BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so its sunday morn at 4:45 am and i just got home from a wonderful exciting nite with the beast.

way back when i got the dinan rear diff i had'nt noticed the slight whine comin frm the rear until other members started talking about it,and i always said its no biggy i listen to the music quite loud anyways so i hardly even here it.lately its not only louder its been grinding\vibrating on deceleration(donno if thats a word)so 2 weeks ago i call dinan and i explain my situation to a very nice helpful guy,he says i will call your dealer and send you one out right away,im like no worries im in no rush the cars in the garage been for couple weeks and will be for a couple more,he then says no i get one out right away that does'nt sound good..ok

get the call on this past thurs its in,fine lets schedule for next week. today i wake up and its a beutiful day 60 degrees and sunny, today happens to be the 5th week that my car is sitting pretty in the garage so i start it up and im off..everything is fine all day..

come home take a shower go out again at about 10:30pm im hearing some weird noises coming from the rear of the car, it really seems like the whine from the dinan rear is getting much louder so i call member deelaw and tell him to meet me (as he was on my side of town) so i pick him and his bro up we go for a drive as were headed down a side street all of a sudden we here boom clanck thump dunk im like oh **** wtf... the dinan rear diff imploded.. :eek: this happened at precisely 12:40am

so i hit the button explain to roadside asst that i #1 def need a flat bed #2 need them to bring wood if you've ever towed a low car before you know that you need to put some wood blocks under the front wheels so the bottom of the bumper doesnt smash into the bed when he's pulling it with the winch #3 i want the car taken to my dealer

thanks alot to deelaw and his bro for waiting with me for about an hour for the tow truck, the guy gets there and were trying to get the beast on to the truck but its gonna screw up the front spoiler the guy try's everything and then tells me he doesnt want to be responsible for screwing up my 100k car..he tells me to call roadside asst
and have them send me out a special flat bed..within two min's he's gone so i call back there tellin me there's noone with that special equip at this hour giving me stories telling me to leave my car on the side of the road till mon morn,im like here's my situation 100k car 20-25k worth of aftermarket, i wont even keep the car out in my driveway overnite so thats not an option !! she tells us she'll call us back 20 mins later we get a call back from a very helpful aaa guy who after 3hrs locates me a special flat bed that can basically bend in half and do the job i tell dee and his bro to go home and i'll tough it out for another hour..thanks again for waitin and keepin me company :cheers:

finally tow truck arrives within 5 mins car up on the bed everythings cool :biggrinbounce: i tell the guy i'll follow you to the dealer he's like no cars going to my lot all cars towed have to be taken to my lot for the weekend..f--k that i say the roadside lady told me its no problem to go to the dealer as long as its within 50 miles which it defenetly is now me and this guy are arguing :mad: im like dropp my car get it off this truck !! he calls the aaa dispatcher and i hear him saying i gott out of bed for this and now were not gonna get any storage fees or anything like that :confused3 ,dude how much are you're storage fees i say hes like $40.00 beans a day im like you know what :lightbulb: i'll give you a $100 bucks take it to the dealer so after 10 mins of going back and forth he agrees..

oh man ouich , im sorry guys but i needed to vent a little i just took it out on my keyboard..now 5:00am sunday morn.

theres a little more to the story :cool2: which i'll share most likely on mon when i get my car back,at least im hoping so it should'nt be a big deal as they have a diff in stock for me drop out old one throw in new one in\out less than a day.hopefully

NEIL...

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Neil, that sucks big time, what an arsehole the guy was, but at least you got it towed....Well here you go lets see if the dealer gives you shift and Dinon also....You are the best test mule for the rear end...good luck keep us posted...greg

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Dam*n Neil, sorry to hear of your ordeal. Hope all works out.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Ouch. At least you remembered the golden rule -- He with the gold rules! I hope it all works out -- and works out in time for Sundays meet. Keep us informed.

Maybe you can convince them to do the pully install in exchange for our frustrations?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
WOW!! It takes all kinds doesn't it!!??

Glad everything worked out in the end!! What great members we have to hang with you and make sure everything worked out.

Robert cherrsagai

·
Registered
522 Posts
That sucks man. Sorry to hear about that.

If it turns out to be the diff, make sure that someone reimburses you for the tow and 'storage' fee. I hope everything gets fized this week, and you'll be rolling again by the weekend.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear LI-M5. If it is the diff hopefully this isn't a sign of
things to come for the rest of us. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That definitely sucks man. If I were Dinan, I'd be worried because I'm sure many are interested in the diff, but this certainly makes us think twice. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bmwbonehead said:
Sure it was the diff? The way you drive, it coulda been anything:3:
just woke up,thanks for all the kind wishes !!

oh im sure it the diff !! after its fixed i'll give you guys more details of my reasoning..

another thing i was thinking was that through all this i never got any cog's or faults !!

·
Registered
566 Posts
damn - so sorry man. That sucks. Parts break (not to imply that it is ok about the diff failing), but to have the nigh(mare) you had with service providers really makes a bad situation worse. Very sorry for you. Arghh

·
Registered
311 Posts
That sux.
Good Luck with the install.
Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That sucks, especially in the middle of the night with uncooperative SOS/Flatbeds/Flatbed drivers. Good for you standing your ground with all the above mentioned people!

Good luck. I hope the trouble is isolated to the diff only. Otherwise, this will really test Dinan's supplemental warranty if it involves other parts of your drivetrain.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Well, that really sucks - sorry you had to go through that. Make sure they tell you EXACTLY what went wrong with the diff. We should really hear from Dinan on this Board what the problem was, since so many of us have the diff, and Dinan is a quality shop.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow Neil, that really sucks. Sorry to hear of your troubles. BTW, did you follow the recomended break-in on the diff?:3:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update: went to the dealer this morning,told them what happened they're gonna try to get it in this afternoon if its not too late they'll switch out the diff if not then 1st thing in the morn.i'll keep everyone posted

1 - 20 of 97 Posts