BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am considering making minor suspension changes to my e60 to improve handling and was considering either the:

1) Dinan Front Roll Control kit and Rear Sway Bar

or

2) H&R Lowering Springs

My primary complaint of the stock suspension is excessive oversteer and slow turn-in response.

Which do you guys think will be more effective? I am guessing the FRC and larger rear sway bar will do a better job of reducing understeer. However, I do like the look of a lowered car via the springs. Do the springs help in the reduction of understeer much or is the baance very similar to stock with just more roll resistance?

Does anyone make front camber plates for the e60? Also, are there any real handling gains by using the H&R spacers or are they strictly for aesthetics?

Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hmm... It sounds like a Dinan Stage 2 suspension is what will fit your request. That includes the performance springs, Front Sway Bar links, and an "Adjustable" Rear sway bar. We run a performance alignment with the rear sway bar full stiff on the track, excellent ballance with almost no understeer!

The camber plates will be available from Simon at Evosport shortly, and the H&R spacers are not needed.

The last thing I recomend is go to a performance driving school, even the BMW M driving school in Spartanburg, SC is excellent and you will gain a whole new appreciation for your beasts incredible performance and capabilities.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Do both.... from what I have read, the front control system and the rear sway really help out. Not to mention lowering the car to keep center of gravity lower. I plan on both.... springs first- that gap is huge in the front!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Hi Sandy, I didn't know you picked up an E60. Congrats. The springs are a must, but they don't help with understeer characteristics much. I would do the whole setup mentioned above to get best results. Hope everything is well!

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
you said minor work.....do the sway bar..

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the Dinan Stage 2 suspension installed (FRC, rear anti roll bar and Dinan springs) about 5 months ago. The results on the track are quite noticeable. Turn in is sharper, body roll is significantly reduced and understeer is reduced. Ride quality is affected only minimally.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Sandy, you're always free to give me a call and take a quick drive in my car. I have the Dinan FRC/rear sway combo with stock springs. Of course, you'll be riding on wider tires too with the RAC Monolites which push the wheels out to near max track width, but at least you'll have a feeling for what the sway kits can do. It was the perfect change for me...exactly the handling difference I was hoping for. Springs are nice for the bonus of improved aesthetics, but otherwise the FRC/sway bar combo is the best bang for the buck by far. My friend over at Norm Baker can take care of the install for cheap too.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
FRC+Spring+Rear anti-roll bar = Dinan Suspension Stage II. I would said do both.

When I first got H&R spring, cornering not much noticeable improve until I installed FRC and anti-roll bar. Big improvement on cornering. I usually have understeer on my specific corner that i used for judgement, but after FRC and anti-roll bar, I approach the same corner with same speed and approach and I can feel day/night different. Again, that just my experience and feel.

If you already commit to do a spring, the FRC/anti-roll bar just around the corner, I would said do both.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
FRC and swap bar will be the better option for the handling improvement you are looking for. They are inexpensive and don't noticable affect ride quality. Of course, if you want the aesthetics benefit, do the springs instead or in addition. I passed on the springs because, for me, ride comfort was a more important part of the equation.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
good thread I was wondering about this myself and called on of the local dinan people friday...yet to hear back of course...but great info in this thread.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
anyone here do H&R and Dinan's FRC and Rear anti-roll bar? I plan to do this this month....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
anyone here do H&R and Dinan's FRC and Rear anti-roll bar? I plan to do this this month....
I know there are at least a couple people on here that have done it and liked it a lot. The FRC/sway bar changes are good no matter what your spring setup. With the stiffer, lower springs, Dinan recommends the middle-hole in the rear sway bar, which is the only difference (recommended anyway).

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'd echo what most have already said about Dinan stage 2 (which I have). But I'd add an additional benefit of a lower spring is the ability to get slightly more negative camber because of the angle. There is also a little alignment pin you can remove with a hex bit to adjust the camber slightly on the car.

Aside from that, let me know if you find a camber plate. A member here installed a K-Mac outside the U.S. - Turner Motorsports, who sells K-Mac, won't sell that specific plate because it hasn't been tested by them. Ground Control has supposedly had one done for months. But neither myself or another board member could get them to sell it. And finally, someone here put regular E60 or E63 camber plates from Dinan on their M6/M5. I forget which. You can find them on Dinan's website, but not under the "M" section.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Sandy, I didn't know you picked up an E60. Congrats. The springs are a must, but they don't help with understeer characteristics much. I would do the whole setup mentioned above to get best results. Hope everything is well!
Hey T.C.

I'm glad to be back into an M5. I'm looking forward to doing a few mods here and there. I will most likely do the whole setup, but want to do things step by step. How many hours labor is required to change out the springs? Take care.

Sandy, you're always free to give me a call and take a quick drive in my car. I have the Dinan FRC/rear sway combo with stock springs. Of course, you'll be riding on wider tires too with the RAC Monolites which push the wheels out to near max track width, but at least you'll have a feeling for what the sway kits can do. It was the perfect change for me...exactly the handling difference I was hoping for. Springs are nice for the bonus of improved aesthetics, but otherwise the FRC/sway bar combo is the best bang for the buck by far. My friend over at Norm Baker can take care of the install for cheap too.
James, thanks for the offer. I will most likely take you up on the offer soon. We should get together with your buddy at Norm Baker to talk about future mods. :) Also, we need to have a local M5 meet soon. I plan to post a thread for a local mini meet prior to big one in March.

FRC and swap bar will be the better option for the handling improvement you are looking for. They are inexpensive and don't noticable affect ride quality. Of course, if you want the aesthetics benefit, do the springs instead or in addition. I passed on the springs because, for me, ride comfort was a more important part of the equation.
I agree. I am waiting to drive an M5 with lowering springs to see how much the ride quality has deteriorated, especially in the stiffest setting. Do you know if the spring rates are comparable between the H&R and RD Sport kits?

Thanks guys for all the feedback!! :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts