BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, are the standard Koni M5 shocks, any different than the Konis supplied from Dinan?? Any advantages to one or the other?

My ideal would be to get Dinan springs and the regular off the shelf Konis, as this is a lot more cost effective combo, versus buying the turnkey Dinan package.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Re: Dinan Koni's vs Regular Konis??

I don't know, but why not just call Dinan and ask them if they're any different?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Need4Spd said:
I don't know, but why not just call Dinan and ask them if they're any different?
Dinan always seems overly biased when you call them on their products, so I am looking for someone who has experience with both.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

According to what I have read in magazine tests, Dinan re-valves the Koni's to Dinan specs whatever that means. No real specifics however. :M5launch:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

The Dinan shocks and struts are definitely different....color. The characteristics I've seen and sweet spot adjustment settings indicate that they are valved the same as standard Koni. If they went to the trouble of getting custom valving, they would have different koni X part# and they surely would have shortened them to allow a stiffer spring. The Dinan springs do not impress me.

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts

Lscman said:
The Dinan shocks and struts are definitely different....color. .
Come on Rick, they're yellow koni's on a dinan suspension too! (at least mine are).
:byebye:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

mottati said:
Come on Rick, they're yellow koni's on a dinan suspension too! (at least mine are).
:byebye:
At one time, Dinan site pics suggested they were repainted with a special Dinan-only shade of Krylon gray.

I have worked with Koni enough to know they never mass-produced a shock with non-stock valving that still had the std part# stamped on it. You can get their race shop to do one-off stealthy stuff for a fee, but the damper will always show visible evidence of rebuild. The reassembly methods are crude & not the same as those used on the assembly line. The Dinan Koni is not altered/tweaked after being manufactured & it retains the std part#, so valving is std.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Lscman said:
At one time, Dinan site pics suggested they were repainted with a special Dinan-only shade of Krylon gray.

I have worked with Koni enough to know they never mass-produced a shock with non-stock valving that still had the std part# stamped on it. You can get their race shop to do one-off stealthy stuff for a fee, but the damper will always show visible evidence of rebuild. The reassembly methods are crude & not the same as those used on the assembly line. The Dinan Koni is not altered/tweaked after being manufactured & it retains the std part#, so valving is std.
Dinan claims they re-valve them on their end. I cant believe they open up brand new shocks, and tweak them, seems like it would be 10x easier to have Koni do it at production. Is Dinan feeding me BS, to make me buy their shocks in the pretty Dinan box, instead of buying off the shelf Koni's??

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts

dinan does have a shock dyno, fwiw... maybe they consider the adjustment knob part of the valving, and just set them where they like...
mike

·
Registered
268 Posts

there is no dinan box that i remember. i saw my stuff on the shop floor before being installed and the shocks were in koni boxes. either they come from koni already spec'd for dinan or dinan messes with them after he gets them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

alpineblue said:
there is no dinan box that i remember. i saw my stuff on the shop floor before being installed and the shocks were in koni boxes. either they come from koni already spec'd for dinan or dinan messes with them after he gets them.
I bought the regular Konis, and ordered Dinan springs & camber plates seperately. Seems to be a lot more cost effective route. Will keep everyone informed on how they perform, as I previously had an '02 M5, with the Dinan stage 3 kit.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

Todd said:
Dinan claims they re-valve them on their end. I cant believe they open up brand new shocks, and tweak them, seems like it would be 10x easier to have Koni do it at production. Is Dinan feeding me BS, to make me buy their shocks in the pretty Dinan box, instead of buying off the shelf Koni's??
Dinan is feeding BS.

The Dinan-sold E39 dampers are definitely not cut open and rewelded as they show factory Koni perimeter welds intact. Any Koni that has been revalved or rebuilt by the factory can be easily identified. I have 6 of them in my garage. This is not the case with the Dinan E39 product. I will repeat that specially-valved Konis (that do not show evidence of rework) have been manufactured & sold in the past, but they carry a different part# stamping. This is done for safety and liability...and every mfr does it including cheap stuff like Monroe. You should not mix dampers with different rates on the same axle. Any suggestion that Dinan revalves new Koni gas shocks is 100% erroneous. This false propaganda being spread by Dinan Tech's is disturbing...reminds me of Redline.

·
Registered
340 Posts

Todd said:
Does anyone know, are the standard Koni M5 shocks, any different than the Konis supplied from Dinan?? Any advantages to one or the other?

My ideal would be to get Dinan springs and the regular off the shelf Konis, as this is a lot more cost effective combo, versus buying the turnkey Dinan package.
Once you sort this out do let us know how you like the ride. I have been looking at just the Konis on stock springs. I do not want to lower my car (curb clearances etc) and have back issues so I wonder how much stiffer the ride changes at normal Koni (street settings) vs stock dampers. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts

Funny how we all have different ideas of "ideal." Mine would be stock springs, Koni dampers and GC camber plates (so long as ride height remains stock). The streets around here are just way too rough for aftermarket springs and a lowered ride height.

·
Registered
95 Posts

I did the same thing, by buying my Koni's for the best price I could find and then going to Dinan for the rear swaybar, springs, and camber plates. Although Dinan rep expressed his concern that the Koni's "stock" valving might not be right, I told him to just sell me the parts I wanted and I would take the "risk". So, I was interested to read this thread. Attached below is the picture of the parts, less the rear swaybar which I had already put on. Haven't had any trouble with the ride height I ended up with, which can take some jounce travel. That was important to me as well as the handling benefit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

bgregg said:
I did the same thing, by buying my Koni's for the best price I could find and then going to Dinan for the rear swaybar, springs, and camber plates. Although Dinan rep expressed his concern that the Koni's "stock" valving might not be right, I told him to just sell me the parts I wanted and I would take the "risk". So, I was interested to read this thread. Attached below is the picture of the parts, less the rear swaybar which I had already put on. Haven't had any trouble with the ride height I ended up with, which can take some jounce travel. That was important to me as well as the handling benefit.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=946

Do you have any pics with the setup installed on the car??

·
Registered
95 Posts

Todd, If you are interested in ride height, here is the tale of the tape with my lovely assistant. Otherwise I have some pics on the gallery section (View My Car link) that show the car with the suspension loaded up on the track. Yes, there is some body roll with the Dinan Stage 3!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts

I've gone through some similar decision making, and after purchasing the Konis earlier this year - I contacted the Dinan dealer I used to purchase a rear sway bar from to inquire about using the Konis I had with Dinan springs (that I would buy from him). He called me back after discussing with "Dinan" and indicated they were compatible.

I haven't gone to the Dinan springs yet...I find my current Koni setup with H&R 29441 in the front and 'customized' OE springs in the rear with the Dinan Sway to be quite an improvement from stock (in my limited experience).

I have the Konis set to 1 1/8 turns from full soft in the front, and 3/4 turn from full soft in the rear. Rear Sway on middle setting.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

How about a Sonic Cheese Coney?

Oh.......wrong Koni

1 - 20 of 65 Posts