BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dinan has updated the Diff cover glad it all worked out for you. Hope you enjoy it out at MMP. Wish I could go out there this weekend but I got to many Honey Do's.. blah

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dinan has updated the Diff cover glad it all worked out for you. Hope you enjoy it out at MMP. Wish I could go out there this weekend but I got to many Honey Do's.. blah
Yeah, MMP will be the true test - last time I was there I felt like I was often caught between gears, I think now I'll be in a much better position to maximize my drive out of the corners.

I also added the Dinan Stage 2 suspension and strut tower braces, I think that should help the beast get along as well. Unfortunately, though they're here, I wasn't able to get the RAC/Yokos fitted in time, so it looks like I'll have one more day on the stock wheels with the Contis...

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Glad to hear it's working as expected for you, Apex. It's a shame that Dinan took this long to figure out the problem, and AFTER they released the product to the masses.

·
Registered
162 Posts
can you confirm if the dinan diff reduces 0-60, 0-100 times? even 1/4 mile time? or is it more for handling purposes?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The cover is not the problem...it is the product. Dinan just told me that if you have had 2 diffs with whining noises (like me) they will take a diff off their shelf, put it in their M5 to make sure it works fine and then ship it to you. This is what they are doing for me right now.

Yes, the cover does get hit a bit with the Dinan gear but it is NOT the cause of the Whining noise.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Amer,

The 0-60 times and 0-100 or 1/4 miles time improvements have not been validated. Someone posted accelerometer times which showed a neglible improvement (.1-.2 of a sec). Couple that with the price of the mod + installation + the fact that you'll need an ECU tune to correct a shift change issue in "D" mode (which I think Dinan should provide included in their mod price at the current price level), suddenly it becomes very unattractive for me.

The Dinan diff is a gear ratio change only, no clutch enhancements or locking improvements. It will not help you coming out of the corners better on the track, nor will it help your launch of the beast.

I know people that have this mod like it (and more power to you all), but for the price and no proven improvement in performance, it's not high up on the list for me.

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Amer,

The 0-60 times and 0-100 or 1/4 miles time improvements have not been validated. Someone posted accelerometer times which showed a neglible improvement (.1-.2 of a sec). Couple that with the price of the mod + installation + the fact that you'll need an ECU tune to correct a shift change issue in "D" mode (which I think Dinan should provide included in their mod price at the current price level), suddenly it becomes very unattractive for me.

The Dinan diff is a gear ratio change only, no clutch enhancements or locking improvements. It will not help you coming out of the corners better on the track, nor will it help your launch of the beast.

I know people that have this mod like it (and more power to you all), but for the price and no proven improvement in performance, it's not high up on the list for me.

Cheers,

Darren

Not quite true.....

• We see stock M5 / M6 trap at 113-114 mph
  • We see super modded M6s like Keith Ta's at 119 / 120 mph
  • I have run consistent 116 mph with the Dinan 3.91 and SS Exhaust only (exhaust doesn't do anything)
Just a reminder E/T fluctuate quite a bit from track to track / day to day.....the trap speed is pretty constant at a given altitude.

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=112&op1=>=&data1=&search2=et&op2=<=&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=5&name=Search+DragTimes

http://www.dragtimes.com/results.php?carmodel=111&op1=>=&data1=2004&search2=et&op2=<=&data2=&days=10000000&carmake=5&name=Search+DragTimes

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
TBone,

I don't believe the Dinan gearing is helping much in the 1/4 miles times. I believe (I'll try to find the post(s)) there are other people with 115+ mph trap speeds stock as well.

We all know KeithTA's car is highly modded (cams, headers, ecu, etc. etc.) in addition to the 3.91 gearing.

I believe you're probably fairly adept at launching the beast and your 116 mph trap speed is due to your comfort level with the car.

Again, just my observation. I still believe for the true "fully loaded" cost of the mod it's not the best bang for buck.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
TBone,

I don't believe the Dinan gearing is helping much in the 1/4 miles times. I believe (I'll try to find the post(s)) there are other people with 115+ mph trap speeds stock as well.

We all know KeithTA's car is highly modded (cams, headers, ecu, etc. etc.) in addition to the 3.91 gearing.

I believe you're probably fairly adept at launching the beast and your 116 mph trap speed is due to your comfort level with the car.

Again, just my observation. I still believe for the true "fully loaded" cost of the mod it's not the best bang for buck.

Regards,

Darren
It would be great to see a vid of bone stock vs. Dinan 3.91.

But the boneheads who get the Dinan 3.91 also do other things too :7:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Irregardless of that the 3.91 gearing puts down 8% more torque! That is a done deal and is a huge, huge pick up in performance. My car feels way quicker now.:applause:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Irregardless of that the 3.91 gearing puts down 8% more torque! That is a done deal and is a huge, huge pick up in performance. My car feels way quicker now.:applause:

I agree completely with you even though you have a crappy camera.

I went out with a service advisor who had a stock M6 and I was walking him on the highway......but others need some convincing.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

I went out with a service advisor who had a stock M6 and I was walking him on the highway......but others need some convincing.:thumbsup:
Crappy camera huh:haha2: ... are you upset because the Ducks beat the living crap out of the Senators? :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Crappy camera huh:haha2: ... are you upset because the Ducks beat the living crap out of the Senators? :biggrinbounce:
No man, I am from Toronto, we hate Ottawa.

Stick to the issues.

Dinan 3.91 = Joy
Deknight = Crappy Camera :viking:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Dude you are a crack up. Too funny my man.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i love my 3.91 aside from all the headaches ( 2 diff's waiting for a 3rd) i just could'nt see myself driving this car without it !!

and as deknight said its all about 8% torque , its quite noticeable !!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

A 3.91 M5 against a stock M6 on the highway is a great evaluation for the mod IMO. Can you give us some more details, or even better, can you video a run with your friendly SA again??

I came up with the numbers referred to above based on quite a few calibrated Gtech runs that showed a significant improvement in performance. Darren, I'm not sure you think that .24 sec better quarter mile times and almost 3 mph increase in trapspeed isn't significant, but I figure it would take about 30 HP to get that type of improvement.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

Tbone,

Isn't that the truth?! I would really like to see a video of the two together. As a point of reference, here is a link to the list of M5 1/4 mile times posted on dragtimes.com

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--M5-Drag-Racing.html

You'll notice listings #4, #5, and #6 are good references for bone stock M5 times. Each one posted between 115.8 mph and 116.5 mph. There are additional listings as well highlighting similar speeds (#12, #17 for example). In addition, I believe forum member dannamichael ran the quarter in 115.9 mph and I believe the car is bone stock as well.

Seriously folks, I'm skeptical of the benefit of the mod. I know everyone's butt-dyno "feels" the difference, but the numbers aren't really backing it up in application.

If someone has some conclusive numbers it would be helpful for me an others looking for good performance validation.

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Tbone,

Isn't that the truth?! I would really like to see a video of the two together. As a point of reference, here is a link to the list of M5 1/4 mile times posted on dragtimes.com

http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW--M5-Drag-Racing.html

You'll notice listings #4, #5, and #6 are good references for bone stock M5 times. Each one posted between 115.8 mph and 116.5 mph. There are additional listings as well highlighting similar speeds (#12, #17 for example). In addition, I believe forum member dannamichael ran the quarter in 115.9 mph and I believe the car is bone stock as well.

Seriously folks, I'm skeptical of the benefit of the mod. I know everyone's butt-dyno "feels" the difference, but the numbers aren't really backing it up in application.

If someone has some conclusive numbers it would be helpful for me an others looking for good performance validation.

Cheers,

Darren

I can say conclusively, I walked a stock M6 on the highway. So it wasn't the butt dyno but no vid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts