BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody fitted / used a dinan part which extends the overall height of the plenum chamber by "x" mm which apparently cools the intake temp ?

saw this somewhere and interested if anybody has this fitted this as a single component part install ..... ???

willo

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
welsh_willo said:
anybody fitted / used a dinan part which extends the overall height of the plenum chamber by "x" mm which apparently cools the intake temp ?

saw this somewhere and interested if anybody has this fitted this as a single component part install ..... ???

willo
Don't think I've seen the Dinan one or if it exists, but Keith73Turbo did a plenum spacer project, which raised the cover about 7-8mm, hence increased air volume in the plenum. Discovery Automotive sell a carbon plenum cover which increases the volume by 10-12% having raised areas.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Steve Dinan has it on his red M5, but has never offered to the public.
I believe you wouldn't be able to install the front strut brace due to the limited distance between the plenum cover and brace.

welsh_willo said:

willo

·
Registered
797 Posts
howler said:
I believe you wouldn't be able to install the front strut brace due to the limited distance between the plenum cover and brace.
I can confirm this. If you use Dinan's strut brace there is zero room for a plenum spacer.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
266 Posts
I did make a spacer it is 10mm(3/8" actually) , correct no strut brace can be used.
As for testing, I never got to test it to see if it works. It's not to cool the intake but to increase the plenum area, and I was thinking it would get the roof of the plenum further away from the small velocity stacks because I had heard that type of v/stack doesn't like to be shrouded, technically the stack needs a distance at least its diameter unshrouded(upwards ect...).
After removeing the small stacks and getting busy with the new family addition the spacer went on the shelf in the garage.
I will probably test it soon while putting on the larger t/bodys and runners I'm working on,
if it works I'll make a 'run' of them and get them anodized and sell.

·
Registered
651 Posts
How about a see thru cover to along with the spacer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts