BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on picking up an 08 M5 6-speed and was considering adding the Dinan S2 package to the car, I have had Dinan packages in the past but it seems with the M5 it is getting mixed reviews. The car already has Dinan exhaust and I know if I did a package it would not add anything to the car in resell but do you guys think it is worth adding, if not are there cretin options I should add to it?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
307 Posts
From what I've seen it is very difficult to make this car any faster than how it came off the showroom. I own a 2007 that is completely stock, I've raced at least 20 stock and modded M5's and the only one I've ever lost to belongs to darren_dallas. maybe it's the driver? Darren has Evosport headers, underdrive pulley, race cats, Dinan Exhaust, AA software. I raced Darren many times before during and after every mod he's done and if you ask me the headers and race cats provided the best hp gains. A stroker from Dinan will help a lot @ $40k, twin superchargers from ? will help, ASR NOS is good. Oh, make sure you remove your charcoal filters. :thumbsup:

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Since I do not know the specifics, What exactly are the components in the Dinan S2 package?
Also is there an S3 package or is that the stroker?
Of course this is all referring to the E60 M5.

Thank you
M5Ranger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since I do not know the specifics, What exactly are the components in the Dinan S2 package?
Also is there an S3 package or is that the stroker?
Of course this is all referring to the E60 M5.

Thank you
M5Ranger
I do not think they have an S3 package yet but here is the info regarding the S2:

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S2-Package-c-551-p-3965.html

Stage 3 Engine Software; Free Flow Exhaust; High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intake Assemblies; Ram Air Duct Kit; High Flow Throttle Bodies; Stage 2 Suspension System; Carbon Fiber Front Strut and Rear Shock Braces; 3.91 Limited Slip Differential; Dinan Pedal Pads; Dinan Deck Lid Badge; Serial Numbered Dinan-S2 Plaque

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, make sure you remove your charcoal filters. :thumbsup:
I will make sure the charcoal filters are removed, that is the first thing I have on my list.

I guess for some reason the car didn't feel fast when I drove it today even in P500 Sport. I drove an smg 06 a while ago and it felt a lot faster which is the why I am now looking at aftermarket upgrades, but it might just be a wast of money if it isn't going to make a worlds of difference.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I do not think they have an S3 package yet but here is the info regarding the S2:

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S2-Package-c-551-p-3965.html

Stage 3 Engine Software; Free Flow Exhaust; High Flow Air Mass Meter/Intake Assemblies; Ram Air Duct Kit; High Flow Throttle Bodies; Stage 2 Suspension System; Carbon Fiber Front Strut and Rear Shock Braces; 3.91 Limited Slip Differential; Dinan Pedal Pads; Dinan Deck Lid Badge; Serial Numbered Dinan-S2 Plaque
(my opinion) save your money. $14k plus labor. Is Dinan still utilizing the removal of charcoal filters as part of their whp gains? :nono: Get headers, high flow cats (performance), and exhaust if you want it louder.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will make sure the charcoal filters are removed, that is the first thing I have on my list.

I guess for some reason the car didn't feel fast when I drove it today even in P500 Sport. I drove an smg 06 a while ago and it felt a lot faster which is the why I am now looking at aftermarket upgrades, but it might just be a wast of money if it isn't going to make a worlds of difference.
If you just got your car.. charcoal filter removal is mandatory, about 20 whp and the cost is free. M5's may vary in power (stock) but not by much. For max power make sure 1) Charcoal filters are gone 2) You are in P500 Sport 3) DSC is off 4) Shift mode = S6. Even in P500 Sport, if you have DSC ON you're missing out.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
The entire list of components they advertize for $14,400 and 37 hrs. of labor (approx. $3,700 ? guess).
All this and they claim 36 or 37 bhp.
To me this is disappointing. If it even materializes.

Supersprint headers, Evosport pulley, AA ECU software and Evosport 3.91 diff my M5 gained 52 rwhp over stock ( 408 to 460 rwhp).

Cheers, M5Ranger...Juan

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yeah, for almost 18k, you can achieve much more than their 40 crank hp. Be wary, some of their mods are very disputed due to a lack of performance on dyno's.

Reactions: M5 Junky

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I read that right, looks like there's a loss of torque in the "S" Package. The only engine mod is the exhaust. Power climbs 7 crank hp to 507, but torque dips from 383 to 373. If that holds true and that 373 isn't a typo, I'll be keeping the exhaust stock.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The entire list of components they advertize for $14,400 and 37 hrs. of labor (approx. $3,700 ? guess).
All this and they claim 36 or 37 bhp.
To me this is disappointing. If it even materializes.

Supersprint headers, Evosport pulley, AA ECU software and Evosport 3.91 diff my M5 gained 52 rwhp over stock ( 408 to 460 rwhp).

Cheers, M5Ranger...Juan
Juan,

You left out the fact that not all of those parts are engine mods. There is a stage 2 suspension strut braces and the 3.91 Diff. So really it is under $10k and way less labor if you only want to compare HP mods to HP mods.

And the invaluable differece of brand new car 100% warranty covered.

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
... are there cretin options I should add to it?
Yeah, mud flaps with chicks on them, fuzzy dice from the rear view mirror, sheepskin cover on the steering wheel...all signs of a real cretin.

:)
A

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
550Chris your point is correct regarding the components of the S2 package.
Actual engine performance components are the TB's, software, intakes with MAF's (larger) and exhaust.

The new air-intakes in their cost, they do include the upgraded software or not?

Also did I hear and understand correctly in the videos that the metal filter/screen in the old air boxes is removed (the volumetric filter)?
If so how again is air flow turbulence controlled and not get a CEL ?

Cheers, M5Ranger...Juan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts