BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently got the stroker and so far having driven it for about 800 miles, I can say this is how the car should have been to begin with. The power delivery is much more smooth and available across the board. I have yet to redline it due to break-in but previously, I had to get it up to 6000 RPM to unleash it and now it is acting uniformly more torquee even at 3 and 4000 RPM. Heck, its delivering power from the dig like I have never seen it do before but that could potentially be a trick in software (the engine keeps on revving at about 500, even while idling with needle vibrating a tiny bit). I will post pictures from track event in a couple weeks, can't promise video yet but hopefully we'll see. Oh and the exhaust note is very nice but as I let go of throttle, there is this sort of coughing of a smoker (more felt than audible, I think its the exhaust system choking without air as inpipes close).

·
Banned
194 Posts
If you were to do it again would you have gotten a blower instead ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Cangrats on taking the stroker leap!! I would like to, but it's a bit too pricey for me. It'll be interesting to see how the performance of the stroker compares to that of the the supercharged M5 once the ESS system is released. I wonder how long it will take for someone to put the supercharger on top of the stroker.......that's what I am waiting to see.:1:

Reactions: trol

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you were to do it again would you have gotten a blower instead ?
I lack first hand experience of first class turbos so I won't be able to clearly say what I would prefer although I like the hanging by the thread performance of na engines so far. Having said that, why choose between the two if one day I could get a turbo on the stroker :) The only thing is I am not an adventurer type and reliability matter to me so I won't be able to be a beta tester for such a product but if one were available on top of stroker, hell yeah.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cangrats on taking the stroker leap!! I would like to, but it's a bit too pricey for me. It'll be interesting to see how the performance of the stroker compares to that of the the supercharged M5 once the ESS system is released. I wonder how long it will take for someone to put the supercharger on top of the stroker.......that's what I am waiting to see.:1:
Absolutely.

By the way I looked at your sig and from what Dinan tells me, you shouldn't need the RPI scoops if you have Dinan intake. Is that not correct?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Absolutely.

By the way I looked at your sig and from what Dinan tells me, you shouldn't need the RPI scoops if you have Dinan intake. Is that not correct?

I'm not sure. Never really thought about it, but now that you mention it I have to do some investigation. I had the scoops before the Dinan intake. Never really gave any thought to taking the off.

·
Banned
194 Posts
I lack first hand experience of first class turbos so I won't be able to clearly say what I would prefer although I like the hanging by the thread performance of na engines so far. Having said that, why choose between the two if one day I could get a turbo on the stroker :) The only thing is I am not an adventurer type and reliability matter to me so I won't be able to be a beta tester for such a product but if one were available on top of stroker, hell yeah.
The question on my part that i was leaning towards was

With all the money that you paid for that stroker do you think power/cost wise it would have made more sense to get a supercharger?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I know how that feels, got mine last year and I am loving it. Congrat on your stroker!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Absolutely.

RPI did dyno with dinan intake with the scoop, and got more hp from it. So I have both on my Beast, like they say, more air more power.:M5rev:

·
Registered
932 Posts
For me "yes" but I could not wait for the ess supercharger.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Recently got the stroker and so far having driven it for about 800 miles, I can say this is how the car should have been to begin with. The power delivery is much more smooth and available across the board. I have yet to redline it due to break-in but previously, I had to get it up to 6000 RPM to unleash it and now it is acting uniformly more torquee even at 3 and 4000 RPM. Heck, its delivering power from the dig like I have never seen it do before but that could potentially be a trick in software (the engine keeps on revving at 1500, even while idling with needle vibrating a tiny bit). I will post pictures from track event in a couple weeks, can't promise video yet but hopefully we'll see. Oh and the exhaust note is very nice but as I let go of throttle, there is this sort of coughing of a smoker (more felt than audible, I think its the exhaust system choking without air as inpipes close).
Congratulations!

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
WOW, you got a stroekr as well?

:M5rev:

Congrats!

Recently got the stroker and so far having driven it for about 800 miles, I can say this is how the car should have been to begin with. The power delivery is much more smooth and available across the board. I have yet to redline it due to break-in but previously, I had to get it up to 6000 RPM to unleash it and now it is acting uniformly more torquee even at 3 and 4000 RPM. Heck, its delivering power from the dig like I have never seen it do before but that could potentially be a trick in software (the engine keeps on revving at 1500, even while idling with needle vibrating a tiny bit). I will post pictures from track event in a couple weeks, can't promise video yet but hopefully we'll see. Oh and the exhaust note is very nice but as I let go of throttle, there is this sort of coughing of a smoker (more felt than audible, I think its the exhaust system choking without air as inpipes close).

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WOW, you got a stroekr as well?

:M5rev:

Congrats!

Yes, I have been hinting at this here and there in a few posts. Got it yesterday, drove it all the way from Morgan Hill to Scottsdale and it was a blast.

·
Banned
194 Posts
how much and whats the power level now? if ess's price is ridicules (which i think it will be)im also going this route.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
how much and whats the power level now? if ess's price is ridicules (which i think it will be)im also going this route.
Well I was on vacation during the entire month of december so I missed out on the 10K in free parts promo, but I think I did very well price wise, when all is said and done, I spent about 52K which includes everything they offer except stage 3 suspension and wheels. So for instance this includes not just headers, exhaust, suspension, software, pulley etc. but also diff and replacement of all wear items and a few repairs (nav unit was not working etc.). I view this as having bought a 640 HP new car for about 90K (selling M5 and adding the 52K).

Reactions: gniruoT

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You probalby be faster than the new M5, normalyl aspitrated as well :D
Not for long though, I am sure in a year or so the cheap add-ons for new M5 will make it go to 700+ very easily.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts