BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the computer update and am considering the exhaust and/or the suspension. Anybody out there who's done it already, I'd love to hear your opinion.
Thanks,
Jim
2000 Titanium silver/sport black & silver

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, you mention the Stage II. Why not the Stage III?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark, did you get to test drive the difference between II and III. I've heard that the camber plates remove most of the understeer tendency. In 2 weeks I will be driving another M5 locally that has the Dinan exhaust, Stage III, and the strut bars. I'm sure I'll want to do it all, but choosing between the II and III will be the hardest choice.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had my Tri-Flo installed at a Dinan authorized place. I asked them to call Dinan to get a status on the cold air intake. They were told that it would be mid-late Nov. and that the chip would be updated with optimizations for the new intake.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Did not get the chance to drive with the camber plates. After driving on Road Atlanta for driving school, I definitely want a set. But, I would like adjustable plates to return the car to normal adjustment for everyday driving.
My car is an everyday driver so that was my concern for the non adjustable type that Dinan is offering.
Anyway, the jury is still out for me as to whether I'll get the Dinan. I may just say to heck with it and have them installed next time I'm in. We'll see.
Still waiting on the Cold Air Intake. That should make a major difference in response.
Mark

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know what the expected HP increase is supposed to be for the cold-air intake?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Phase III suspension from Dinan and it is fantastic. The car carves turns and makes me much more confident at high speeds.

As far as tire wear, I have not had the upgrade long enough to comment. However, the improvement to handling is worth the cost of the rubber.

------------------
-hank
05/00 Lamans Blue
Dinan Stage III Suspension
Dinan Exhaust

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the STAGE III and exhaust and front and rear strut braces......the car corner amazingly...... i dont even leave my seat (no understeer whatsoever) The DINAN people told me that the camber plates are only bad if you drive only on straight highways (like in a desert).... I live in NY and im always making turns (tires are fine). BTW, i love the new exhaust NOTE.......

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Dave, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you in a couple of weeks. I was at Habberstad last week and spoke with Tony. They all seem to know and speak highly of you and your cars, but turbo's on an 850?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ride is great, very little change in overall stiffness and comfort, but amazing control on the road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
JIM....... they always mess up....im having the 850s engine port and polished and massaged to 500hp (naturally aspirated) at KORMAN AUTOWORKS.....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, OK that sounds a little better. By the by, where's Korman?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hank or anyone else who has done the Stage 3 suspension upgrade, how much did the parts cost, and how much was installation? Did you get it installed at Dinan?

Originally posted by hank:
I have the Phase III suspension from Dinan and it is fantastic. The car carves turns and makes me much more confident at high speeds.

As far as tire wear, I have not had the upgrade long enough to comment. However, the improvement to handling is worth the cost of the rubber.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although I haven't done it yet, the prices from my Dinan-authorized dealer are:
1) Stage III= $1883 parts & $990 labor
2) Exhaust= $1998 parts & 270 labor
3) Front strut brace= $544 complete
4) Rear strut brace= $569 complete
If anyone else has different numbers, please post for comparison, listing your location.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am scheduled to go in Friday for the software upgrade, basically to remove the limiter, which I haven't hit yet, and up the revs.

------------------
Y2K Carbon Black

·
Registered
62 Posts
DrJim's numbers are almost identical to my experience. I did not get my upgrades installed by Dinan, I got them installed by SF BMW. I told them the prices listed on the Dinan web site and also the number of units of work required to install the components. They agreed with the estimates and used those numbers which worked out to be very close to DrJim's.

The suspension is fantastic!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts