BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I went ahead and ordered the kit based on the rave reviews here on the forum. Thanks!

The kit has been sitting in my garage and I can't wait to install it. I was considering taking on the challenge myself, but thought I would ask the guys here first. I am an average home garage mechanic, with a decent set of tools, but do not have access to a lift. I do have a floor jack though.

Is this an easy install or am I better off having a shop with a lift install it? Has anyone installed the kit themselves? If so, how long does it take?

Thanks again guys
Tony

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I think you might need a lift...I would take it to dealer... 1 1/2 hour to in stall both... just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You might be able to do the front, but for the rear you will need a lift as to wiggle out the rear bar.

·
Registered
442 Posts
On some BMWs, when you install suspension parts, there is a need to preload the suspension - i.e., install with weight on the wheels. Don't know about the e60 M5

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The kit has been sitting in my garage and I can't wait to install it. I was considering taking on the challenge myself, but thought I would ask the guys here first. I am an average home garage mechanic, with a decent set of tools, but do not have access to a lift. I do have a floor jack though.

Is this an easy install or am I better off having a shop with a lift install it? Has anyone installed the kit themselves? If so, how long does it take?
I have not done this install, but while changing the engine and differential oil I was happy to see how easy the sway bars are to access :M5thumbs:
The most difficult part of the job will be jacking up, and supporting the car. The cover below the front of the engine must be removed, but on the M6 this cover comes off just to access the oil filter ouich

The shaft of the ball joints use either an allen or torx to keep them from rotating while removing the nuts -- make sure you have the right tool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey guys,
Easy job. You don't need a lift and the rear sway bar is a cinch to remove.

The only thing you need to be sure of is that the suspension on whichever end of the car you're working on is level--that is, with left and right wheels at full droop or otherwise at the same level (e.g., on ramps). You don't want any torsion in the sway bar.

You'll need a T-30 torx bit for your ratchet driver, a power drill with decent torque (don't expect your battery-powered drill to hold up) and 16/17/18mm box wrenches.

It's easy to do on Rhino Ramps.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Easy job. You don't need a lift and the rear sway bar is a cinch to remove.

The only thing you need to be sure of is that the suspension on whichever end of the car you're working on is level--that is, with left and right wheels at full droop or otherwise at the same level (e.g., on ramps). You don't want any torsion in the sway bar.

You'll need a T-30 torx bit for your ratchet driver, a power drill with decent torque (don't expect your battery-powered drill to hold up) and 16/17/18mm box wrenches.

It's easy to do on Rhino Ramps.
Thanks for the info. I will recruit a friend and take on the challenge tomorrow night.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts