BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dinan's stage 2 flywheel claims a 26.9 lb reduction in weight vs the stock flywheel. uuc claims 13.5 lb reduction weight for the entire clutch assembly. does anyone know what the net weight of the dinan assembly would be? i am presuming you stay with the factory clutch and pressure plate with dinan's flywheel. what is the weight of the factory clutch and pressure plate relative to uuc's? i am trying to determine the net weight savings of dinan's set up. i will contact them too--but thought i would start here.

i don't work my car hard off the line--so having a larger clutch set up ala uuc may not be that important (but i could be wrong?) but from a 5 mph roll i can see where dinan's light flywheel would make a significant difference. i know this clutch issue has been discussed many times--but i don't recall reading about the net weight of each set up.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
alpineblue said:
dinan's stage 2 flywheel claims a 26.9 lb reduction in weight vs the stock flywheel. uuc claims 13.5 lb reduction weight for the entire clutch assembly. does anyone know what the net weight of the dinan assembly would be? i am presuming you stay with the factory clutch and pressure plate with dinan's flywheel. what is the weight of the factory clutch and pressure plate relative to uuc's? i am trying to determine the net weight savings of dinan's set up. i will contact them too--but thought i would start here.

i don't work my car hard off the line--so having a larger clutch set up ala uuc may not be that important (but i could be wrong?) but from a 5 mph roll i can see where dinan's light flywheel would make a significant difference. i know this clutch issue has been discussed many times--but i don't recall reading about the net weight of each set up.
Clutches with marginal torque rating also tend to slip on hard throttle upshift (shift overlap), so it's not just launches. When extra slip occurs, power is turned into heat instead of "thrust".

Dinan stage 2 is 27lb lighter than stock (assuming typical 9-5/8" clutch). UUC 11" unit is 13 lb lighter than stock. Isn't the difference = 14 lbs?

I would not be looking for the lightest flywheel & clutch combo for a 2 ton luxury car. A featherweight setup with aggressive race disk compound, elevated clamping forces and low inertia will result in poor driveability and high rollover. Engine RPM will drop like a rock when you're trying to launch gently on the street. IMO, the Dinan stage 2 flywheel and small clutch belongs in a 2700lb dedicated M3 track car.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i had a Dinan clutch in my car and the difference resulting from the lighter weight is barely noticeable and of course it doesn't do anything about the weak M5 clutch

if Dinan finishes testing the miracle friction material on his supercharged car and starts selling it, that might be an option in the future

i've got a UUC now

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Lscman said:
I would not be looking for the lightest flywheel & clutch combo for a 2 ton luxury car. A featherweight setup with aggressive race disk compound, elevated clamping forces and low inertia will result in poor driveability and high rollover. Engine RPM will drop like a rock when you're trying to launch gently on the street. IMO, the Dinan stage 2 flywheel and small clutch belongs in a 2700lb dedicated M3 track car.
Will be installing the spec stage 3 clutch next month... along with my existing dinan stage 2 clutch, I will probably be able to prove or disprove this statement... :p

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
ive got the uuc flywheel and larger clutch set up and i did see a diffrence the car def revs up quicker and im sure i am makeing more power to the wheels cause i have a larger clamping surface. i realized a diffrece and my friend with another o1 with the same mods except he went with a dinan exhaust and the dinan flywheel. we have raced several times and i have beat him every time. now i cant wait for my aa cai kit to come in and ill def sould pull even harder on him.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I have the Dinan flywheel and it does make a material difference in the way the car revs. Much faster. Also, it's not "26.9" pounds lighter. It's only 7 lbs. lighter (and also still the dual mass design), which is why it is also smooth as stock and noise-free. Dinan states that it's 7 lbs. lighter, for an 18% reduction in weight. Doing the reverse math puts the stock flywheel at 38.9 lbs., so the Dinan unit would be 31.9 lbs. total.

Dinan Lightened Dual Mass Flywheel

·
10,456 Posts
wow, old thread!
Dinan used to offer a stage 2 single mass aluminum flywheel. They discontinued it because it did not fit in with the character of the car, or what the typical dinan buyer expects of their products (reduced drivability and gearbox noise), and also likely because of poor sales.
Mike

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
well with the mtl3 oil i get verry little to no lash noise

Reactions: gixxeridaz
1 - 8 of 8 Posts