BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
10,455 Posts
Can you measure the piston diameters for us?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will do measurements and post later. I am actually a Dinan dealer and these brakes are for a fellow board member. I just thought that you all would like to see the brakes first hand.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Very cool :1:

I spoke with Eric at Dinan an hour or so ago and he tells me that my 4 wheel kit (with red :haha: calipers) should arrive at BMW Towson early next week.

I plan to take pics of the install. I'll post as soon as I can.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Re: very.... very nice!

RennSportSC'dKellenersM5 said:
My one question..why would you choose dinan brakes over just regular brembo or stoptech?

I would ask that question too. Dinamn SAYS they are different from regular Brembo. But I'm not buying it. I think ot's just a marketing ploy designed to net Dinan some profits...
I think Dave Z can shed some light on this.. Dave???

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

My one question..why would you choose dinan brakes over just regular brembo or stoptech?
Dinan is charging the exact same list price for the "Dinan by Brembo" 4-wheel brake upgrade that you would pay for the Brembo 4-wheel kit. I can see if Dinan were charging a 30% premium over the "ordinary" Brembo brake upgrade that one would be incented to just go with the original Brembo kit. But this is the same price. If your goal is to spend enough money with Dinan to get one of their coveted DINAN badges for your trunk, then the "Dinan by Brembo" brakes can help you cross that threshold. Plus you get DINAN badged calipers, which are slightly more exclusive than the normal Brembo logo.

From what I've seen, the Dinan option limits you to black calipers. I don't think they offfer them in red or silver.

As for why you would pick these over the StopTech brakes, that comes down to the same rationale one would make when choosing the Brembo over StopTech. You trade off better pedal feel (StopTech) for better front and rear wheel fitment (Brembo). And there's always the issue of the logo on the calipers. Some folks feel that Brembo is a more established and prestigious name than StopTech. On the other hand, with the way StopTech is winning races lately, especially in the BMW dominated SCCA World Challenge events, the prestige argument is getting less compelling. When StopTech first came out, lots of customers would order their kits without logos. That almost never happens these days.

·
Registered
797 Posts

DZeckhausen said:
From what I've seen, the Dinan option limits you to black calipers. I don't think they offfer them in red or silver.
Dave. They're offering them with red calipers also. Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

rebel1 said:
I would ask that question too. Dinamn SAYS they are different from regular Brembo. But I'm not buying it. I think ot's just a marketing ploy designed to net Dinan some profits...
I think Dave Z can shed some light on this.. Dave???
I think we've heard from Dinan that they are using different (Ferodo) pads than the ordinary Brembo brakes. Typically the Brembo kits come loaded with Hawk HPS pads.

I'll be interested to see what Dinan charges for replacement pads!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

x703jko said:
Dave. They're offering them with red calipers also. Jeff :cheers:
I sit corrected. Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts

DZeckhausen said:
I think we've heard from Dinan that they are using different (Ferodo) pads than the ordinary Brembo brakes. Typically the Brembo kits come loaded with Hawk HPS pads.

I'll be interested to see what Dinan charges for replacement pads!
Dave. Can you tell us what the critical difference are between the Ferodos and the Hawks? Jeff :cheers:

PS. I'll find out what the replacement costs are. Jeff

·
Registered
2,482 Posts

If you get a chance, could you take a close-up photo of the rear of the pads in both the front and rear calipers? The part numbers printed on the backing plates should clue me in as to which friction type Dinan has picked for these brakes. That could benefit other M5 owners with Dinan Stage 3 suspensions who already have the "ordinary" Brembo 4-wheel big brake kit.

Here are TitanM3's photos, edited to save space:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
well if they dont cost any more and they have a better pad...i guess they would be worth the money. Titan...i appologize.

I still dont buy how these would be any better though...minus the pad change.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
well if they dont cost any more and they have a better pad...i guess they would be worth the money. Titan...i appologize.

I still dont buy how these would be any better though...minus the pad change.
I don't know as I would characterize it as a "better" pad. Supposedly Dinan selected a combination of pads that would result in the proper balance (front/back) to optimize the stopping distance for the lowered M5/540i with the Stage 3 suspension. If they did it right, they would have either increased the Cf of the rear pads or decreased the Cf of the front pads or both. If you don't have a lowered M5, then you would supposedly be better off with the pads in the "standard" Brembo kit.

Of course all of that goes out the window when you take the car to the track and put on track pads and R compound race tires.

What would be very interesting is seeing a write-up on the testing Dinan conducted in order to pick these particular pads. Did they do something like this? http://www.zeckhausen.com/Testing_Brakes.htm Or did the marketing department simply say, "Let's use some other decent pad so we can claim the Dinan brakes are optimized for the Dinan Stage 3 equipped cars?" As of yet, I've seen nothing that describes Dinan's testing methodology.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

MIB said:
Because he saw how cool, Yoda Looks. hiha

Hey Mark that does look cool.. but wheels look small! :haha:

How ya doing mate?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts