BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I created this thread for owners with DINAN air intakes and wanted a quick DIY reference on how to remove the air filters.

**I'm not a professional, so do this at your own risk.

-------------------------------

Time: 15-20 Minutes
Tools: Pliers, screw driver and either K&N Air Filter cleaning solution and/or new air filter

I have heard that DINAN air filters can either be cleaned with cleaning solution from K&N or you can just replace them (approx $50 per filter). From what I gather, they should be cleaned/replaced once a year or every 30K miles. You could also follow the regular BMW filter schedule or Mike Millers' Guide.

1) Locate the air intake boxes in the engine compartment
2) Using a set of pliers (I used my leather-man) grip the plastic screw head and gently pull up. This will unseat the screw and using your fingers to remove the rest. There are many of these screws, so patience is a must.
3) Remove the lid once the screws are removed.
4) Inside you will see the air filter that is secured to the box by a metal band with a screw
5) Using a screw driver, loosen the screw on the metal band until it can move freely.
6) Rotate the air filter, and jiggle it out of the airbox. It is kind of a tight fit, so with some rotation of the piece, and jiggling, I got it out.
7) Either clean the filter with cleaning solution, or replace the filter with a new one.
8) Re-install.
9) Put everything back together in reverse order.

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice write up David!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts