BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my Dinan S2. Not crazy about the Dinan exhaust tone, too quiet.
Would the addition of the SS X pipe bring the sound level up some?

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the S2 stuff was just installed you may want to give it a few months to break in. My neighboors would not call mine quite, and the wife can hear me coming home 3 blocks away even when I am loafing. No sneaking in unnoticed late at night.
Then again perfection in an exhaust is so subjective............

Paul

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Dinan exhaust too. I thought it was too quiet at first but now I appreciate it as being a pretty nicely thought out compromise between obnoxiously loud and stock quiet.

Anyway, from what I read on this board, adding an X pipe to the Dinan exaust makes it TOO LOUD. I have read a couple accounts of people having the X pipe removed because of this. I am not sure there is anyone who has a Dinan exhaust and an X pipe and likes it.

I would be happy to be proven wrong ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have same setup as I do. I was wondering why they dont included the SSK in the S2 package? As to the exhaust, I bought it used so the S2 mods have been on it for about a year. Still think the exhause is too quiet...but dont want a Kelleners type drone. Thinking of doing the SS X pipe. I like the whole Dinan pkg except for the exhaust- perhaps I will sell Dinan and install the SS cat-back package.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
sb540 said:
Anyway, from what I read on this board, adding an X pipe to the Dinan exaust makes it TOO LOUD. I have read a couple accounts of people having the X pipe removed because of this. I am not sure there is anyone who has a Dinan exhaust and an X pipe and likes it.

I would be happy to be proven wrong ...

I was at a stoplight yesterday next to a guy who is a tech at my bmw dealership, he has the dinan exhaust, felt it was too quiet, and added the x pipe and loves it. It is LOUD, i wouldn't want to live with it day to day, but it did sound good as he accelerated onto the freeway, i could still hear him over a quarter a mile away, and it was still loud, but exhaust notes are subjective.
Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info- thats too loud for me, maybe I will just drill some holes in the mufflers.....ouich

I have an NSX with the B&B exhaust, even though its a V6, it is WAY loud, really too loud for a long trip, IMO, but I'm an old fart at 48.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Chart505 said:
Good info- thats too loud for me, maybe I will just drill some holes in the mufflers.....ouich

I have an NSX with the B&B exhaust, even though its a V6, it is WAY loud, really too loud for a long trip, IMO, but I'm an old fart at 48.
At least on my car the Dinan is about one step back from the Kelleners without x-pipe. Definitley quieter on the freeway though than the Kelleners car I drove. The Kellener's with x-pipe was not for the meak.........

The Tubi Rumore had a higher more exotic sound (vs big block sound ala dinan/kelleners) and might fit your ticket. The stock Tubi was pretty quiet unless you got on it. Stock Supersprint seemed pretty comparable, although a bit different tone than the Dinan.

Best bet since this is so subjective is to find some friendly owners with the exhausts you are interested in and beg some test rides to find what you really like. Should be able to find a few in the ATL area.

The Dinan SSK is a recent addition (probably long since you car had S2 installed) and is not part of the package. I am not sure there have even been any reviews of the dinan SSK in this board.

If you end up in SAN you are welcome to a test ride. Have a hard time believing you would find the S2 too quiet if the B&B is too loud. Think this is about as loud as you can get without droning. Maybe my car is just louder than most S2s.
:M5launch:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SDImolaS2 said:
At least on my car the Dinan is about one step back from the Kelleners without x-pipe. Definitley quieter on the freeway though than the Kelleners car I drove. The Kellener's with x-pipe was not for the meak.........

The Tubi Rumore had a higher more exotic sound (vs big block sound ala dinan/kelleners) and might fit your ticket. The stock Tubi was pretty quiet unless you got on it. Stock Supersprint seemed pretty comparable, although a bit different tone than the Dinan.

Best bet since this is so subjective is to find some friendly owners with the exhausts you are interested in and beg some test rides to find what you really like. Should be able to find a few in the ATL area.

The Dinan SSK is a recent addition (probably long since you car had S2 installed) and is not part of the package. I am not sure there have even been any reviews of the dinan SSK in this board.

If you end up in SAN you are welcome to a test ride. Have a hard time believing you would find the S2 too quiet if the B&B is too loud. Think this is about as loud as you can get without droning. Maybe my car is just louder than most S2s.
:M5launch:
Thanks for the invite- I used to attend SDSU and lived in a shack off of Montezuma- probably worth $2M nowhiha

The NSX B&B has a bit of a "drone" at some speeds, not real loud at idle.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My dinan exhaust alone sets off other peoples car alarms, from the outside im sure its pretty loud

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
SDImolaS2 said:
If the S2 stuff was just installed you may want to give it a few months to break in. My neighboors would not call mine quite, and the wife can hear me coming home 3 blocks away even when I am loafing. No sneaking in unnoticed late at night.
Then again perfection in an exhaust is so subjective............

Paul
I guess "quiet" is subjective. I saw Paul's car when it was first being tuned with the S2 package. (at that time the car was owned by someone else)

We heard it from about a 1/4 block away as the tech was taking off. It was very loud from the outside and very unique sounding.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Do you have headers?

I've got the Dinan headers and exhaust and I think the combo is perfect. It resonates significantly indoors and/or at low rpm, quites down between 2000 and 3500rpm and then starts roaring. It has a nice bark on throttle blips too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Its designed to be quiet- with the windows up. If you want to hear loud just open all the windows, go through an underpass and floor it, it will sound loud and sophisticated, i think..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.