BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have rad all of the threads and for those that say it is a worthy mod - there are those that "think" they feel a difference. I am installing the BP brackets and figured while I am on my back it might make sense - but no need to waste money on worthless mods.

Not sure I see the reasoning of doing the rear and not the front - I know the front is a real PIA to install but that is not of any real concern after doing engine/tranny drops on 911's this should be cake.

Read how the front is not really worth it and the rear seems to make a difference. So if I were to give you your money back on the bar, plus any install charges and you lose the bar are you unhappy?

-Jeff
nolift911

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Happy with bar. It's not a lot thicker but enough so that it can affect the handling balance. The bar has three sets of holes. The outer holes are the softest setting. If you run the middle position and drive 10/10ths, you'll have enough oversteer to bring the rear end around. I've never had the nerve to try the inner setting. I'd say that the bar is plenty effective enough!

B

·
0 Posts
It clearly does make a difference. It can be felt most when moving from the outside hole to the middle hole. Some may say they don't feel much of a difference, because they are still using the recommended outside hole.

It is a very inexpensive and effective mod.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I would definately reccomend it as well. For the money, it is a very good improvement in the car's handling.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I second the opinions above. The M5 front swaybar is thick enough. The addition of the Dinan rear swaybar on the middle setting provides a good balance without negatively affecting the ride and handling. As with anything, you can go too far. Thicker swaybar in front will reduce body roll even further, making it seem to "corner on rails" at lower speeds. But you will pay a price in cornering ability at the limit, especially if there are any irregularities on the road surface.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Happy for two weeks on the outside hole, will bemoving it to the middle hole next.

Besides, how many M5 performance mods can you name for two hundred bucks?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Happy for two weeks on the outside hole, will bemoving it to the middle hole next.

Besides, how many M5 performance mods can you name for two hundred bucks?
For that matter, how many Dinan performance mods only cost $200?? ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you run the middle position and drive 10/10ths said:
Mine came with the bar already set on the inside of the 3 positions and it still is pretty tame at least compared to my 95 M3 (that car was neutral and made me a bit nervous playing with the brakes with the MXX3s in the wet).
The tail will come around some if you work at it with trailbraking/ dropthrottle but mostly> light understeer. In my experience (mostly one driving school :wroom: ) it has always been smooth, predictable and very controlable. In comparison I'm running stock wheels and tire sizes.
Abused what it left of my SP8080s this weekend :M5launch: :M5launch: and will be having the PS2s sitting on my garage floor intalled tomorrow AM. Hopefully that will tighten the steering responce a bit and bring on a bit more neutral natural inclination.

Haven't pushed a stock car hard enough to truly compare the impact of just the sway bar......

Perhaps I can work some overtime and afford to try those new JZ 12 position shocks......anyone with any experience with them out there yet?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Nolift911 said:
I have rad all of the threads and for those that say it is a worthy mod - there are those that "think" they feel a difference. I am installing the BP brackets and figured while I am on my back it might make sense - but no need to waste money on worthless mods.

-Jeff
nolift911
Hey Jeff,

I still have stock springs & Shocks, after missing out on ACS DFC.

When I first got the Beast, Coming from a 540 With Beast wheels & Tyres, I was disappointed with the handling of the beast.

First I put the Dinan Front and rear Strut braces on. There wasn't really any difference at low speed. At insane speed on large sweepers it did seem to be a small improvement.

Then I did the ACS Front and Rear SWAY bars and BP Brackets.

HELLO MUMMA. Now the beast cornered much flatter. They can keep my money, I'm very happy with the change.

Then to top it off and make Stock Springs and shocks the ultimate street setup, I added the K-Mac Adjustable camber plates.

Instant turn in. Incredible direct steering. This is how a Stock beast should handle.

Things to take into account also:

I have the Dinan Lightweight wheels, with 265's and 4 wheel Stoptech BBK. (Reduced Unsprung weight). :cheers:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK - so it sounds like the rear bar is a go. Interestingly enough DINAN released the front sway 28mm - seems a bit over kill to me on a stock sprung car for the front bar.

I will go with the rear and see how it works out.

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Don't forget that you don't have to move both sides to the same hole. You can have the left side in the middle and the right side in the rear or what ever you want to try. You now have double the adjustments and fine tuning.

Jordan

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jordantii said:
Don't forget that you don't have to move both sides to the same hole. You can have the left side in the middle and the right side in the rear or what ever you want to try. You now have double the adjustments and fine tuning.

Jordan
That sounds pretty odd - is anyone else doing that?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Nolift911 said:
That sounds pretty odd - is anyone else doing that?
Why is that odd?? It's just the physics of spring steel being levered. Many sway bars don't have holes. They have clamping blocks that slide on the bar to make the ajustments infinite. I have this type of bar on my race car was well as my M3.

Trust me it works and makes a difference just like .5 lbs adjustments in tire pressure can make a car handle differently.

Jordan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts