BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but isn't this possible??? Are the mats and decklid badge worth 10K? With the $$ you could save throw in a SSK, clutch, and a nice 2 week vacation. Just a thought...:thumbsup:

Dinan S2 Package<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

<TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="BACKGROUND: white; WIDTH: 130.72%; mso-cellspacing: 0in; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 0in 0in" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="130%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-row-margin-right: 29.88%"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 70.12%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width="70%">Stage 5 Engine Software; <o:p></o:p>

High Flow Cold Air Intake; <o:p></o:p>

High Flow Air Mass Meters; <o:p></o:p>

High Flow Throttle Bodies & Velocity Stacks; <o:p></o:p>

Header System; <o:p></o:p>

Free Flow Exhaust; <o:p></o:p>

Strut and <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Shock</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Tower</st1:placeType></st1:place> Braces; <o:p></o:p>

Stage 2 Suspension System; <o:p></o:p>

3.45 Limited Slip Differential;<o:p></o:p>

Stage 1 Lightweight Flywheel; <o:p></o:p>

Signature Series Floor Mats;<o:p></o:p>

Dinan Deck Lid Badge; <o:p></o:p>

Serial Numbered S2- M5 Plaque<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-cell-special: placeholder" width="29%" colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 70.12%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width="70%">$27,116<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Altrnative products S2<o:p></o:p>

Engine Software – (Powerchip) etc - $1000<o:p></o:p>

CAI - (AA if not stock) - $900<o:p></o:p>

Dinan High Flow Air Mass Meters - $1200<o:p></o:p>

Dinan Throttle Bodies - $2600<o:p></o:p>

RD Velocity Stacks – $895<o:p></o:p>

Header (Supersprint) - $2500<o:p></o:p>

Exhaust – (Britalman, Full Catback) - $1700 <o:p></o:p>

Alutec Strut Bars– $190<o:p></o:p>

Dinan Shock tower brace - $400<o:p></o:p>

Eiback Anti-Sway Bars – $400<o:p></o:p>

Bilstein PSS 9 Coilover Suspension - $2000<o:p></o:p>

Evo Gears, Stock Lockup - $2500<o:p></o:p>

Rogue / UUC / Spec Flywheel - $900<o:p></o:p>

Total: $17,185<o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 0.18%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width=0%><o:p></o:p>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 29.7%; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top width="29%"><o:p></o:p>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
98 Posts
I guess so, but I didn't have the time to screw around with all the separate mods (wish I did!) The other attractions are you know all the bits will work together and its warranted by Dinan and BMW. Granted, it's expensive but at least you know its going to work....:wroom:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I was reading in this months roundel magazine and they have a m3 in it with a S62 motor that they claim makes 485 hp, and the article mentions that they achieve this with a ram air tyoe intake, unless I missed something, I am writing this off memory, did they do other things and if not is this product or method available for the E39 M5, maybe someone who has read the article can eloborate more, I can find my copy, think the wife throw it away, Josh

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
You forgot the new clutch you'd need to interface with the UUC or RE flywheel, so add another $750.

The Dinan products are all tested in series, so you know they work exactly as advertised, WITH all the other parts. There is always the possibility of conflict between different manufacturers' solutions if used in tandem. Also, cheaper is not always comperable. After spending 80k on a car I was not inclined to start pinching pennies when it comes to modifying her $20k engine. I wanted quality, proven quality, so I went to Dinan. I've used other manufacturers' products in certain other applications, but always when study showed they were of superior quality.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I also would not want to screw around with the mixing of mods. The engine management software is very sensitive to changes in intake and exhaust. The Dinan approach provides huge piece of mind in that I won't see a check engine light or experience some failure other than my own negligence. I have had no issues since building up the the S2 mods and the car performs flawlessly and has much more torque down low and pulls a lot harder than the stock setup used to. I have read the horror stories on the board and to me the additional cost/confidence outweighs having to deal with multiple vendors to track down an issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Even though I own an S2, I think the original question makes sense if you are not trying to install a complete package. In other words, if you are just going to do the exhaust, intake, etc mixing and matching probably is fine. For a complete A to Z mod , however, it think it makes sense to get an integrated package like Dinan, Kelleners, etc. if you want it to be debugged from day one.

·
Company Representative for Active Autowerke
189 Posts
Hey guys,

Just so you know we will be offering similiar performance packages for your M5.

The basic package will include Headers, Active Autowerke CAI (ram air), Performance Software.

You will be able to upgrade to complete exhaust system if you would like.

For more details on the specials and pricing send me a PM for more info.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I have a question. Why does AA use two superchargers to get the M5 to 600hp when it takes Dinan only one to get to 621hp?

·
189 Posts
palantirion said:
I have a question. Why does AA use two superchargers to get the M5 to 600hp when it takes Dinan only one to get to 621hp?
I dont want to comment on this until we get our final numbers. I apologize for the delay in the release of the system. Additional parts have been manafactured and we are awaiting arrival to continue R&D efforts. Thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Active, you say one of your future performance packages will offer a "Ram Air" how will this differ from your current CAI? thanks, Josh

·
189 Posts
bmwusa said:
Active, you say one of your future performance packages will offer a "Ram Air" how will this differ from your current CAI? thanks, Josh
Sorry I may have been a little confusing. Our current CAI is a ram air system.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
palantirion said:
cheaper is not always comperable. After spending 80k on a car I was not inclined to start pinching pennies when it comes to modifying her $20k engine. I wanted quality, proven quality, so I went to Dinan. I've used other manufacturers' products in certain other applications, but always when study showed they were of superior quality.
I do beg to differ. First, a lot of people are only spending 40k on a M5. Also, It can hurt someones cash flow to spend 8k on a set of BS headers from Dinan when the SS headers are less than half the price. Not to mention WAY better. The only thing proven to me about Dinan is they have an exellent promotion department. BMW does not cover there parts. Nor do they cover anything in your motor if you have ANYTHING Dinan. Headers, Chip, Throttle bodies, non of that is acceptable. Dinan has there own warranty. My example is headers and throttle bodies. 1k apiece for the throttle bodies....what performance figure do you gain? Dinan CAI....garbage. I had it. The AA intake is way better. I learned about Dinan after "thinking" they were the only and best BMW tuner out there. Thousands of dollars later, I will not have ONE piece of Dinan on my car.

JMHO......

josh.
edit.....I might be wrong about that throttle body price. sorry.

·
Registered
466 Posts
phillym5 said:
I do beg to differ. First, a lot of people are only spending 40k on a M5. Also, It can hurt someones cash flow to spend 8k on a set of BS headers from Dinan when the SS headers are less than half the price. Not to mention WAY better. The only thing proven to me about Dinan is they have an exellent promotion department. BMW does not cover there parts. Nor do they cover anything in your motor if you have ANYTHING Dinan. Headers, Chip, Throttle bodies, non of that is acceptable. Dinan has there own warranty. My example is headers and throttle bodies. 1k apiece for the throttle bodies....what performance figure do you gain? Dinan CAI....garbage. I had it. The AA intake is way better. I learned about Dinan after "thinking" they were the only and best BMW tuner out there. Thousands of dollars later, I will not have ONE piece of Dinan on my car.

JMHO......

josh.
I always LUV these people who say way better. Cheaper YES, Different YES. They use a completely different design that produces HP/torque in the upper RPM band generrally vice the mid range. You have to decid what you want. Many people are just looking for the raw HP numbers. If so sure.. buy the cheapest that give you the numbers.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
phillym5 said:

JMHO......

josh.
Is there another company that can make 481 naturally aspirated hp from the S62 without sacrificing it's low-end, mileage, emmissions or reliability?

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
palantirion said:
Is there another company that can make 481 naturally aspirated hp from the S62 without sacrificing it's low-end, mileage, emmissions or reliability?
I'm not sure we've proven there is even ONE company that will deliver that.... with any kind of assurances....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.