BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just had my lowering springs installed on my car and love the look. The ride is a little firmer, but the front end still pushes a lot when I throw it into a corner.

I am about to pull the trigger on the Dinan Front Roll Control kit and Rear Sway Bar, since I have read lots of praise from fellow members pleased with the handling performance increase.

However, the one thing that keeps me from committing is the numerous comments about the FRC bolts coming loose and making irritating squeaking sounds. Has this design flaw been resolved by Dinan or was it strictly an installation error? Are there any issues with the rear sway bar?

Finally, does this reduce understeer substantially on our cars?

Thanks for the help guys!
Tony

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Great cost benefit from these mods. Go for it!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What springs did you get?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I got it... love it. Cheap and effective mod.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have got the Dinan stage II it works great, no under steer issue and no noise issue and I have tracked the car a number of times since the install.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I have it too and loved it. I was one of the guys that encountered the clunking noise after a few weeks after the install but got it retightened and the issue has not come back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Improved handling and reduced understeer, would certainly do it again. Just have them really torque down the bolts.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In my experience, the understeer is relatively minimal in stock form. The only time the car really unders is when I push it pretty hard @ the track. In normal aggressive street driving, you should only get under if you are entering the corner a bit too fast or "hot." Even when I drive really aggressively on open streets, I'm only going about 7/10ths. So unless you drive harder than that on surface streets, the under you are experiencing is most likely due to entry speed when going into the turn, and when, in the turn, you are giving it more gas, throttle/position.

I agree at 8/10ths to 10/10ths, the car does under a bit too much for my preference.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would buy it again every time. As for the clunking, I'm not sure if anyone has figured out another possibility that tightening the bolts. I got under my car and my bolts are SUPER tight...possibly too tight before I even got my hands on them, and the clunking it still there sometimes. Apart from that, this only happens when going over speedbumps or up driveways at anything more than very slow speeds.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Hey James, I was about to suggest that you may be hearing the spring clap but it doesn't look like you have aftermarket springs. Some springs don't come with rubber inserts/wrapping at the end which eliminates the clunking noise when you go over bumps. Wonder if stock springs do that also? Hmm

Another thing that's possible is the probably the end links moving and hitting something underneath.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey James, I was about to suggest that you may be hearing the spring clap but it doesn't look like you have aftermarket springs. Some springs don't come with rubber inserts/wrapping at the end which eliminates the clunking noise when you go over bumps. Wonder if stock springs do that also? Hmm

Another thing that's possible is the probably the end links moving and hitting something underneath.
I sometime notice a clunk in the rear with stock sprink and no Dinan. I'll be making sure I get the rubber insert/wrapping with aftermarket spring when I get them. ECF, I need to go for a ride in your car to gage the ride of the RD springs.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I sometime notice a clunk in the rear with stock sprink and no Dinan. I'll be making sure I get the rubber insert/wrapping with aftermarket spring when I get them. ECF, I need to go for a ride in your car to gage the ride of the RD springs.
Anytime John. :M5launch:

Hey, any plans around 5PM-ish tomorrow? My wife and I will be heading over to Rosie McCann's at Santana Row for St. Patty's Day. Maybe you and Teri can join us. :cheers:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anytime John. :M5launch:

Hey, any plans around 5PM-ish tomorrow? My wife and I will be heading over to Rosie McCann's at Santana Row for St. Patty's Day. Maybe you and Teri can join us. :cheers:
That could work, I have a 2:30 meeting at the Niner's facility in S.C. I could just try to cut out after that. I'll need to get some work done tonight. I'll text ya or something to confirm in the AM.

Heck I am part Irish and all cherrsagai

:cheers:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Reactions: tightie

·
Registered
992 Posts
here I am reviving another old thread!

sweet, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this and just wait on the springs...

do you need an alignment after this is done?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
here I am reviving another old thread!

sweet, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this and just wait on the springs...

do you need an alignment after this is done?
After the FRC & rear sway bar, no. After the springs, yes.

Reactions: nlpamg
1 - 19 of 19 Posts