BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if their is a way to fit the dinan mass air meters on the stock intake?

I have the AA intake dont want to spend the 2600 for cai just want the air mass meters?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I think with the proper rubber tubbing/ connectors it should fit...not 100% though...
Does any one know if their is a way to fit the dinan mass air meters on the stock intake?

I have the AA intake dont want to spend the 2600 for cai just want the air mass meters?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I think with the proper rubber tubbing/ connectors it should fit...not 100% though...
+1 But I don't think you'd get the full potential as you'll be introducing bottlenecks before and after the Air Mass Meters... Air flow would not have the same velocity...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im just seeing my options I dont think the stage 4 software likes the stock air mass meters I spoke with a dinan rep and he said it sends a different voltage reading.... so im trying to avoid buying the cai and air mass meters

I think the price went up alot on the cai

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one have the Conforti shark injector -Race Would like to hear some feedback

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
actually where would the air bottle neck after the air mass meter if he got the proper tubeing his only issue really is getting the hook up to the stock air box the rest is easy.

+1 But I don't think you'd get the full potential as you'll be introducing bottlenecks before and after the Air Mass Meters... Air flow would not have the same velocity...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The Dinan MAFs are 3.5" outer diameter, so might be able to do an adapter to fit the Dinan MAFs, but it might be kind of hard. Maybe a slicone adapter that fits over the airbox outlet and drops down to the MAF size?

Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im gonna stick with my dinan software and reset tool that I just bought from turner

Thanks for the input:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Well, that doesn't really solve your problem if you're running Stage 4 software with the wrong MAFs.

A larger MAF housing, with the same MAF element, will give off a lower voltage for the same airflow as the stock housing.

So if you're running stock housings with software designed for larger housings, then your ECU will think there is more airflow than is actually coming in, and will run rich. Your O2 sensor will try to adapt the best it can, but once it gets over a certain value, it will throw codes. By using a reset tool, it will just go rich again until the O2 sensor can adapt.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldnt the AA CAI supply more air about the same as the dinan CAI so maybe its recieving the same amount of air?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
That's what i encounter when i got the Dinan MAFS installed and run Powerchip software...but Powerchip solved my problem by retuning the software...
Well, that doesn't really solve your problem if you're running Stage 4 software with the wrong MAFs.

A larger MAF housing, with the same MAF element, will give off a lower voltage for the same airflow as the stock housing.

So if you're running stock housings with software designed for larger housings, then your ECU will think there is more airflow than is actually coming in, and will run rich. Your O2 sensor will try to adapt the best it can, but once it gets over a certain value, it will throw codes. By using a reset tool, it will just go rich again until the O2 sensor can adapt.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's not a matter of how much air is getting supplied, it's a matter of how much air is getting read by the ECU.

A larger MAF has a different voltage vs. airflow curve than stock, so the ECU is reprogrammed to use the new curve. The MAF must match what the ECU is programmed for.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That means that i gotta get $4500 worth of **** ???? Or New software

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
It's not a matter of how much air is getting supplied, it's a matter of how much air is getting read by the ECU.

A larger MAF has a different voltage vs. airflow curve than stock, so the ECU is reprogrammed to use the new curve. The MAF must match what the ECU is programmed for.
I added the Dinan MAF housings. No change in programming, which might explain why I didn't notice any difference in power.

My AFR's, as dyno measured, rose slightly from 12.2 to 12.5.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That means that i gotta get $4500 worth of **** ???? Or New software
I'm surprised they sold you the software without making sure you had the supported mods, maybe they can downgrade you?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
He says he has the Stage 4 software, but not the MAFs or CAI.

Which means he has to buy the Dinan MAFs and CAI ($4500 new price) or get new software for the mods he has with the standard MAFs

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Jerry,

Powerchip adjusted my afr after i ran too rich ...but it's at 12.2 right now and felt the difference don't know if that slight change on afr's made the difference, the High flow air mass meters or both...

I added the Dinan MAF housings. No change in programming, which might explain why I didn't notice any difference in power.

My AFR's, as dyno measured, rose slightly from 12.2 to 12.5.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Jerry,

Powerchip adjusted my afr after i ran too rich ...but it's at 12.2 right now and felt the difference don't know if that slight change on afr's made the difference, the High flow air mass meters or both...
Right. That is why I didn't bother with a PC retune, I think 12.5 is fine and might actually be a little closer to optimum (from a touch rich) on my car.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im Going to try to contact Sean From DA -cali I also own his software but have been using the dinan in the meantime hopefully it will work

oh by the way i dont have a SES light from not having the Dinan MAF its from having race cats

1 - 20 of 21 Posts