BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At $40,000 it seems like a better option to me than that of the S3 option. And I'm also looking into trading the m5 in on somthing new and remain undecided. So I'm wondering, if you got the smg trans to go with it, could you and would it all fit into the E39?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and a lot less $$$ to just get an E60 M5, and trade on the E39?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$90,000 E60 m5, Then $40,000 for the 5.7 liter Dinan v10. Equals $130,000.

Even if you got a used one at $60,000 you still total up to $100,000.

Minus a trade thats $80-110,000.

Figure $40,000 5.7 V10 $8,000 SMG stuff. And install. That equals less than $80,000.

So no it's not cheaper. But yes easier. And not as cool. And not 628 hp like the dinan engine has.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Putting that V10 in would probably make your car pretty darn fun. But the price of the SMG Transmission is $8,922.42 on RealOEM.COM. I wasn't able to find the price of the computer. I think that the price of you doing up your E 39 and the price of you doing up an E 60 wouldn't be as far off. I am just guessing that putting this engine in wouldn't be a plug and play setup. Maybe just a 10-15k difference. It probably would come down to which car you like the looks of more. I am not sure if it would fit. As I said though. That'd probably be one fun car :).

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting that V10 in would probably make your car pretty darn fun. But the price of the SMG Transmission is $8,922.42 on RealOEM.COM. I wasn't able to find the price of the computer. I think that the price of you doing up your E 39 and the price of you doing up an E 60 wouldn't be as far off. I am just guessing that putting this engine in wouldn't be a plug and play setup. Maybe just a 10-15k difference. It probably would come down to which car you like the looks of more. I am not sure if it would fit. As I said though. That'd probably be one fun car :).
What I actually favor is getting a 6 and dropping this in. But thats even more money. I always wanted the m6 to have a moon roof. I could leave a 645 badge on and nobody would know. Now that would rock. My BMW dealer is not interested in my business, so I'm playing around with alot of ideas right now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
last time i checked they had a stock v10 out of an new m5 on ebay for around $14,000. just tried to look for it but i guess it was removed.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
last time i checked they had a stock v10 out of an new m5 on ebay for around $14,000. just tried to look for it but i guess it was removed.
Stock V10 doesn't help though.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you figure?
Because the 5.7 V10 from dinan isn't an upgrade. Its a whole new engine you buy from them.

You dont give them one V10 and they upgrade it. You give them $40k and they give you the engine.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Because the 5.7 V10 from dinan isn't an upgrade. Its a whole new engine you buy from them.

You dont give them one V10 and they upgrade it. You give them $40k and they give you the engine.
To each his own, but with that motor in my car, I wouldn't need a modded one- 500 on tap works great for me.

Maybe an exhaust setup for sound, that's about it.

252 Posts
e39 chassi is undisputed in class for sports sedan, spend the money to refine the platform through motorsports, graced to you from bmw. i read on the board here that the marine e39 is a monument in that community, not to mention the ascari engine. free up the breathing, get all the plastic out of the bay that you can and start to refine is the rout i would choose

forget the the s85 swap into this series.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have no idea if a v10 could even be shoehorned into a e39 engine bay, but if it could I think the biggest problem would be computer work and matching of components. I remember trying to swap out my lt1 engine for an ls1 engine in my 96 camaro. engine would fit perfectly, auto tranny lined up, cooling system, etc. the computer would have to be completely swaped, but this lead to the instrument cluster being swaped (due to new lcd odometer), which lead to a whole dashboard change/center console/radio/HVAC/etc. too much of a pain in the ***!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The price includes a core charge, you have to have a V10 for the exchange

If you bought the motor outright it would cost more, plus the electronics are an issue it will NOT just bolt in an E39 M5. You would have to rewire the entire car plus make changes to just fit the engine in and mounting to a gear box also is a problem.

You are better off just doing the S3 package plus you will have more power than the stroker V10

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have no idea if a v10 could even be shoehorned into a e39 engine bay, but if it could I think the biggest problem would be computer work and matching of components. I remember trying to swap out my lt1 engine for an ls1 engine in my 96 camaro. engine would fit perfectly, auto tranny lined up, cooling system, etc. the computer would have to be completely swaped, but this lead to the instrument cluster being swaped (due to new lcd odometer), which lead to a whole dashboard change/center console/radio/HVAC/etc. too much of a pain in the ***!!
Thats the real question. will it fit.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
HorsepoerFreaks has a twin turbo coming out for the S62.I beleive around 700-800 hp.They are already turboing the E46 M3 with grat success.I know the S62 engine is all alum.,but just so you have more options to check out.Kit will 25K.

Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
156 Posts
thank you someone who knows boost is better than just getting a bigger engine! 5.0 is more than large enough. theres also the fact that 40k is the biggest rip i ever heard of. BOOOST!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Boost is not nesecarily the best way to go. You guys boosting these motors is very difficult to do with the engine electronics and also you have to be very careful not to add too much boost or the engine will come apart after 5000 miles of hard driving.

I will be very interested to see what comes in that turbo kit and what kind of software they will use, most of that stuff is junk and I would not put it on my beast if someone paid me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts