BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have not seen them, over on the m3forum.net website under the M5 forum section there are two threads concerning the Dinan M5 S3. The son of a man who has had his E39 M5 S2 upgraded to a S3 has authored the two threads. One thread has a number of pictures of under the hood. The other thread has pictures of the car itself, with some info about the car. This might be the first of the customer S3's after the formal Dinan announcement of the S3 kit.

·
10,457 Posts
there's a review of the car in the august roundel (steve dinans IR car). It also looks like dinan includes an oil cooler, which can be used on any M5 to reduce track oil temps. The author of that article is a fellow bmw cca pacific region driving school instructor. He's getting the oil cooler installed next week... Might be up next on my list as well.
Mike

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
mottati said:
The author of that article is a fellow bmw cca pacific region driving school instructor. He's getting the oil cooler installed next week... Might be up next on my list as well.
Mike
Hmm, smelling an infamous GB?? :M5thumbs:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
gsfent said:
Hmm, smelling an infamous GB?? :M5thumbs:
Regards,
Jerry

A group buy on 70k in parts and labor... mmmmmm

·
10,457 Posts
Jayson said:
A group buy on 70k in parts and labor... mmmmmm
I think Jerry was referring to the oil cooler kit! :cheers:

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
mottati said:
I think Jerry was referring to the oil cooler kit! :cheers:
Yes, oil cooler!!! GB at Dinan on 70k would like be forming a separate country! ;) and I am sure my wife would remind me the only one who would get to be in that car would be my funeral director!! :7: I don't think it should cost anywhere near that to supercharge this car, even allowing for complexities and high CR. I think cost of kit for the 540 is a good indication of the COST involved; price is a separate issue. For those who are willing to spend the money, more power to them!:cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,457 Posts
yeah, but most of the guys who step up for this already have the S2, so they've already paid some of it. We''ll see what the costs are when the other companies start with a sc for our cars. i don't think you'd spend much less for the "street version" of discovery's S/C. Lots of labor and fabrication and a small market yield high prices. More power to those spending the money (figureatively and literally!) and to those doing the development of our beloved cars!
Mike

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I can see the high price making sence, it's a limited market even with competion, now I'm not saying 70k is right, but 15k just for supercharger parts I could buy into, then add some headers and the rest of the exhaust and call that a "complete setup".

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seems to me that comparing a Dinan or DA S/C car to a bolt-on S/C system is like comparing a Formula One car to a Champ car- they're both really fast, but the F1 car is tremedously more expensive, technologically advanced and has a correspondingly elevated cool factor. I guess it's whatever blows your skirt up!!

·
10,457 Posts
PCUT said:
Seems to me that comparing a Dinan or DA S/C car to a bolt-on S/C system is like comparing a Formula One car to a Champ car- they're both really fast, but the F1 car is tremedously more expensive, technologically advanced and has a correspondingly elevated cool factor. I guess it's whatever blows your skirt up!!
That was sort of my point. That and we have yet to see any real "bolt on" s/c kit for the e39 m5. I think it's just a bit complex to throw on an sc.
Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jayson,
When I said "first one" I guess what I meant to say is the first customer car that we have heard about (the Dinan test car and the test mule before that do not count as a production customer car to me). It may not be the first one off the line, but if there is one or more ahead of this one I haven't heard about it (them) on the forums.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
phinnbillM5 said:
Jayson,
When I said "first one" I guess what I meant to say is the first customer car that we have heard about (the Dinan test car and the test mule before that do not count as a production customer car to me). It may not be the first one off the line, but if there is one or more ahead of this one I haven't heard about it (them) on the forums.

sorry it wasn't acually our coment I was refering to, it was the kid talking about his daddys M5 saying he's the first one to have it done, I was talking about, and he's got the plaque in front of him on camera.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jayson said:
sorry it wasn't acually our coment I was refering to, it was the kid talking about his daddys M5 saying he's the first one to have it done, I was talking about, and he's got the plaque in front of him on camera.
I think he said 'customer'. Others may have been mules, gifts, etc. It's always possible he believes it to be true and doesn't know any better. But really, who cares.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
mottati said:
there's a review of the car in the august roundel (steve dinans IR car). It also looks like dinan includes an oil cooler, which can be used on any M5 to reduce track oil temps. The author of that article is a fellow bmw cca pacific region driving school instructor. He's getting the oil cooler installed next week... Might be up next on my list as well.
Mike
Mike:

Are you sure that Dinan is making the Oil Cooler Kit available to the common folk with the purchase of the Supercharger Kit? I know that Dinan Will NOT sell or install the Rear Sub-Frame Enforcement Kit or their Upgraded Clutch Kit without the Supercharger Kit. At least that is what I was told by TWO different Dinan Dealers when I tried to order Both of the above-mentioned kits. :M5launch:

·
10,457 Posts
gra8fuldd ed said:
Mike:

Are you sure that Dinan is making the Oil Cooler Kit available to the common folk with the purchase of the Supercharger Kit? I know that Dinan Will NOT sell or install the Rear Sub-Frame Enforcement Kit or their Upgraded Clutch Kit without the Supercharger Kit. At least that is what I was told by TWO different Dinan Dealers when I tried to order Both of the above-mentioned kits. :M5launch:

Ed,
Chris Wright, the author of the roundel article, has his car at dinan morgan hill right now, getting the oil cooler. Unfortunately, dinan dealers will often not stray from the catolog, dinan the man will of course! I called the mountain view dinan, and spoke with jeff, who i usually deal with there and asked. He was unaware of the oil cooler as a stand alone item, but "obviously it's something that can be done" and he'd look into it for me. I'm going down there on monday for them to look over my suspension, making a clunking noise and not feeling right. He's supposed to have the info for me then. When in doubt, call morgan hill and ask steve dinan himself!
Mike

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
mottati said:
Ed,
Chris Wright, the author of the roundel article, has his car at dinan morgan hill right now, getting the oil cooler. Unfortunately, dinan dealers will often not stray from the catolog, dinan the man will of course! I called the mountain view dinan, and spoke with jeff, who i usually deal with there and asked. He was unaware of the oil cooler as a stand alone item, but "obviously it's something that can be done" and he'd look into it for me. I'm going down there on monday for them to look over my suspension, making a clunking noise and not feeling right. He's supposed to have the info for me then. When in doubt, call morgan hill and ask steve dinan himself!
Mike
Mike :

Thank you ... Maybe after your visit ... I'm sure you'll post with all the details that Chris gives you about the Cooler Kit.

BTW ... Which suspension do you have ... Koni or JRZ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow! i've been waiting for my registration to go through so I could post in this thread for what feels like forever.. Thanks again gustav.

The car in this tread is #4, Steve Dinan has #1, #2 is a race car and #3 is a car that has been sitting at Dinan for almost 3 years because it was ordered from the factory for S3. So one could say it's the first customer car that wasn't ordered from BMW specifically.

It is however an amazing car. The owner of this vehical also has a GT2, 94' Slantnose Turbo, Speedster and a 348. He honestly believes it is faster then his all stock GT2. He also has a few tales of the drive home and all he can say is Dinan's performance numbers are acurate. He's also stressed how impresive the stopping power of the Dinan badged Brembo brakes. Thay also change the suspension set up for this application. I believe the total price is something in the 30k's if your already S2.

If you guy's have any questions about the car i'd be more then happy to find the answers through First Hand experience.:biggrin:

Cameron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts