BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have that mod bug going. There's not much left for me to add as far as bolt on's go. I am realing considering the Dinan 5.7. I was also thinking about the ASR setup which without a doubt is going to make the car run much faster. I am uncomfortable with adding NOS because one, I think it degrades the car and It wouldn't make me feel a true winner after I would smoke everything on the road. I am not saying anything bad about what ASR has done, I know for a fact that there setup hands down with turn my M5 into the fastest on the road. I also have feers of blowing the motor. Even set up correctly NOS can blow your motor on the first shot. I am leaning my decision toward to Dinan motor. I know I won't beat a M5 with nitrous, but I can feel a winner when a take down a car and know that I'm pushing pure HP. If a car with nos beats me I don't feel like a loser, I feel great knowing that without that NOS that guys pushing he has no chance against a V10 with raw power. I think if I get the motor and all its componets I will use my current exhaust set-up, and I hope I will be able to add my SS headers to the motor. Now that could turn out more power than Dinan says. I would even call AA and see if they could custom tune the 5.7 for even more power.

The motors very expensive. I do think it's worth the money. With that motor tuned properly with ss headers and some extra goddies it would own the streets. Making my M the ultimate beast!

After speaking with Dinan I was told none have been done on the east coast. I think he said he heard of Three in the whole country are on order. I can have it by march. Should I do it? I would really like some good advice

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
If the new 5.7L stroker has the same principle of E39 M5 S3, and I assume it is. Dinan make an engine not just for performance, but also comfort and stock feeling, if u know what I mean. I have a chance to ride in E39 M5 S3 at All German Auto and driven by Martin. It was a blast, not just in term of power, but comfort as well. The car feel like stock, smooth riding and luxury sedan, but when he punch her through weavy back road in Escondido, CA, the handling/power are amazing, they balance very well between power/comfort. Gustav and many others have ridden in that S3, and I'm sure everyone would agree to balance between power and comfort.

So, if money is no issue and you can justify to spend close to $50k, I would say go for it. People might argue that u can buy z06 if u want power, or amount of money spend on Dinan motor could get you a 997TT, 997GT3. But if you primary goal is super luxury power in SEDAN form, even with $50k extra, no one will even come close YET.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think It comes out to be less money because they give you a refund on your core. I think it's 15k or 20k

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Avry, you're a crazy man. My take is if you're willing to dump a bunch of cash, then NOS is the way to go. If you think it 'cheapens' the car, then I say get over it. It's a perfectly valid way to get (a lot of) extra ponies. I see it as a mod like any other: it simply enhances the existing capabilities of the car.

As for blowing the motor, I think you can still afford to get a new one (if I remember the ballpark cost of one) even if you go with ASR's top package and still have $$$ left over as compared to the cost of the stroker.

For me, I've already spent too much on power mods for relatively little gain. $50K? Hell no. FI'd car is next on my list.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I think It comes out to be less money because they give you a refund on your core. I think it's 15k or 20k
I think u better check the price, there is another thread regarding Dinan5.7L. $39,999 is not included Hi-Flow intake($2500) and for 628hp you also need TB($3000) and midsection($1500). The core refund of $20000 might not be account in $39,999.

NOS kit might be a cheaper way to go and u may have some spare change left to replace the motor, if it ever blow-up.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If the new 5.7L stroker has the same principle of E39 M5 S3, and I assume it is. Dinan make an engine not just for performance, but also comfort and stock feeling, if u know what I mean. I have a chance to ride in E39 M5 S3 at All German Auto and driven by Martin. It was a blast, not just in term of power, but comfort as well. The car feel like stock, smooth riding and luxury sedan, but when he punch her through weavy back road in Escondido, CA, the handling/power are amazing, they balance very well between power/comfort. Gustav and many others have ridden in that S3, and I'm sure everyone would agree to balance between power and comfort.

So, if money is no issue and you can justify to spend close to $50k, I would say go for it. People might argue that u can buy z06 if u want power, or amount of money spend on Dinan motor could get you a 997TT, 997GT3. But if you primary goal is super luxury power in SEDAN form, even with $50k extra, no one will even come close YET.

Stoker motor will give you power all day \ every day

Do your really feel like making sure your bottle is all warm, pressurized and full before you can extract all that power? Or after a few hard blasts in a row on a hot day that the piston rings did not fry? What about trunk space and disconnecting\reconnecting when you need to put some luggage in the back? Would you rather only have the power when you turn it on or would you rather not "F" with it and have power 100 times a day in necessary?

Either way you go post many vids!!
:applause:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Nope

Nice fantasy, though. It is sold on an exchange basis (like the 3.91 differential) and the $39,995 price is after the $20,000 refundable core deposit, plus add the 40 hours of labor and all of the other items that are required to be purchased and installed for it to get the listed hp and torque gains.

If it was only 15 or 20K, then I guarantee you a lot of people would be purchasing this mod (and it would actually probably cost less than the price of a new stock V-10, which, of course, wouldn't make any sense).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Without a doubt the ASR Kit is the way to go. They only thing that matters at the end is who crossed the finish line first. The rest doesn't matter. If you want to be stupid fast for the money ASR! Sure the 5.7 sounds good but for that type of $$ forget about it.

Some people are with that mentality that NOS is cheating. :nono: Not me, I'm the bring what you got. Especially when so many of them have been running with the "juice" for a while and no issues. The M5 is already fast so the nitrous is just insurance.

BTW the set-up the way ASR installs it. You don't have to worry about turning on heater,pressure, valve, etc... You just flip a switch and everything is on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
"but I can feel a winner when a take down a car and know that I'm pushing pure HP."

How many cars are you going to be taking down in the Bronx?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Get the Dinan motor. It's going to cost you north of $60K to purchase/install all the components, but it's definitely the way to go if you really want 600+ HP, and have the $'s to spend.

Take a look at the torque curve and that should convince you. You'll get tons of torque for 'everyday' driving, you'll have the hottest NA M5 in the world, and you will maintain the warranty with a very high quality motor. Not bad.

Sorry, but I'm one of those that doesn't think of NOS as a 'real' mod. It's like having temporary HP, you only get the benefit for a few minutes and can't experience it in everyday driving. Plus it's no good for the track.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
If money is no object, Dinan stroker for sure. You will be chasing that dark blue Ferrari 599 near those beach stretches on Long Island :D

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
How about the stroker with NOS? :7:
That's what I'm saying. If money was no object, might as well spend another $5K-$9K or whatever it costs for the ASR kit and add it on top of the stroker motor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My main concern is if I have the NOS I will use it all the time. Trust me I know myself I won't be able to control turning it on. I'm confused. You all have valid points. Its a hard decision. I'm just worried I will blow my motor for sure with the NOS. Once I blow that motror the car will never run the same again. I do like the idea of adding the NOS to the stroker. That would be a first.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Get the Dinan motor. It's going to cost you north of $60K to purchase/install all the components, but it's definitely the way to go if you really want 600+ HP, and have the $'s to spend.

Take a look at the torque curve and that should convince you. You'll get tons of torque for 'everyday' driving, you'll have the hottest NA M5 in the world, and you will maintain the warranty with a very high quality motor. Not bad.

Sorry, but I'm one of those that doesn't think of NOS as a 'real' mod. It's like having temporary HP, you only get the benefit for a few minutes and can't experience it in everyday driving. Plus it's no good for the track.
I agree with this guy: stroker!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If money is no object, Dinan stroker for sure. You will be chasing that dark blue Ferrari 599 near those beach stretches on Long Island :D
Agree.
With Dinan you have a car with power always "there" ,no junk in the boot,no warranty issues ,a total piece of mind.
A luxurious sedan with 599 performance for the price of a CLK63 B.S. and full Factory/Dinan backing.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
My main concern is if I have the NOS I will use it all the time. Trust me I know myself I won't be able to control turning it on. I'm confused. You all have valid points. Its a hard decision. I'm just worried I will blow my motor for sure with the NOS. Once I blow that motror the car will never run the same again. I do like the idea of adding the NOS to the stroker. That would be a first.

Avry, what in the heck are you doing man?! :7: I'd say go for the freakin' stroker! What the heck! The only thing I would ask is that you get bona fida numbers (0-60, rwhp, 1/4 mile times, etc.) to back up any claims.

I wonder if we could group buy a set of these and get a more attractive price. Any have the cahuna's to start a group buy project???

Cheers,

Darren

1 - 20 of 30 Posts