Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got this email.....

Dear Dinan Customer,
Just wanted to let you know that we have new air intake/air mass
meter assemblies for your M5. The stock airboxes are replaced in
favor of new plastic Dinan pieces with attractive carbon fiber
lids. New larger air mass meters are in the kit as well. 21-hp gain!
If this is something you are interested in, just let me know.

Eric Bateman

The retail price is $2499 with a suggested labor time of 4 hours. We
recommend running Stage 3 software ($1199, or a small upgrade fee if
you already have software) for maximum gains.

Anyone done this yet? Is it worth it???

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Just got this email.....

Dear Dinan Customer,
Just wanted to let you know that we have new air intake/air mass
meter assemblies for your M5. The stock airboxes are replaced in
favor of new plastic Dinan pieces with attractive carbon fiber
lids. New larger air mass meters are in the kit as well. 21-hp gain!
If this is something you are interested in, just let me know. Stage 3 Software is recommended...

Retail $2,499 plus 4 hours labor...

Anyone done this yet? Is it worth it???
Got a call from Eric B. at Dinan yesterday. Apparently these should be shipped by mid May. Hoping to have mine installed around then. It will be interesting to see the difference in my times on the Performance Box.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If it came from Eric it will happen. He is the new sales manager and always reluctant to release info too soon. This also means software is done but will not be released to the dealers until May 10th because that is when they get their new cards with updates etc.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
xraym5 I want to wish you good luck with the Dinan air-intakes.
I hope you can show that they produce hp and real world gains.
You will probably need their Stage III software as they recommend to achieve the gains claimed.

I sure hope these intakes show gains that can be proved.

Go get them my friend.

M5Ranger

·
Registered
907 Posts
No Kidding....

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not going to be the guinea pig this time! :hihi: My suggestion - take your $2,500 and take a vacation. Its better than the aggrevation you'll feel after installing them.. 21 HP - my bet will be - YAEH RIGHT!! Whoever is gutsy enough to install the boxes get a before and after dyno - would love to see them!! :hihi::hihi::hihi::7::7::7::7::eek:oohhh::eek:oohhh:I will be most interested to see who here has learned anything over the past 2 months...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Scribed....

$2500-$3000 for the intake better yield real gains.

My guess - It will really pull apart the a/f mixture even more...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any thoughts about getting a stage 3 software using just RIP scoops and filter or K&N intake system.

This might be an option for guys with Dinan stage 1 software, but not willing to invest $2500 for Dinan intake.

Honestly i think Dinan have priced themselves out of the market this time. Might a well save the cash for a forced induction system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sad to say this MAF wont be usable or at least very difficult to use with other people software.. Its a Dinan only kind of thing.

Having come from an M3 which also offers a bigger MAF and such, I have never heard of anyone ranting about power gains. Sure maybe 5hp to the wheels, but the factory Intake and MAF already does its job well with a simple BMC filter..

Im skeptical and believe this is another choose a piece from dinan, must stick with Dinan gimick..

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
My guess is the claimed 21HP gain includes the gain from removing the charcoal filters and from the software. Lets count the CF removal for 10hp and the software for 5hp. That leaves a gain for 6 hp from the box and larger MAFs.

These guys make RPI look better every day.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
andrewsherman you are absolutely right.

Guys get the RPI scoops. Bang for the buck concept.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I think this airbox's competition is a BMC filter + RPI Scoops...willing to bet Dinan won't deliver anymore power than the RPI + BMC combo....

Pocket $2,000 for tires, vacation, a night out with the boys or the F12 M6.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
1 - 20 of 201 Posts