BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Dinan AFM extend from where the Dinan CAI system stops (closer to the plenium) to the plenium itself, or is it a smaller peice than this? Also, I noticed on all cars equipped with this system a portion of the intake above where the Dinan CAI is has been wrapped with something, is this also part of the setup?

Thank you,

Travis

·
10,455 Posts
The dinan afms are about the same size as stock (but larger bore) and those are dinan's larger diameter tubes leading from the mafs to the plenum. (In actuality, when you buy dinan mafs, you're only buying the housing, as the actual sensor is reused frm the stock meter. Just a bigger pipe (for $1195).) They do look insulated, but i think it's just some type of silicone tubing.
Mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. So the general thought is, although the larger MAF's will help with a little power and better intake noise, there not the same value as the CAI? I've always wondered why so many people just buy the Dinan intake, and don't couple it with the larger MAF's?

Travis

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Travis,

i think the reason most people do not purchase the larger AFMs is due to the lack of return on investment...you get very little for what you pay for. Most people are also to just get an exhaust and intake for their cars with some software..just to add slightly to the overall driving experience. Anyone who is crazy about powre just does the dinan s2pkg

·
10,455 Posts
I've considered it, but like was said, a fair chunk of cash, for maybe 4-5hp. I think headers are the most cost effective step, once you open up the outflow, maybe a littlr more intake airflow could help. Others have said the stock afm's are good for up to 500hp, from an air requirement standpoint.
Mike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

Mike:

Good point, I assume you figured you had already spent enough money on intake modifications for your car, with the Dinan CAI? How did you justify the CAI? I assume the eye candy aspect helped, they sure are great to look at! Also, any increase in intake noise with the CAI, or other enjoyable affects of the unit?

Travis

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
Anyone who is crazy about powre just does the dinan s2pkg
Uh, not EVERYBODY..... kinggf :wroom:
Regards,
Jerry

·
10,455 Posts
M5Kid said:
Thanks guys.
Mike:
How did you justify the CAI? I assume the eye candy aspect helped, they sure are great to look at! Also, any increase in intake noise with the CAI, or other enjoyable affects of the unit?

Travis
I used some wife logic... it was on sale. :hihi: I really do like the look, it adds some real nice intake noise, and i got 20% off getting it at the same time as the wheels (and the same time another member spend a load of cash). Oh, and i was trying to make one of my own, with those BMC CDA's and some ducting to the fog lamps, but kept getting ses lights for mafs.
Mike

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Hey Rob, in retrospect..........

What I find funny is me having several phone conversations with you about acquiring headers for my beast, tellinng you it was killing me to have to spend boo-koo bucks for Dinan headers and only to wind up getting the entire S2 package. Now thats funny!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts