BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but I would love to hear from the guys that have added the chip on it's own, without other stuff, and how you would describe the results.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
156 Posts
to be honest its not that serious, i jus bought it for the heck of it whein i was a bmw.

You wont notice much.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I felt slightly more torque under 3k (throttle response?)and raised rpm limiter is nice, never bounce off it now. HP-wise probably only a few, not enough to dyno or feel at peak. Knowing you're delimited is very nice since I try to goad fast cars on the highway :biggrin:

·
Registered
124 Posts
IMO it helps P400 more than P500. P400 feels much smoother and more powerful.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
More opinions????

Any other opiniions. I've got to believe handreds of you add the chip. Just my dealer said he's done 20 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Any other opiniions. I've got to believe handreds of you add the chip. Just my dealer said he's done 20 or so.
FYI, you don't buy a chip. They flash the memory chip on your car. We had a dyno day at our dealer this Saturday and those with the Dinan software flash were getting about 4-8 more hp at the wheels.

:cheers:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, you don't buy a chip. They flash the memory chip on your car. We had a dyno day at our dealer this Saturday and those with the Dinan software flash were getting about 4-8 more hp at the wheels.

:cheers:
Thanks man. I knew they flashed the existing chip. It's more a figure of speach. It shows how old I am.

Good info. Did the guys that had it feel positive about the upgrade?

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Thanks man. I knew they flashed the existing chip. It's more a figure of speach. It shows how old I am.

Good info. Did the guys that had it feel positive about the upgrade?
Yes and no - some liked it and were going for the Dinan throttle bodies, exhaust, and etc... others were disappointed in the cost per hp. I think you can get a similiar boost just removing the carbon filters (this is done when you get the Dinan s/w flash). There is some ease of mind when the dealer's doing the mods. with Dinan and BMW warranties backing them up.

Yeah we used to chip 'em huh?

cherrsagai

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'll just give up and pull out the 430 when I have an itch.:applause:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Do all BMW dealers do Dinan mods?
No. There used to be more but the numbers have been decreasing recently. I'm not sure if anyone knows exactly why, but a general belief is that since BMW itself is making a push to sell its own aftermarket products, carrying Dinan products at the same time would compete with their own line.

My dealer installed Dinan software and removed the charcoal filter for my car, but since then they have dropped selling and installing Dinan products.

I’m sure there are more, but here are a few threads on the subject, all of which were active around the same time -- mid December 2007.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108823&highlight=dinan+dealers

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108830&highlight=dinan+dealers

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108829&highlight=dinan+dealers

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dukecat:

Do you mind sharing your impressions of the upgrade?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dukecat:

Do you mind sharing your impressions of the upgrade?
I am very happy with the software -- key word: PACKAGE -- and HIGHLY recommend the software package to anyone who does not yet have their charcoal filter out and wants Dinan to do it so that the removal is covered by warranty.

Dinan is true to their word in that I definitely feel a bit more torque at the low end and a sportier throttle response. As I have said before, however, I just do not know how much of the performance gains I can attribute to the software itself. I was previously told by a Dinan rep that the majority of the hp gains do, in fact, come from removal of the filter (which most people remove themselves). Others, however, have been told the opposite from Dinan. So who knows?

And to those wondering, no Dinan does not sell the removal of the charcoal filter as a separate item. It only comes with the purchase of the software. I asked.

Here is a relevant post that covers a discussion of the software with the thread itself pasted as well because it includes a relatively thorough exchange of thoughts on the matter:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1113826&postcount=173

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101580&highlight=dukecat+charcoal+dinan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Dinan Stage One

Hey CPIguy: Regards from Sardinia and an Alfa 159 TDi -- ughh, but a wrentawreck so not to fret. And roads are very narrow plus the Carabinieri very anxious to interview me. If i had the M here I'd be in an Italian jail.

Yes, I did the Dinan stage one chip upgrade. BTW at AVUS Autosport in Glendale --in out in no time plus the loudness upgrades. Really good shop and spotless clean. Prefer to the dealership, and they only do Dinan and trick M stuff.

I'm pleased.....P400 more responsive, throttle tip in more like P500 to the point that I actually drive in 400 more often (might save a few tire miles). Not sure about any hp ups etc, i know there is a marginal increase but mostly I like the increased p400 responsiveness. Also like the 150 extra revs I was hitting the shutoff every time in 500. Haven't seen the far side of 155 yet but in need of speed ---we'll see.

Also new michelin PS2 just installed --- much improved over contis. Next is the Dinan diff and we'll be set for awhile.

Maybe a GTG?

See ya---be well, hows the red mutha, weather good enuf for the top down.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope your having a blast CJ!!! Thanks for the feedback. Good enough for me. The RED car is still as exciting to drive as the day I got her. Can't believe it was 6 months ago. Give me a call when you get back and we'll hook up.

PS: Do you play poker???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.