BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions for Guys (maybe Gals too...) with a Dinan Cold Air Intake:

How do you access the filters?
How often do the filters need cleaning/replacement?

Armando
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
am5 said:
Questions for Guys (maybe Gals too...) with a Dinan Cold Air Intake:

How do you access the filters?
How often do the filters need cleaning/replacement?

Armando
You have to remove the lower corner under belly pans......and then they are right there...... as for servicing them........ 5000 miles would be my maximum however because of there location in dusty and dirty areas even more often.

Take care

Shadowman
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
5,150 Posts
The Dinan filters come with a Nylon sock, which covers the actual filter.. so you really only have to clean the sock, which traps most of the dust and particles... The filter itself should be replaced every 20000 miles or so imho... depending on where you live and what the conditions are like...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
tfung said:
The Dinan filters come with a Nylon sock, which covers the actual filter.. so you really only have to clean the sock, which traps most of the dust and particles... The filter itself should be replaced every 20000 miles or so imho... depending on where you live and what the conditions are like...
You are correct, I mentioned servicing I did not think to share that they do not have to be replaced.... this was a good clarification to make.

Take care

Shadowman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
267 Posts
The new Dinan do not come with a sock, there is a baffle instead. I am not sure how to service mine as I know not to oil them , just hose em off???
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
Drew is correct, the "updated" version does not have the sock, which was designed to keep some moisture out of the system. As for cleaning vs replacing. Dinan recommends replacment, rather than cleaning and re-oiling. I'd imagine you could use a k&n maintanance kit to service them however. I thought my dinan guy told me to replace them every 50k, Bill, did you really mean every 5K! I planned on replacing them yearly. My recent oil analysis seemes to suggest that they're doing their job.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
DrewT said:
The new Dinan do not come with a sock, there is a baffle instead. I am not sure how to service mine as I know not to oil them , just hose em off???

Actually, I think the old ones had the baffle. The new ones have the sock over the filter.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
SACM5 said:
Actually, I think the old ones had the baffle. The new ones have the sock over the filter.
No it is the other way around. I added the dinan cai, what, maybe 8-9 mos ago. After reading some posts here about a 'sock' i called dinan in mountain view (where i bought my parts )and asked Jeff. He told me the new design has a baffle system to keep water away from the filters, while the older design had the socks. Straight from the horse's mouth!
mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
mottati said:
No it is the other way around. I added the dinan cai, what, maybe 8-9 mos ago. After reading some posts here about a 'sock' i called dinan in mountain view (where i bought my parts )and asked Jeff. He told me the new design has a baffle system to keep water away from the filters, while the older design had the socks. Straight from the horse's mouth!
mike
You are correct sir!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
warhaven said:
You are correct sir!

Okay well then that must be version 3 because I am positive there was a setup prior to the sock. In fact, I think it used to come without the IATS, and the 2nd version came with the sock / IATS and I guess now you have some sort of baffle setup. I would think that would be a little restrictive?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
SACM5 said:
Okay well then that must be version 3 because I am positive there was a setup prior to the sock. In fact, I think it used to come without the IATS, and the 2nd version came with the sock / IATS and I guess now you have some sort of baffle setup. I would think that would be a little restrictive?
the baffles are not restrictive at all. Essentially, the kit includes open fog lamp surrounds, a baffle goes in behind that to catch/deflect rain water. Essentially, there is a direct opening for outside air to enter the fenderwell area where the filters are, with the baffles to keep the water away. There is also a set of baffles to keep engine compartment heat out of the air filter compartment. This version of the kit also has the iats kit.

I think the initial kit was exposed filters, no socks, no baffles and closed foglamp surrounds. Then the sock was added to try and keep the filters dry, then the baffle and open fog lamp kit was added, without socks.
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
mottati said:
the baffles are not restrictive at all. Essentially, the kit includes open fog lamp surrounds, a baffle goes in behind that to catch/deflect rain water. Essentially, there is a direct opening for outside air to enter the fenderwell area where the filters are, with the baffles to keep the water away. There is also a set of baffles to keep engine compartment heat out of the air filter compartment. This version of the kit also has the iats kit.

I think the initial kit was exposed filters, no socks, no baffles and closed foglamp surrounds. Then the sock was added to try and keep the filters dry, then the baffle and open fog lamp kit was added, without socks.
Mike

Ahh. Then that must be the same one that I have. I have the fog lamp setup and they told me it was the new design. I just was not aware there were baffles in there. Speaking of..... If anyone has this installed, does the piece that is mounted in behind the fog light duct seem to be kicked up a tiny bit? I dont remember one of them being pushed up a little bit, but now one is like that. I took it in thinking that is must have gotten kicked out of place and they said it was normal and that it could not move because it was bolted to the frame somehow. Does anyone elses do this. I would think with all the times I have detailed this car I would have noticed it kicked up a little. It is not noticable unless you get down there and stick your hand in the duct. Just curious.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
SACM5 said:
Speaking of..... If anyone has this installed, does the piece that is mounted in behind the fog light duct seem to be kicked up a tiny bit? I dont remember one of them being pushed up a little bit, but now one is like that. .
I'm not sure i completely understand. So if you were to try to stick your hand in the fog lamp hole, one "baffle" is not lined up the same as the other? They are pop rivited at a few places, mostly to the brake ducts (the metal parts), but either one could have not been lined up perfectly, or one could have moved a bit. I installed my own kit, and compared to a friends who had his done at dinan, there is a slight difference in the way they're lined up. I don't think it effects function though, i just had a hard time figuring out the instructions! THe part just behind the foglamp is like a blind opening with holes drilled at the bottom. water would enter, then drain out, while air could go around the baffle. Kind of like an old oil bath air cleaner off a 55 chevy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
HI,

Looking to repace my Dinan Cold Air Filters on my 2001 beast. Where can I buy them and how do I get to them?

Thanks!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,457 Posts
toolape said:
HI,

Looking to repace my Dinan Cold Air Filters on my 2001 beast. Where can I buy them and how do I get to them?

Thanks!
Dinan and dinan dealers sell them. You could probably just buy a K&n if you wanted, but the price difference isn't that great, i'd imagine. Additionally, you could just get a k&n kit and clean and reoil your filters. Dinan does specifically recommend against that, probably due to concerns of over or under oiling the filters.

To access them, remove the plastic front fenderwell liner. It's the part that is the corner part of the underbelly pannel below and behind the fog lamps. a few 10mm bolts and a few 8mm bolts in the fenderwell and it will drop out and the filters are there.
Mike
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top