BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing the Dinan 3.91 I have heard up and down feedback about this mod, however, I think I will take the plunge and go for it. Now those with the differential, anyone also have a software upgrade from Dinan, ESS, etc... and the results with it. Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
haha... i have dinan 3.91 diff and dinan software !! i like them both !!

in the case of the diff i've said it many many times, i wont drive this car w/out it !! this car lacks low end beans so much that this is a must have modd !!

the software did'nt impress me at first but since has , now i dont know if its the pulley, diff, or the sec cat delete but my car is fast , when i lined up next to dino who has the same modds except ecu tune from aa which i had before , i was defenetly pulling noticeably harder on him !!

neill

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am considering installing the Dinan 3.91 I have heard up and down feedback about this mod, however, I think I will take the plunge and go for it. Now those with the differential, anyone also have a software upgrade from Dinan, ESS, etc... and the results with it. Any feedback would be appreciated
if you at all plan to track the car get the upgraded Evosport diff: http://www.evosport.com/product/proddetail.aspx?partnum=EVO.DRV.B60.391.002

All their diffs listed here:

http://www.evosport.com/product/default.aspx?catid=188

This one has better LSD rather than just a gearing change, so better grip especially on accelleration out of turns.

If not go with either the Dinan one or the Evosport gearing. Dinan had some issues in the past with diff blowing up, but I think that is resolved now and they have a good warranty so if it does happen they replace just down time is all. No known issues with Evosport though.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No intention to track the car, that is why I purchased the Porsche TT. I presumed that if I went with the Dinan route they would be best suited to have compatible software. I wonder if ESS go provide custom tuning for my exhaust, pulley, differential, etc...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
ESS will definitely account for the mods you have, it will also give you the benefit of the upshift in auto mode. Dinan's software hasnt addressed that yet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never drive the car in auto mode but that is a good point about ESS. Software is about the same in price, just presumed DINAN software would be more responsive since its with their own differential.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Well, I know BMW has been cracking down on ECU upgrades, mostly on 335 & 535, but that headache might also make you want to consider Dinan. Another thing to think about is that the ESS software has been getting rave reviews from those who have installed it. Response seems way more positive than Dinan's.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Go Evosport for the diff. Totally hands down.
I do not think the software has anything to do with it. Which ever can tune the car.
BMW has clamped down on the ECU's of the early to mid 08 M5/M6's where you can not crack into the software or maybe only into one bank.
Currently it is a dead end. It is not just the 335's or 535's.

Only my 2 cents, that's before Obama's tax rape.

M5Ranger

Oh BTW I will send you picks of the wheels (590R) in a few days if you are interested.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
No intention to track the car, that is why I purchased the Porsche TT. I presumed that if I went with the Dinan route they would be best suited to have compatible software. I wonder if ESS go provide custom tuning for my exhaust, pulley, differential, etc...
I have the Dinan diff, RPI scoops, Dinan exhaust and Evosport pulley. I got the ESS software last month and it has made a significant difference. I feel like I am getting better harmony and more benefit from the mods. The car is just screaming lately!

I stayed away from the Dinan software b/c of the mixed reviews. It is one thing to have some people like it and others not think it added anything (like the headers). But it is plain scary that many people felt it was actually detrimental.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here is a PM response that I had consent to post so here is one review.

InvictusM5 said:
Hey 550 Chris,
Just got back my M5 with the dinan software and am very happy with the results. My car shifts faster, pulls harder and the extra rev is extremely helpful. thanks for the info on this forum and if you want to post this review please do!! thanks again

Jake P.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You actually think the Porsche TT is a better track car??:hihi: So do I. Holy crap the Porsche is amazing on the track. Got to drive the 997 TT at Phoenix raceway road course along with Ferrari F430, Gallardo, Z06, Ford GT and a Lotus Elise.

The 997 TT was simply amazing compared to the rest. Sure the Ferrari was fun, but the 997 inspired confidence far greater then anything else out there.

Something you need to consider when think about software is what other mods you may add in the future. Software will not make any differance as far as the diff is concerned. However, if you get Dinan s/w you really need to stick with Dinan engine mods. Once you start mixing other brands with Dinan if you have an issue it turns into a finger pointing battle. Same with Evosport. If you get Evosport's software (written by Powerchip for Evosport) you are better off sticking with Evosport engine mods. ESS may work with other mods but if something does go wrong and you have a Dinan CAI with ESS software who will take responsibility to fix the issue?

If you are only getting a Diff then it does not matter which s/w you get since the functionality of the diff is not software dependant (ESS may have adjusted for WOT in D mode but who uses that.)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do not think the software has anything to do with it. Which ever can tune the car.
BMW has clamped down on the ECU's of the early to mid 08 M5/M6's where you can not crack into the software or maybe only into one bank.

Dude not sure who your sources are but the M5 is not an issue to tune even the 2008. Its these idiot wanna be tuners that just dont understand how to do it. SO just to calify so people dont gets mixed information the 08 cars can be done if you use the right source if you use the wrong source your going in blind folded. And to comment further all manufactures are cracking down on ECU upgrades from Audi, Porsche, Ferrari you name it so this is now new.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning to go with the ASR full exhaust system, ASR intake when released and possibly the RD Sport headers. Also will have the RPI pulley installed.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I am planning to go with the ASR full exhaust system, ASR intake when released and possibly the RD Sport headers. Also will have the RPI pulley installed.
then i would consult with ASR on what software they recommed. If you do get the headers you will need a s/w that address the CEL or SES light issue since you will be disabling the primary cats and O2 sensors. Dinan does not do this.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hey "dude" M5TekNYC, when did you get your 08 M5? When was your build date?
Now let me tell you, but actually I should not give a sh!t, you are very misinformed regarding this issue. What I have said is the truth and it comes from a solid source but you know what, believe what you want and that's the end of it.

M5Ranger

·
Registered
663 Posts

Dude not sure who your sources are but the M5 is not an issue to tune even the 2008. Its these idiot wanna be tuners that just dont understand how to do it. SO just to calify so people dont gets mixed information the 08 cars can be done if you use the right source if you use the wrong source your going in blind folded. And to comment further all manufactures are cracking down on ECU upgrades from Audi, Porsche, Ferrari you name it so this is now new.
I'm hoping the idiot tuner comment was not directed towards us, since everyone on this forums knows our company works on Juan's car?

By the way, Juan is correct. BMW has already locked banks on some 2008 M5 and M6 ECU's' we've had personal experience with this. It doesn't allow you to read the stock file on one bank, just as the new M3. We are the source and are clarifying that it is not misinformation. Although, we have not been able to figure out yet which production date this begins from. Once we have more info we will definitely notify the board members.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting back on track with the subject, I hear a lot of people are going back to the stock differential. Any reasoning why? Pros/cons for a street car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts