BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the happy owner of a 2003 Dinan S2 M5 road rocket. I have been following BMW's routine maintenance recommendations for the last 15 months, but wonder if the Dinan modifications create new maintenance requirements. For instance, are there filter elements inside of the carbon fiber air intakes that need periodic cleaning, and if so, how often? Other recommendations? I really appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
maintenance stays the same except for those air filters...normal air filters need to be cleaned/changed about every 30,000 miles. Thats not a bad limit to live by but i would clean/change them more frequently. Since you are looking for power, i would change/clean them about every 15,000 miles especially in dusty/sandy areas

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
For instance, are there filter elements inside of the carbon fiber air intakes that need periodic cleaning, and if so, how often?
Hey S2driver, :M5thumbs:

Congrats on the S2, and welcome to the board.

There aren't filters inside the Carbon tubes, They are on the end of the tubes, and they should have a sock over them. (Picture Ovaries. hiha )

:M5launch:

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'm the happy owner of a 2003 Dinan S2 M5 road rocket. I have been following BMW's routine maintenance recommendations for the last 15 months, but wonder if the Dinan modifications create new maintenance requirements. For instance, are there filter elements inside of the carbon fiber air intakes that need periodic cleaning, and if so, how often? Other recommendations? I really appreciate the advice!
I also have an S2 M5. I clean the filter socks monthly and I change filters every 10,000 miles. That may seem excessive, but then again, if you want to insure top performance...

I also do an oil change every 3000 miles and I did a complete fluid change (diff, tranny, and coolant) at 28K.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
maintenance stays the same except for those air filters...normal air filters need to be cleaned/changed about every 30,000 miles. Thats not a bad limit to live by but i would clean/change them more frequently. Since you are looking for power, i would change/clean them about every 15,000 miles especially in dusty/sandy areas

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
Thanks very much!
Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MIB said:
Hey S2driver, :M5thumbs:

Congrats on the S2, and welcome to the board.

There aren't filters inside the Carbon tubes, They are on the end of the tubes, and they should have a sock over them. (Picture Ovaries. hiha )

:M5launch:
Interesting analogy - esp. since I am a gynecologist! (No joke.) Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MIB said:
Hey M5,

I'm Psychic. Or is that Psychotic, I forget sometimes. hiha J/K

:cheers:
Time for me to sound like an idiot now . . . how do you access the ends of the tubes to get to the socks and filters? Does the car need to be on a lift, or should they be accessible from inside the hood? (Or is that "bonnet?") I can trace my beautiful carbon fiber intakes laterally and inferiorly . . . but cannot find the ends, at least not easily.

Some S2's have the intake openings replacing the fog light openings, but mine does not. Frankly, I do not know where the Hell they go. Fortunately, I am a better physician and surgeon than I am a mechanic! Thanks to all for the helpful replies.
Tom

·
10,445 Posts
To access the filters, you can either take off the bumper cover (not as hard as it sounds, but a bit awkward) or the lower covers which are also the forward (anterior, i suppose) part of the front wheelwell. I believe it's 3-4 10mm bolts, and 3 6 or 8 mm bolts, in the wheel well. The liner will then drop down and you can access the filter. The filter itself is up behind the foglights. Dinan suggests replacing them q30k miles. THey also specifically recommend not cleaning them, the average guy would over-oil the filter, which can foul up the mass airflow sensor.

If you don't have the opened foglamp area, you can get the dinan "CAI upgrade" which is part of the newer system. My dinan guy told me they charge $900 for this, installed. It consists of the open fog lamp rings, and a couple of cleverly designed baffles which keep hot engine compartment, post radiator air away from the filters, and also keeps water out. You do not need the filter sock with this system. I recently inquired about this since my cai kit didn't include the socks (newer design, with the baffles). I must say, that price doesn't seem too bad, the labor to install the baffles is easily equal to installing the cai itself (i did the whole kit myself, took the better part of an afternoon, very therapeutic for me).
Mike :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mottati said:
To access the filters, you can either take off the bumper cover (not as hard as it sounds, but a bit awkward) or the lower covers which are also the forward (anterior, i suppose) part of the front wheelwell. I believe it's 3-4 10mm bolts, and 3 6 or 8 mm bolts, in the wheel well. The liner will then drop down and you can access the filter. The filter itself is up behind the foglights. Dinan suggests replacing them q30k miles. THey also specifically recommend not cleaning them, the average guy would over-oil the filter, which can foul up the mass airflow sensor.

If you don't have the opened foglamp area, you can get the dinan "CAI upgrade" which is part of the newer system. My dinan guy told me they charge $900 for this, installed. It consists of the open fog lamp rings, and a couple of cleverly designed baffles which keep hot engine compartment, post radiator air away from the filters, and also keeps water out. You do not need the filter sock with this system. I recently inquired about this since my cai kit didn't include the socks (newer design, with the baffles). I must say, that price doesn't seem too bad, the labor to install the baffles is easily equal to installing the cai itself (i did the whole kit myself, took the better part of an afternoon, very therapeutic for me).
Mike,
Many thanks for the excellent and detailed info. I don't have a local Dinan guy as my car was purchased / modified several hours away in Atlanta. The average BMW dealer doesn't know much about this stuff, so I appreciate the learned guidance and will try to figure this out myself. Have a good week!

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mottati said:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mottati said:

Mike,
Just had new Michelin PS2's installed yesterday. I asked my mechanic to check on the K&N's while the front wheels were off, and he said they were dirty and needed replacing. (He cleaned the socks.) Unfortunately he lacked the foresight to note the part number of the filters. Can you help me here? When replacing filters, are the socks reusable? Thanks,
Tom

·
10,445 Posts
Mike,
Just had new Michelin PS2's installed yesterday. I asked my mechanic to check on the K&N's while the front wheels were off, and he said they were dirty and needed replacing. (He cleaned the socks.) Unfortunately he lacked the foresight to note the part number of the filters. Can you help me here? When replacing filters, are the socks reusable? Thanks,
Tom
The socks are washable and reuseable. Do you know how many miles were on the k&n's? The look dirty before they really are dirty. Dinan suggests replacement q30k miles. Go to www.dinancars.com and look under the e39 M5 page, they have the part number posted.
FWIW, the filters are washable. You or your mechanic can wash and re-oil using a k&n kit. Dinan specifically recommends not doing this however, as too much oil will foul up the MAFS. But someone experienced in servicing oiled cotton gauze filters should have no problems.
I'm not sure if dinan uses an off the shelf k&n filter, as it has a different color to it than the pink hue of k&n oil, iirc. FWIW#2, dinan no longer supplies those filter socks with it's "updated" kits, which have various baffles to keep water out, i should peek in and look at mine sometime.
Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mottati said:
The socks are washable and reuseable. Do you know how many miles were on the k&n's? The look dirty before they really are dirty. Dinan suggests replacement q30k miles. Go to www.dinancars.com and look under the e39 M5 page, they have the part number posted.
FWIW, the filters are washable. You or your mechanic can wash and re-oil using a k&n kit. Dinan specifically recommends not doing this however, as too much oil will foul up the MAFS. But someone experienced in servicing oiled cotton gauze filters should have no problems.
I'm not sure if dinan uses an off the shelf k&n filter, as it has a different color to it than the pink hue of k&n oil, iirc. FWIW#2, dinan no longer supplies those filter socks with it's "updated" kits, which have various baffles to keep water out, i should peek in and look at mine sometime.
Mike
Mike,
About 18K on the mileage. This guy has experience with re-conditioning the filters, so I'll probably just ask him to do that for now. Thanks again,
Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts