BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dinan Enthusiast:

What is the mileage "life expendency" of these shocks/struts? 20K miles? 30k miles? more or less?

And can Koni rebuild or revalve like Bilstein?

·
Registered
89 Posts
The cost to revalve Koni yellows on my race car was $110 for the rears and $100 for the fronts. I got the revalve just so it can handle a higher spring rate and not because of defect.

As for "life expendency," Koni offers a limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, so you might want to look into that first since the number of miles depends on how it is used and the terrain.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
canysmc said:
Dinan Enthusiast:

What is the mileage "life expendency" of these shocks/struts? 20K miles? 30k miles? more or less?

And can Koni rebuild or revalve like Bilstein?
The Koni's sometimes only last 70K to 100K mi before the seals begin degrading or leak. Most see 125K or more. If the Koni is old stock, it will fail more quickly because the seals slowly harden from age. STAY AWAY from ebay Koni's unless they are willing to tell you the date code stamped on the housings.

They are guaranteed for life of original owner...unlimited free replacements. If the strut is a discontinued item, they will rebuild it in their race shop forever for free. I own a former track car with 283K mi and I had the Konis rebuilt twice for free.

The M5 Koni struts have very aggressive damping rates that should be adequate for any spring, incl 550/450 track Eibachs found on the track GC kit. The rebuild prices generally apply if damping rate change is requested.

I once talked them into increased damping rate for free, during a warranty failure rebuild. I told them I thought bottoming from low damping rates led to failure. This was a Ford car.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
How do we know when a Koni strut needs rebuild? Do anyone know if you need to send it directly to Koni or to the reseller (e.g. Ground Control) to have it serviced or revalved?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have these struts and shocks call Dinan or Call Koni.....my guess 50-70k miles normal driving

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
How do we know when a Koni strut needs rebuild? Do anyone know if you need to send it directly to Koni or to the reseller (e.g. Ground Control) to have it serviced or revalved?

leaking is the first indicator.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Leaks are the first clue.

Not controlling the spring(too much bounce)is another.

The fluid inside wears out like any other oil.

Until you get to high end units they aren't rebuildable.

It will be obvious if they come apart for a rebuild.

:M5launch:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts