BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the past 2 hours searching for a review/install/impressions thread on the Dinan Billet Short Shifter. All I can find are a few pre-2010 threads which probably aren't even talking about the newer, current version of the Dinan SSK (original version was black and allegedly just a repackaged E60 545 shifter).

I was originally planning on installing an E60 SSK like my previous M5s but saw that the Dinan SSK is reasonably priced and looks like the blue thing could help tighten up my shifter assembly if it replaces the white shifter bearing (#3) and fits directly into the horizontal arm (#2). Also wouldn't mind trying out a new part as opposed to defaulting to the same parts I've used in the past.

Here's a pic of the shifter I'm referring to and the RealOEM shifter assembly diagram for reference:

Has anyone installed this? If so, how do you like it?
What part(s) do the blue cup looking thing around the pivot ball replace?
Does the blue thing replace that white shifter bearing top ring(#3) and fit directly into the shifter arm(#2)?

I was planning on getting an SSK and replacing my front oval bushings(#13), rear shifter bushing(#14), and white shifter bearing(#3 in RealOEM diagram) for a tighter shifter assembly. By looking at the diagram, I can infer the blue thing does in fact replace the white shifter bearing and fits directly into the horizontal shift arm(#2 in the diagram).

However I'd prefer to know more than just an educated guess when purchasing mods for my car. I would also like to know how other people like this particular SSK as a whole before purchasing it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have one however installed this on my E46 M3 which is the exact same part for E39 M5. I believe its a rebranded B & M sifter with a Dinan sticker as I believe they are under the driven performance group. Only bought it because it was replacing my original Dinan OEM shifter aka V1 that was extremely worn out and wanted to keep the Dinan theme. Overall quality is nice, more notchy and less slop compared to original shifter V1 feel. Yes the blue base replaces the white shifter base. Overall shifter is nice for the streets despite how many people bash it however for my M5 I stuck with my E60 SSK as it compliments the car better for me as it requires less effort to put in gear. Good luck on your choice :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
As offraodkarter stated I have one installed in my car. Overall I definitely like it, part of what I like is the blue base that replaces the white base, seems more solid to me. And as Pontek2 said it is a bit notchy but I don't have any issues with getting it into gear and it feels nice and direct.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I should've realized it's just a rebranded B&M shifter haha. I appreciate the help. I'm debating going for the Dinan or the E60 shifter like I had in my previous M5s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is that one height adjustable? By loosening the 2 bolts on the side?

I had purchased one similar to that except it is adjustable. The thicker portion can be adjusted by screwing it, to a shorter or longer length, not much, maybe a quarter of an inch. I too already have a E60 shifter in the M5, but was considering going more weighted, with the thicker neck, plus it had only cost like $20, so I wasn't taking so much leap there. Haven't had time to install it yet, and, still have the same concerns as you. It was only $20 new! Same billet quality, same design, no I don't know who about makes it, probably good ole China.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is that one height adjustable? By loosening the 2 bolts on the side?

I had purchased one similar to that except it is adjustable. The thicker portion can be adjusted by screwing it, to a shorter or longer length, not much, maybe a quarter of an inch. I too already have a E60 shifter in the M5, but was considering going more weighted, with the thicker neck, plus it had only cost like $20, so I wasn't taking so much leap there. Haven't had time to install it yet, and, still have the same concerns as you. It was only $20 new! Same billet quality, same design, no I don't know who about makes it, probably good ole China.
The Dinan shifter is not height adjustable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here is the one I had picked up for reference:

As I look at it more, it actually looks like it's designed well. With more consideration. In addition to being adjustable height, the cup for the ball has an rubber bushing inside, so it's kind of springy. The plastic bushings to the connector are made of metal, which would make it feel less sloppy, based on the other thread with replaced bushings. Seems nice, maybe I should try it.?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm looking for the consensus on latest shift kit/rebuild that people like.
In one of M5's I've done the e60 rod and the ECS kit:

In my other car the previous owner did the unknown as I have yet to dig into it.
I'll do the same rebuild kit and rod as I think it feels great.

Unless someone can sway me otherwise?
Who's done a set-up they prefer over the e60 rod and fresh OE parts that isn't notchy feeling?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts