BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Dinan CAI on my 2001 M5. My friend ,a Ferrari guru, told me i should go back to stock air box as he didn't like the "Micky mouse" set up...
My car seems to be running rich one of his theories is that with the stock airbox engine would breathe better....
(I am going to change the air filters today and see if there is an improvement)

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Best place to get replacement Dinan air filters ? I am in L A

I am going to a local $tealer per Dinan website. Can you get a better deal somewhere else?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think when it comes to intakes alot of people will jump to the conclusion that it doesn't work.

This is not the case however all the of the time and the die hard 'keep it stock' crew need to be ignored in these situations.

Your car could be running rich due to something else. It probably is.

There are loads of variables that can cause the car to run rich.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I'll trade my stock setup for yours :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I am going to try to clean the MAF sensors and change the CAI filters for now.
PS I like your car (avus has always been my favorite ...)

·
10,456 Posts
what makes you believe your car is running rich?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have Dinan CAI on my 2001 M5. My friend ,a Ferrari guru, told me i should go back to stock air box as he didn't like the "Micky mouse" set up...
My car seems to be running rich one of his theories is that with the stock airbox engine would breathe better....
(I am going to change the air filters today and see if there is an improvement)

What do you guys think?

Did you buy your kit brand new or used??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what makes you believe your car is running rich?
I believe i have unburned fuel residue on the rear of the car (area from rear bumper up to the trunk spoiler)
It is not oily and about the same charcoal/black dust as on the exhaust tips...

·
10,456 Posts
I believe i have unburned fuel residue on the rear of the car (area from rear bumper up to the trunk spoiler)
It is not oily and about the same charcoal/black dust as on the exhaust tips...
sounds like every other M5 i've ever seen, and really means nothing. They all deposit carbon on the rear bumper.

at your milage, i'd wonder if you've replaced the MAFS', and the precat O2 sensors if you're concerned about potential mixture issues. New air filters couldn't hurt, and make sure you're not running the filter socks on the dinan filters, they came with the earlier kits but were deleted due to reducing airflow. The updated cai kits have water baffles and heat shields, as well as the iats relocation kit. Hardly "mickey mouse", but you can't expect much from a ferrari guy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
you can't expect much from a ferrari guy.
Well, some anyway. 2 buddies have Ferraris and are pretty cool. However, when I told one I bought and E39 M5 he had a strange look on his face. You know, the one that says "Oh s$%#, now he's got more power than me". I'm not gonna race him anyway but it was strange he could buy his Ferrarri and he gives me a dumb look when I bought the M5....go figure

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like every other M5 i've ever seen, and really means nothing. They all deposit carbon on the rear bumper.

at your milage, i'd wonder if you've replaced the MAFS',

I don't have any proof but the owner said they were replaced a while ago( i just looked at the cleaning procedure and will try it soon...)

and the precat O2 sensors if you're concerned about potential mixture issues.

Not sure about precat 02 sensors. There is a little bit of hesitation below 2000 RPM.

New air filters couldn't hurt, and make sure you're not running the filter socks on the dinan filters, they came with the earlier kits but were deleted due to reducing airflow.

Ok i guess i can only get the current ones from Dinan.

The updated cai kits have water baffles and heat shields, as well as the iats relocation kit.

Pictures?
Hardly "mickey mouse", but you can't expect much from a ferrari guy.
FUNNY

I just lost my right splash guard which was already cracked and the outside temperature sensor. At least it will be easier to change the filter on this side...

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't install the software needed for the CAI kit.
You can't just bolt it on a go, it was made to be used together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm guessing you didn't install the software needed for the CAI kit.
You can't just bolt it on a go, it was made to be used together.

No. The car had the CAI installed back when it was almost new.
Good question about the software. I could not register my car prior to complying with emissions recall. Took it to Sterling BMW in Newport back in march and they did a little bit of magic... (not sure if they did anything...noooo) and i haven't checked the software version since.
What should it be?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I am going to a local $tealer per Dinan website. Can you get a better deal somewhere else?
Thanks
-Take it to Chris at BMS, he'll sort out if anything is wrong. 714-429-0257.

p.s. BMS is where Dinan told me to go when I called them years ago and asked for a non-$tealer recommendation.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
+1 Chris is the tops:cheers:

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Thanks Chris sounds like a pro but he is in Santa Ana...
-Avus would be your next best bet for Dinan work. They are in Glendale. Depending on traffic you might be better off just running down the 405 to BMS. I know of no Dinan $tealerships worth taking your car to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts