BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm the original owner; 'car will be 9 years old in May, and has total 95K+ miles. You can review my prior threads about S2 build in Jan. '05, and S3 upgrade in Dec. '06.

Bottom line: except for 2 front JRZ shocks replaced last year under warranty, 'car has been absolutely "bullet proof". 'Hasn't even "coughed", let alone anything breaking. Yes, I'm a fanantic about pro-active maintenance. 'Often get asked: "Is that car new??" and "What the hell are you running in that thing??"

'Car is still a quiet, smooth, luxury cruiser; but sound and fury when "balls to the wall" driving is always intoxicating. 'Never tire of this car.

Anyway, 'will update again in another year. Yes indeed!!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm the original owner; 'car will be 9 years old in May, and has total 95K+ miles. You can review my prior threads about S2 build in Jan. '05, and S3 upgrade in Dec. '06.

Bottom line: except for 2 front JRZ shocks replaced last year under warranty, 'car has been absolutely "bullet proof". 'Hasn't even "coughed", let alone anything breaking.

'Car is still a quiet, smooth, luxury cruiser; but sound and fury when "balls to the wall" driving is always intoxicating. 'Never tire of this car.

Anyway, 'will update again in another year.
Thanks for the update and good to know that all is well with the S3... Nice to see a post as well from one of the original "old" group... :grinyes:

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Great to hear from you Dan! I've wondered whatever became of you! (Perhaps some have wondered the same of me.. :3:)

As further testament to Dan's report, I can personally vouch that Dan's car is NOT a pampered garage queen. I had the pleasure of being taken for a wild ride with one of AGA's signature 9/10's road tests. The car really does seem to be bullet proof. And I know Dan loves his backroad 'hot footin'...

:goldcup:

Dave

·
Registered
637 Posts

Bottom line: except for 2 front JRZ shocks replaced last year under warranty, 'car has been absolutely "bullet proof". 'Hasn't even "coughed", let alone anything breaking. Yes, I'm a fanantic about pro-active maintenance. 'Often get asked: "Is that car new??" and "What the hell are you running in that thing??"

Anyway, 'will update again in another year. Yes indeed!!
Looking forward to the 10 year 100k+ mile write up. :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for the update, Dan! Looking forward to seeing you on San Diego roads. Lon and I don't really see you as often anymore. I work up in Encinitas now so we'll see. ;)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Wonderful; that is very impressive reliability for such a highly tuned car. I'm pleased the car is still entertaining you after all these years, some marriages don't last as long and are probably not as much fun...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
DRM,

How would you rate your "cost of ownership" compared to a stock M5 as far as preventitive maintenance now that it is an S3? Nice to hear that Dinan has proven it's mods can stand the test of time/miles.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DRM,

How would you rate your "cost of ownership" compared to a stock M5 as far as preventitive maintenance now that it is an S3? Nice to hear that Dinan has proven it's mods can stand the test of time/miles.
Except for changing the plugs every 20k miles, there isn't any extra maintenance required for an S3. When I say "pro-active" maintenance, I'm referring to all the things even a stock car needs as it ages. A water pump @ 75k miles is a good example. 'Didn't wait for it to fail. 'Just took (and take) my indy shop's owner recommendation. He's been taking care of and modding my cars for 20 years. 'Never leads me astray, and I trust his judgement completely.

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh.....

+1..there are fewer and fewer of us around it would seem....but then again I guess that is just par for the course.
I read the board pretty regularly, Serg. 'Just seems most posts are from 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on owners, who have lots of questions I can't contribute much to. They are usually 3rd, 4th, 5th owners; and Lord only knows how their car was treated before they bought it.

Anyway, as I've often said, 'believe I'll be keeping/driving this car 'till "the wheels fall off". It was a wonderful "drivers car" when stock, and even much more so now.

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I read the board pretty regularly, Serg. 'Just seems most posts are from 3rd, 4th, 5th and so on owners, who have lots of questions I can't contribute much to. They are usually 3rd, 4th, 5th owners; and Lord only knows how their car was treated before they bought it.

Anyway, as I've often said, 'believe I'll be keeping/driving this car 'till "the wheels fall off". It was a wonderful "drivers car" when stock, and even much more so now.
out of curiosity..who rebuilt the JRZs???...I was under the impression that Dinan no longer used that set-up because of issues with JRZ themselves..supply etc.
And I agree....now that the price of these animals has come down so much you see cars on their 4/5 owners......almost like a crap shoot makes a good PPI ever the more important....
as an aside..remember our buddy Bonehead??....he just did a reckless LOL..EVOMS conversion to his 997TT..I believe 725 was what the dyno said...LOL
Regards
S

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dan-

Great to hear from you on the board again! This is really impressive and gives me confidence in my S3. Ive only had mine for a year but I have to echo the same thoughts.

As for the preventative maintenance schedule, does Martin at AGA have that documented anywhere? If I recall he didn't but just wanted to check as i would love to see it!

Hope all is well!!

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

I'm with you guys too. I was just thinking to other day how much this board has changed recently and where all the old folks are these days. :) When a thread recently mentioned an S3, I thought of you Dan and wondered what you'd been up to and how the car was doing (actually thought you might have sold it ??????). It's great to hear the S3 is doing so well -- what a great, integrated, and well-engineered package.

I've been waiting on Dave to report on another car show win with El Diablo too, but he's gone into hiding also. :hihi:

As for my beast, it's been hiding out in the garage on the battery tender most of the time, but I do try to get it out to autox events whenever I can. Last fall I went down to Atlanta and ran with the BMW CCA at Lake Lanier Islands, and a guy there put together a great video of the event. The M5 makes it appearance at 0:14 with my wife putting on numbers, 0:22 in grid, and then a super slow-motion action sequence at 1:34. :M5launch: So that's what I've been up to with the M5 lately. :) I still greatly enjoy the car all these years later. Up to 57k miles now.

Anyway, congrats on continued enjoyment of an awesome car.:applause:

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
I'm with you guys too. I was just thinking to other day how much this board has changed recently and where all the old folks are these days. :)
Chuck
i agree nice to hear good things about the S3. I lurk mostly on the e39 (and e60) sides, and occasionally post in the e34 pages (my only M car at this time). I miss my e39, and recently got word that is may be on the road to being parted out.... :crying:

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nice to hear from the old guard!

i agree nice to hear good things about the S3. I lurk mostly on the e39 (and e60) sides, and occasionally post in the e34 pages (my only M car at this time). I miss my e39, and recently got word that is may be on the road to being parted out.... :crying:
Not so nice to hear about your white beauty Mike. :( I'm guessing you've been keeping an eye on the market for another e39....? :cool:

I've been waiting on Dave to report on another car show win with El Diablo too, but he's gone into hiding also. :hihi:
I managed to kick the board habit to immerse myself in building a new company, which can be really consuming. Diablo will emerge from hibernation this Spring in Beantown... Can't keep the itch scratched for long! :haha2:

Dave

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Thanks for the S3 report; like many who have responded, I also wondered what had become of the car (and you!).

Expectantly the demographics of the E39 board has changed. On the plus side, there is much more mechanical/DIY information on the board than when I first joined. Although I do not perform the majority of work on my car, I do enjoy learning about the car and am definitely more knowledgeable when it does need work.

Reactions: Blockdoc

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Nice to hear from you Dan!
I am not quite as much part of the "old guard" as you, but I certainly miss having you around here!
I also lurk more than post nowadays...

Take care

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for the update. Any new pics of the S3?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Emissions

This is now on the Dinan website when you look up the E39 supercharger system:

"Racing Only. This product is not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution controlled motor vehicles."

Have any of you S3 owners had problems getting through emissions inspections? (Particularly in CA) The site used to say that it was legal in CA but I guess something changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts