a whole new car. I think that 600-700 in more reasonable and with enough speed to make most happy. could you imagine trying to launch a 800-900 horse with around 600 lb/ft torque. You might not even think you pushed the pedal. I have s2 and can barely get by with flooring it at sart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
jimmyz2 said:
I disagree.It is a real BMW engine.Shadowman just put a little make-up on her.;)
Don't think makeup covers it. Steroids and some serious internal/external upgrades for the motor and car to produce/survive that kind of power increase in a already pretty highly stressed engine.

Still waiting to see how long these cars last..........even if I could pull off the $$$$$ to supercharge.....the rebuild would force a second mortgage.

After all the serious Dinan bashing by a few of RMS's customers previously, I'm still very interested how this all plays out in the long run......

I really do wish all the best to those with the cajones and $$$$$ to be the test pilots for the rest of us........go get 'em boys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Hey SC, hope you are not taking things out of context. I think your car looks great and that DA/Bill's handiwork sure looks top notch (not to be compared with a certain former LA area shop). I'm hoping to stop in on DA and take a peek if it's still at DA later next month.

You guys are definitely pushing the envelope very hard and more (much more) power to you guys. I think there will be a lot to learn from/with your experiences and I'm glad you all have had the fortitude and perserverence to make a huge bulge in the known M5 performance envelope.

We may not agree on the worthiness of Dinan products (although I expect we do on RMS at this point) but hey, it's a free country if you believe ole GWB and his cronies more than Putin and his old KGB buddies..........

Still think we need a video of you, Black, Steve D., and a Kleemann E55 drag racing side by side with 0-210 times before the twins go seperate ways......... :haha2:

Will definitely say that DA's supercharger setup looks 'purdier' than the Morgan Hill version in any of the photo's I have seen. Guy's at Morgan Hill please take note if you are interested getting any of my $$$$$ down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
I though reliability is is the hole point in building the internal of the motor. I am willing to bet that a SC'd 800hp with a built motor will be more reliable than a SC'd 600HP with stock internal setup.:wroom:



bluestreak said:
I dont think that long term and 800-900 hp should be used in the same sentence unless you build a whole new car. I think that 600-700 in more reasonable and with enough speed to make most happy. could you imagine trying to launch a 800-900 horse with around 600 lb/ft torque. You might not even think you pushed the pedal. I have s2 and can barely get by with flooring it at sart
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,455 Posts
dmz said:
I though reliability is is the hole point in building the internal of the motor. I am willing to bet that a SC'd 800hp with a built motor will be more reliable than a SC'd 600HP with stock internal setup.:wroom:
Bill has been running pretty high boost on his z8 with a stock bottom end, around 10psi iirc, with no probs thus far.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
dmz said:
I though reliability is is the hole point in building the internal of the motor. I am willing to bet that a SC'd 800hp with a built motor will be more reliable than a SC'd 600HP with stock internal setup.:wroom:
As far as the motor is concerned that is quite possibly true. Supercharging a motor that was not built the ground up for it, has inherent risks even at 5 psi if heat or gas lead to detonation. So far, I don't see anyone offering a three year warranty on the whole car.

It's a lot of money to be betting if it's your motor that grenades so my personal plan is to wait and see how things go. Then again, we all have individual levels of financial independance and risk tolerance.

With 800-900hp it will be interesting to see how the frame, suspension, drivetrain, tranny ect endure that kind of twist over time. Perhaps the tires limiting ability to connect that power to the ground will be the saving grace. :M5rev: :M5launch: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Just to add some info here. The boost will be between 15-18 psi and the figures you stated are correct.. 800-900 hp but that will be measured at the wheels and not crank ! God hell us all
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top