BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
If it wasn't for the 12 month/12K mile warranty, I would seriously consider it. I have only good things to say about the S2 package I have. The lack of low end torque the motor has, is addressed by the headers and velocity stacks. At this point I can only imagine what 620 horses and 500 ft/lbs could be like in our beasts. In the article there is talk of an oil cooler that can be installed w/o the blower kit. I am working with my shop to see what that entails/costs.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I'm hoping Dinan will offer the oil cooler as an individual option soon.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
mikeoski said:
In the article there is talk of an oil cooler that can be installed w/o the blower kit. I am working with my shop to see what that entails/costs.
i've been trying to get info on that too. Jeff at dinan mountain view said (yesterday) that there is no plan at this time to offer a kit version of the oil cooler, so it'd be handled on a one by one "semi custom" basis. I've spoken with the author of the article (a fellow cca instructor) and his car went to dinan last week to get it installed, he wasn't sure of the cost. I'll check back with him.
Mike

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mike:
Maybe if enough interest is shown on this Board, Dinan might consider selling the oil cooler as a kit.
Please keep us abreast of any new news out of Dinan.
Regards,

mottati said:
i've been trying to get info on that too. Jeff at dinan mountain view said (yesterday) that there is no plan at this time to offer a kit version of the oil cooler, so it'd be handled on a one by one "semi custom" basis. I've spoken with the author of the article (a fellow cca instructor) and his car went to dinan last week to get it installed, he wasn't sure of the cost. I'll check back with him.
Mike

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I want to know how it gets any traction with so little weight on the back end.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
Jayson said:
I want to know how it gets any traction with so little weight on the back end.
Based on the article, i'd say it sounds like a retune of the suspension to increase weight transfer. that and r compound tires.
Mike

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
mottati said:
Mike
I just read the article last night (I'm a bit backed up on all my reading materials).

Steve did mention that an oil cooler was recommended for heavy duty (read: track) use due to the heat soak issues, and thought it would help quite a bit even on non-SC M5's.

There was also a blurb in the article about the whole Z8 subframe/header install issue. I'm paraphrasing here (and I don't have the article with me), but the way it reads, Dinan was very up-front about the problem (which Steve was not aware of, and probably never would have approved). They contacted every Z8 owner who had the mod done, and had various offers for every Z8 owner who had the headers installed. Dinan offered to find a similar replacement Z8, or purchase the cars at $10k over blue book value, or repair the car.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
mottati said:
Based on the article, i'd say it sounds like a retune of the suspension to increase weight transfer. that and r compound tires.
Mike

I saw the R compound tires and the JZR shocks they already offer, but thats realy not enough without being reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally carefull on the throttle. I'm sure it's a rocket no doubt but prob not much quicker than the s2 from a standstill.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
mikeoski said:
... The lack of low end torque the motor has...
You have very high standards. If the S62 lacks low-end torque, what do you consider to be "normal" torque? ??????

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
ELEVENS said:
You have very high standards. If the S62 lacks low-end torque, what do you consider to be "normal" torque? ??????
i was thinking that too! :M5rev:

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Viper V10?? hiha
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
463 Posts
Jayson said:
I saw the R compound tires and the JRZ shocks they already offer, but thats realy not enough without being reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally carefull on the throttle ...
I was thinking the same thing. The combination of Dinan springs/suspension, cold R compound tires and 600+ hp sounds like it would be a handful, except in a straight-line.

·
Registered
49,475 Posts
I think Dinan seemed to be very upfront in this interview. Even admitted that it costed them over $300 000 to fix the Z8 S2 debacle that was covered here on the board.

I think it was a good article on Dinan, Steve Dinan but I would have prefeered a more in depth of the car.

I like that Steve even havent programmed his radio channels in his 2000 M5 yet

Thamks for the link!

·
Registered
13,052 Posts
Gustav said:
I think it was a good article on Dinan, Steve Dinan but I would have prefeered a more in depth of the car.
Exactly my feelings. It seems to me we need an M5board admin to do a follow up test drive for Dinan the car as opposed to Dinan the man. Hm, I wonder who we could get?? :1: cherrsagai

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
gsfent said:
Exactly my feelings. It seems to me we need an M5board admin to do a follow up test drive for Dinan the car as opposed to Dinan the man. Hm, I wonder who we could get?? :1: cherrsagai
Hey, i'm not too far away, and would gladly volunteer... :M5rev:

:M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch: :M5launch:

I could also ask steve how to tame my wheel hop issue, and about the oil coolers!

Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
Does Dinan MAKE you buy all that stuff to get the the supercharger? Do you HAVE to buy their $8000 shocks to get his $23,000 supercharger?

Half of the parts cost looked like thing you could do for far less. Does Dinan only sell these type of things in their spec'd out kits? Seems like that's a good way to loose a ton of business.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts