BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this issue with the Dinan axle-back system? We cannot get the tips raised up high enough without having the pipes touch the axles. The driver's side isn't too bad, but it's clearly lower than it should be. The passenger side is even lower and slightly rotated. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing issue with the mufflers or something upstream is causing this.

When I bought the car it had Magnaflow mufflers and an x-pipe welded in. I had the x-pipe cut out and a used stock resonator section welded in. I did not have any issues with the Magnaflows hanging too low or too close to the axles. Once I got the Dinan mufflers, the Magnaflows were cut off and the Dinans were clamped on. So as of right now everything is stock except the mufflers.

Anyone have any tips or things to check for? The muffler hangers are brand new and the mid-section mounts are only a couple years old.

Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
221 Posts
Its possible your x-pipe was welded in on a slight angle that was fine for how the magnaflows were welded in but not not at the stock angle. It doesn't take much, especially as you get closer to the front for a noticeable difference at the rear.

I would try lowering the center exhaust mount, loosening Dinan muffler clamps, then jack up the Dinan mufflers with no hangers, tighten the clamps, tighten the center section, then see how the mufflers sit when on the hangers. You're just trying to work with whatever play those clamped sections will give you.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,474 Posts
The section of the exhaust that passes next to the differential is horizontal with the ground; and the Dinan exhaust was meant to fit at the middle of the horizontal section, so I'd check that your resonator/x-pipe section sits correctly, if it doesn't you need to adjust it at the cats and headers.

The correct position for the horizontal section is just slightly below the bottom of the differential fins:
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Fixture Gas Nut Machine

The correct position for the exhaust tips is for the center-line to be aligned with the bottom edge of the diffuser:
Wheel Car Tire Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light

If you suspect the Dinan mufflers are not manufactured with the correct tolerances, you can check their alignment by removing the resonator/x-pipe and free-mounting the mufflers to see how well the connecting pipes align with OE position of the horizontal section:
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. Thank you all for the suggestions. Will try some stuff and report back.

·
Registered
2000 M5 - Silverstone
66 Posts
Check the muffler hangers too, the inner ones tend to sag, especially if they had some years hanging the OEM mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts