BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who love the E60 M5 / S85 platform and plan on keeping the car for a while (well could depend on cost of fuel). Getting an extended warranty from whatever from whatever company makes sense to cover future repairs.
The dilemma is what if we get the forced induction modification, ie. SC'er (ex. ESS)?
It would appear logical that this would void the warranty if any other issue go wrong with the car. Just like I underwent with my M5 recently with all kinds of warning lights and needing an alternator and a couple modules ... parts and labor later cost was $3,000.
So what does one decide?
Take a chance and enjoy the ride and pay later?

Ranger

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I'm buying my BMW extended warranty in two weeks. I'm just going as far as headers and developed a close relationship with my local BMW tech at the dealer. For another 55,000 Miles not going to worry about a thing, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm also buying an extended 3rd party warranty (my factory warranty runs out in 6 months) and I'm also only going as far as headers. SC would be nice but I would have the same concerns you noted in your post. Car's already producing pretty good power -- not sure at this point whether I want to widen my smile a little bit more but risk getting reamed later.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I say keep the E60 M5 an E60 M5. This car will always be remembered for what it was! Don't mess around with it's engine!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I honestly cant see the F10 being a better car, its not as raw as the V10 wont "feel" as great or be as well known for what the NA M cars were all about. At the end of the day if I was to strap a couple of turbos to the side of the V10 I can guarantee it will go harder than the F10 V8 TT but the sound and fun cant be beaten and I have owned a lot of stupid quick cars. I found what I wanted for a long time in the M5. I had 900Hp+ Skyline GTR's, E46 M3's, Porsches and nothing has as much raw fun as the E60 M5, well atleast not as much as mine. Stock my car is not!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I think an important factor is what type of warranty ESS - or any company offering an FI solution for the S85 - will have for their kit.

Reactions: KILLZBUGZ

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think an important factor is what type of warranty ESS - or any company offering an FI solution for the S85 - will have for their kit.
Well I feel it's more than warranty that may be offered on the FI mod.
My thoughts are addressing other issues such say for example vanos, SMG or other components go bad.
I would believe that the 3rd party warranty company will balk and refuse to cover because of the FI mod.

Ranger

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the ultimate component that makes the M5 an M5 is its engine. I also believe that ultimate attributes that make the E60 M5 engine an E60 M5 engine are the V10 and NA.

Having said that, if we lived in a perfect world and had the itch for more ponies, I would consider FI'ing the V10 but then the motor internals would most likely melt on me.

If you are worried about cost of fuel now then I would say you may need to hold off on any major mods.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ranger, I've been pondering same questions. I'm less concerned about the warranty aspect as it's always a risk to force induct our M cars. I'm struggling more about whether it makes sense to force induct the current platform or wait until the new force inducted M is released. Will be a long wait. :)

I've supercharged a couple of my M3's and while I enjoyed them I always felt a little guilty about compromising some of the genius that went into our naturally aspirated motors. So that raises the other question on whether it's better to go with one of the crate motor upgrades rather than FI?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Ranger, I've been pondering same questions. I'm less concerned about the warranty aspect as it's always a risk to force induct our M cars. I'm struggling more about whether it makes sense to force induct the current platform or wait until the new force inducted M is released. Will be a long wait. :)

I've supercharged a couple of my M3's and while I enjoyed them I always felt a little guilty about compromising some of the genius that went into our naturally aspirated motors. So that raises the other question on whether it's better to go with one of the crate motor upgrades rather than FI?

Stroker, just do the stroker and you´ll make the best supersaloon in the world, even better.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Stroker, just do the stroker and you´ll make the best supersaloon in the world, even better.
I completely agree. Clearly, everyone in the E60 section loves the NA V10 in the M5. Putting a Dinan stroker (or one from another company) just gives you even more of the same!

I know if I owned an E60 and had the money to do some serious modding, the Dinan stroker would be at the top of my mod list.

afc1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts