BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the car has a pretty serious power deficit after doing some stop and go...Observing the intake air temp in the secret menu verifies that the air temp soars when sitting.

I have the IATS relocation kit with the probe right down there with the filters, the fog light surrounds are dremmeled out to allow air in, but when the aux fan kicks on; HOT air is actually EXHAUSTED out through the fog light holes! This can't be good. In any case the airt temp down there always climbs very rapidly if not moving...

Once the car gets going i can watch the intake air drop rapidly eventually matching the outside air temp also displayed on the dash (easier to watch if you set your temp settings to Celsius so the measurements are in the same units)...But if you want power off the line, no dice its not there until the intake air cools...

Has anyone tried oping up the voids where the filter are to allow more air?

Wanted to fool around with some kid in a warmed up ricer on PCH this weekend, (i know kind of like beating up your sister), but the power was way down with the hot weather and traffic I'd just got out of...

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Intake temps will soar when stationary with all intake systems as far as our testing has shown.

The main thing is how quickly the temperatures drop as soon as you start moving. The Dinan intake and ours which are both similar will drop temperature very fast once the car starts moving.

The probe should ideally be fitted behind the air filter in the intake tube for a true intake temperature reading - ie - what's being drawn in.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The proper Dinan sensor location is in front of the radiator and condenser, next to the aux fan. This doesn't fall victim to the heat soak you are mentioning.

·
3,068 Posts
So that setup is really measuring the temperature behind the bumper near the aux fan. It's meant to be measuring the intake temperature!

Intake probe must be somewhere in the intake tract for the ECU compensations to work correctly!!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
So that setup is really measuring the temperature behind the bumper near the aux fan. It's meant to be measuring the intake temperature!

Intake probe must be somewhere in the intake tract for the ECU compensations to work correctly!!
I understand. Why do you think Dinan decided to have it mounted there when it could easily be mounted in the intake tube?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
No idea why but i don't agree with them on this one.
How easy do you think it would be to drill a hole in the CF intake tubes down by the air filter and mount the sensor?

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Better to drill a hole in the filter's rubber boot and mount it there. I had mine routed into my brake ducts(completely sealed off from engine bay, with heat reflective foil) and it still soaked. I moved it into the boot on the right side intake and the soaking virtually went away.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better to drill a hole in the filter's rubber boot and mount it there. I had mine routed into my brake ducts(completely sealed off from engine bay, with heat reflective foil) and it still soaked. I moved it into the boot on the right side intake and the soaking virtually went away.
I'll try that...Makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just mount it in the top plate of the filter (very bottom when on the car) with everything from the large nut onward inside the filter. Use a bit of Si. And if you are really anal, install one in the other filter just for flow cherrsagai

Reactions: russap5

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Are we all referring to this spot on the filter??

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Sounds logical to me. (Added to my long to-do list)
+1 Will do this on Friday with some other things. Seems simple enough. Just need to see how long the wires are or if I need to extend them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How easy do you think it would be to drill a hole in the CF intake tubes down by the air filter and mount the sensor?
CF tubes get HOT however there is air moving through the tubes which i would assume would cool the probe to the intake air temp...Man the traffic girl on CBS 2 in LA in the morning is hot:blabla:...Sorry watching the news and drinking coffee the AM here...

·
3,068 Posts
CF tubes get HOT however there is air moving through the tubes which i would assume would cool the probe to the intake air temp...Man the traffic girl on CBS 2 in LA in the morning is hot:blabla:...Sorry watching the news and drinking coffee the AM here...
The traffic girl sounds interesting! Take a picture :)

I am running prototype stainless steel intake tubes with the probe inside the tube. No heatsoaking and the intake temp = ambient as soon as the speed rises above 40mph or if I give a quick large throttle opening under load in any gear. I tried to make a video of this but it's hard to get shots of the screen with our camera.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The traffic girl sounds interesting! Take a picture :)

I am running prototype stainless steel intake tubes with the probe inside the tube. No heatsoaking and the intake temp = ambient as soon as the speed rises above 40mph or if I give a quick large throttle opening under load in any gear. I tried to make a video of this but it's hard to get shots of the screen with our camera.
Sal, how are you viewing the intake temp? I'd like to monitor mine too but don't see it in the secret menu or OBC.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts