BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sup V10 nerds!!!

Title says it all, so if you don't want to waste your valuable trolling time reading this, move on to the next thread. Take this as simply my feeble attempt at increasing my post count. I'll post the details below regardless for future reference, might help someone reduce their aggravation and guess work.

Anyways, been a while since I've posted in this sub-forum. I've been slummin' it at the E39 and E34 sub-forums in the last year or so, focusing on finishing my M5 wagon build - its finally done BTW, passed smog last Friday. So cool to have something that nobody else can get!!! Now that that 2-yr long project is done, I can focus on building the E60 again. Installed a Dinan diff last month, yey!

So onwards with the post...

Some of you might remember the brain fart I had a couple of years ago, parting out my M5. Halfway through the part out, I realized what a mistake I was making and stopped it. Ever since, I had all intention to build it up again. At that time, I had updated the Dinan S2 tune with the catless tune, also by Dinan. After I sold my headers and full Dinan Race exhaust system, the car stayed with the catless tune and fully stock exhaust, but sat unused (4k miles/year if that). I never bothered to take it back to stock tune because I had all the intention of going catless again, albeit, with my own custom built system. I'm basically at this point now, but a small monkey wrench called the CA bi-annual smog test came into play. My registration and a smog check was due mid-Feb this year, so like a good, responsible motorist that I am (wolfpack - shut up!), 30 days before due date, I took my car for a smog test. Emissions test passed, very low emissions, visual passed obviously, functional test failed, OBDII system was not ready. I've been using the same Star Certified smog station for 15 years and this guy knows how to LEGALLY pass BMWs, especially the older M cars. So he asked me if I drive the car a lot, I told him it sits collecting dust and cobwebs. He told me to drive the car, OBDII is not ready and needs to reset. Ok, so I start driving the car again, a couple of days out of the week, and for the next 60 days and 5 more visits to the smog station, same result. OBDII is not ready, so the car couldn't pass smog. S.O.B.!!!

At this point I was pretty irritated, but too lazy to do any searching on the board for more info. I visited my local BMW indy shop, they have a good Autologic scanner/coder and came in very handy a couple of times on my other M5s in the past. I explained to the indy shop owner the situation and he immediately said that "adaptations can be cleared out" and OBDII should reset. I said, yippie, let's do it as I'm behind on my registration renewal. We hook up the car, scanned it for error codes - it has 0 codes. He goes in deeper to look at the adaptations and tries to clear them - adaptations failed to clear! We try this a couple more times. Same result, Autologic could not clear the adaptations (which I understand as parameters that the Dinan catless tune locks in place so the CEL light won't stay on in the absence of cats). If my understanding is wrong, kindly correct me, or please elaborate if you have a better understanding. So, since he couldn't clear the adaptations, he asked if I was running a tune. I told him the car still has the Dinan catless tune when I was running the bad ***** mofo exhaust system from before, but now its completely stock. He suggested that I go back to stock tune and then smog the car. I wasn't averse to the idea for the sake of passing smog, but it is such a PITA because ultimately I will be going catless in another month or so.

So last week, I drop off the car to Crevier BMW to upload the stock tune. $250 for the job, plus the SA tries to sell me a brake fluid flush for $170, really!. They did give me the baby ugly duckling GT for a loaner for a week, that was fun! I haven't driven a 4 cylinder car since my college years. During the course of the week, a couple more calls were exchanged between me and the SA, they tell me that they've loaded the stock tune but they were having a bit of trouble getting all the readiness codes and suggested that replacing all 4 O2 sensors at $350 each should do the trick. Well, color me a monkey's uncle if I was going to fall for that. But I'm not mad or the least bit surprised. They wouldn't be the dealer if they didn't try to get a couple of grand from me every time I left my car with them. On top of their suggestion, they also said that there was no guarantee that replacing the O2 sensors would get all the readiness codes. My sole objective from this visit was to get the stock tune and pass smog, so I asserted myself and told them that I'd really want to find out if it was just the tune that was keeping me from passing smog. Well, a week and $250 later, I got my car back and went straight to my smog guy. The car passed smog instantly. Amazing!

So now I'm rocking a stock tune with stock exhaust, total deja vu from 6 years ago when I first bought Queenie. All you modded exhaust peeps, eat your hearts out!

Now I'm working of finishing up my custom built exhaust. Once its on the car, I haven't decided if I should go back to Crevier and load the Dinan catless tune again for another $250 or just develop a custom tune. Something to mull over for the next month or two.

That's it. I thought I'd share this experience and put it on record. Hopefully you find it somewhat amusing, entertaining.

This is not an April fools joke. As someone here on the board loves to say..."PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!", give me a couple of days to dig up some of the pics I took along this small adventure and will post.

Reactions: e39_415

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Sup V10 nerds!!!

Title says it all, so if you don't want to waste your valuable trolling time reading this, move on to the next thread. Take this as simply my feeble attempt at increasing my post count. I'll post the details below regardless for future reference, might help someone reduce their aggravation and guess work.

Anyways, been a while since I've posted in this sub-forum. I've been slummin' it at the E39 and E34 sub-forums in the last year or so, focusing on finishing my M5 wagon build - its finally done BTW, passed smog last Friday. So cool to have something that nobody else can get!!! Now that that 2-yr long project is done, I can focus on building the E60 again. Installed a Dinan diff last month, yey!

So onwards with the post...

Some of you might remember the brain fart I had a couple of years ago, parting out my M5. Halfway through the part out, I realized what a mistake I was making and stopped it. Ever since, I had all intention to build it up again. At that time, I had updated the Dinan S2 tune with the catless tune, also by Dinan. After I sold my headers and full Dinan Race exhaust system, the car stayed with the catless tune and fully stock exhaust, but sat unused (4k miles/year if that). I never bothered to take it back to stock tune because I had all the intention of going catless again, albeit, with my own custom built system. I'm basically at this point now, but a small monkey wrench called the CA bi-annual smog test came into play. My registration and a smog check was due mid-Feb this year, so like a good, responsible motorist that I am (wolfpack - shut up!), 30 days before due date, I took my car for a smog test. Emissions test passed, very low emissions, visual passed obviously, functional test failed, OBDII system was not ready. I've been using the same Star Certified smog station for 15 years and this guy knows how to LEGALLY pass BMWs, especially the older M cars. So he asked me if I drive the car a lot, I told him it sits collecting dust and cobwebs. He told me to drive the car, OBDII is not ready and needs to reset. Ok, so I start driving the car again, a couple of days out of the week, and for the next 60 days and 5 more visits to the smog station, same result. OBDII is not ready, so the car couldn't pass smog. S.O.B.!!!

At this point I was pretty irritated, but too lazy to do any searching on the board for more info. I visited my local BMW indy shop, they have a good Autologic scanner/coder and came in very handy a couple of times on my other M5s in the past. I explained to the indy shop owner the situation and he immediately said that "adaptations can be cleared out" and OBDII should reset. I said, yippie, let's do it as I'm behind on my registration renewal. We hook up the car, scanned it for error codes - it has 0 codes. He goes in deeper to look at the adaptations and tries to clear them - adaptations failed to clear! We try this a couple more times. Same result, Autologic could not clear the adaptations (which I understand as parameters that the Dinan catless tune locks in place so the CEL light won't stay on in the absence of cats). If my understanding is wrong, kindly correct me, or please elaborate if you have a better understanding. So, since he couldn't clear the adaptations, he asked if I was running a tune. I told him the car still has the Dinan catless tune when I was running the bad ***** mofo exhaust system from before, but now its completely stock. He suggested that I go back to stock tune and then smog the car. I wasn't averse to the idea for the sake of passing smog, but it is such a PITA because ultimately I will be going catless in another month or so.

So last week, I drop off the car to Crevier BMW to upload the stock tune. $250 for the job, plus the SA tries to sell me a brake fluid flush for $170, really!. They did give me the baby ugly duckling GT for a loaner for a week, that was fun! I haven't driven a 4 cylinder car since my college years. During the course of the week, a couple more calls were exchanged between me and the SA, they tell me that they've loaded the stock tune but they were having a bit of trouble getting all the readiness codes and suggested that replacing all 4 O2 sensors at $350 each should do the trick. Well, color me a monkey's uncle if I was going to fall for that. But I'm not mad or the least bit surprised. They wouldn't be the dealer if they didn't try to get a couple of grand from me every time I left my car with them. On top of their suggestion, they also said that there was no guarantee that replacing the O2 sensors would get all the readiness codes. My sole objective from this visit was to get the stock tune and pass smog, so I asserted myself and told them that I'd really want to find out if it was just the tune that was keeping me from passing smog. Well, a week and $250 later, I got my car back and went straight to my smog guy. The car passed smog instantly. Amazing!

So now I'm rocking a stock tune with stock exhaust, total deja vu from 6 years ago when I first bought Queenie. All you modded exhaust peeps, eat your hearts out!

Now I'm working of finishing up my custom built exhaust. Once its on the car, I haven't decided if I should go back to Crevier and load the Dinan catless tune again for another $250 or just develop a custom tune. Something to mull over for the next month or two.

That's it. I thought I'd share this experience and put it on record. Hopefully you find it somewhat amusing, entertaining.

This is not an April fools joke. As someone here on the board loves to say..."PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!", give me a couple of days to dig up some of the pics I took along this small adventure and will post.
Brain fart and Wolfpack are the only two things I read in your post :tonquesmilie:

Kidding aside...I can't wait to see the results of your headers. The Wolfpack will buy you all the Ben and Jerry's you can stuff in your belly for life for your headers.

And congrats again for getting the e60 (and Unicorn) legal and smogged.

Registered
I didn't know Dinan had a catless tune...When I called them to ask if I could get the coldstart removed from my Dinan Stage 3 tune, they said they wouldn't because it's to warm up the cats and they don't want to be held liable incase of a cat failure was root caused to not having a cold start. I then asked them what if I was catless and they still said they wouldn't do it.

This was about a year and a half ago, I think.

Registered
Good to know Jed. I have the Dinan carless tune as well and my smog is up in Nov. Will be interesting to see how things play out for me being that I drive my beast daily (not sure if that will have any effect on the Dinan catless tune passing smog). If I do happen to fail smog, my shop can flash back my Dinan Stage 3 tune, go pass smog and then go put the carless tune back on. Anyway subscribed to this thread as a fellow "wolpack" member. :cheers:

Registered
So cool to have something that nobody else can get!!!
Thanks for sharing the useful info.

One note though, that M5 sitting in my driveway right now is something nobody else can get. Ain't that cool?

Registered
The Dinan catless tune will disable post cat o2 sensors to prevent the check engine light from coming on. No matter how long you drive it the car will never set to "ready" under those emission monitors. Going back to stock will do no good if you don't have primary cats because soon after uploading the stock software it will throw a catalyst below threshold fault.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't know Dinan had a catless tune...When I called them to ask if I could get the coldstart removed from my Dinan Stage 3 tune, they said they wouldn't because it's to warm up the cats and they don't want to be held liable incase of a cat failure was root caused to not having a cold start. I then asked them what if I was catless and they still said they wouldn't do it.

This was about a year and a half ago, I think.

That is odd. Trying to remember when I got the catless tune, I think it was back in 2012. I was speaking to Chris McNaughton at the Dinan booth that year at bimmerfest. He said they have the catless update for my car. Prior to this I was just running the normal S2 tune since my car was a full S2. The CEL light didn't immediately come on after I had switched to RPI headers, it took a while, like months, before the CEL started to show up. Paid $1k for the S2 back in 2009, then additional $450 for the catless update. All that just to go back to stock, sucks! C'est la vie.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Discussion Starter #8

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The Dinan catless tune will disable post cat o2 sensors to prevent the check engine light from coming on. No matter how long you drive it the car will never set to "ready" under those emission monitors. Going back to stock will do no good if you don't have primary cats because soon after uploading the stock software it will throw a catalyst below threshold fault.

I wish I had know that they would never reset before driving to Sandy Eggo and back for nothing, lol. And that is correct, must have primary cats for stock tune to work properly.

Registered
Does your M5 require annual smog? I had to deal with annual smog since I
bought my car so 5 years in a row. Three of which with the SC and no cats :)

Enjoying the diff??

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just required to smog it every two years like the rest.

So happy I have the diff back in the car. I missed that extra punch. A little strange that this diff (yours) doesn't have such an invasive gear whine in the cabin like the previous Dinan diff I had. The gear whine is there but it is hardly noticeable... maybe I've just grown more deaf in my elder years.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Registered
There are those that say there maybe a toggle switch that can go between two tunes, all you have to do is re-install your cats and go smog.

Registered
Yep. Thanks to Ram selling me his RPi headers with his stock cats. I'm hoping I'll be golden for smog time. When it's time, I'll try it with the catless tune and put the primary cats back in first.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16

Registered
Travis (tju317) told me that when he still had his M5, he passed smog with the Evolve Race-R headers (straight pipes inserts, not the primary cat inserts) and secondary cats. Seems that for him, just having the secondaries allowed him to pass.

Registered
In my area they are starting to roll out OBD only check shortly. They will not check visual or emissions but just to make sure that the car has a stock tune....it should be easier to pass if one can switch in-between tunes when it only comes to check ready status and other parameters.

Registered
In my area they are starting to roll out OBD only check shortly. They will not check visual or emissions but just to make sure that the car has a stock tune....it should be easier to pass if one can switch in-between tunes when it only comes to check ready status and other parameters.
That would require me to insert my primary cat inserts then and to reflash back to the stock tune...a little bit of a pain. I'm hoping to try to see if I can pass with just secondaries and leave my straight primary inserts in, although who knows if I'll pass visual with the Evolve intake assemblies now.

Of course, there's always Plan B...

Registered
Hello,

CAn see if you cN help me. I have 06 m5 with decat headers and straight pipes. I live in Illinois and need to pass inspection next year just wondering what cab I do to pass. Now when I plug in 2 monitors not ready? I鈥檓 allowed to have one in not ready mode.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts