BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

Went back to Cumbria recently to see my little girl, had to leave my mother in the car for 15 minutes, so thought 'Aha, time to impress!' TV on, but wouldn't tune in to anything at all. Rolling my eyes and assuming this was just something else to add to the list, I thought nothing more of it until I realised it's because that part of the country is the first to have analogue switched off. Which got me thinking.

A digital tuner could give me the freeview channels, which means much more choice, and means I don't need to worry about the analogue switchoff. Has anyone bought one of these off here at all? I've emailed them and had no response, but then I rarely seem to get replies to queries...

Digital TV | BMW Tuner Upgrade | Freeview Conversion

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As RichardP has posted on another thread, the standard analogue box has both reversing camera and an AV input, would be keen to find a digital tuner with the same capability.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, would prefer the OEM unit, good to know that one's plug and play. I think that German retailer's going to retire on the strength of my purchases, wonder if he does Mk4 nav units...

·
Registered
597 Posts
That's an interesting link Bob. I have been searching for digital tv solution for a while now. I am not gonna pay 600 quid for a duel tuner so I would like to know more about this one. I will fire of an email and see if I get any luck.

I have had a genuine BMW reversing camera sitting here for best part of a year - I really must get around to fitting it. They are a great piece of kit for £200.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Afternoon all,

Went back to Cumbria recently to see my little girl, had to leave my mother in the car for 15 minutes, so thought 'Aha, time to impress!' TV on, but wouldn't tune in to anything at all. Rolling my eyes and assuming this was just something else to add to the list, I thought nothing more of it until I realised it's because that part of the country is the first to have analogue switched off. Which got me thinking.

A digital tuner could give me the freeview channels, which means much more choice, and means I don't need to worry about the analogue switchoff. Has anyone bought one of these off here at all? I've emailed them and had no response, but then I rarely seem to get replies to queries...

Digital TV | BMW Tuner Upgrade | Freeview Conversion
Think id be interested in one of these and a TV in motion if they work OEM style and quality is good!

Mind you id not be expecting to be using it at the tested speeds lol :eek7:

Might be tempted to sell the MK4 unit and get this and a Reverse cam :confused3

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
1,939 Posts
Russ, if you need a hand fitting it then let me know. I've got to fit mine to my new car as well. It's a PITA to get the cable through the ducts, but well worth it...

YG

·
Registered
431 Posts
facing the same situation soon here too, TV-IN-MOTION much cheaper, how's it work?
all M5's had 4:3 analog TV fitted standard in OZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys'

can you PM me your emails (or dates they sent) that never got replied to!

Keen to sort out this recurring issue grrrrrrr Will be on a new server soon... I know with a few AUS/US ISP's we currently can't reply due to our web IP and others are just never arriving (Hotmail seems to be very temperamental)... Until the new site is up on new hosting there is a dedicated Contact number and Live support Chat on the site.

Sorry!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Would kill for a reverse camera... its high on my list but so hard to stomach the cost here in the US.

·
Registered
89 Posts
reverse cams not that bad i got mine brand new for $245.00 u.s. shipped to my door off ebay from a guy in german. it's all the extras that are hard to stomach.

has anyone had success with the hybrid digital/analogue oem bmw tv tuner here in north america? or are all generations of the hybrid tuner only compatible with the digital broadcasts that are over seas? as i'm looking to replace my analogue oem tv tuner when they turn analogue tv off here in canada.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The guy doing those kits is also a member on www.bmw5.co.uk and there is a very good write up under the audio section.

I've already put an oem hybrid tuner in my car but if I hadn't then I would be going for this, more so now as you can use it with an oem arieal.

Also that kit gives you digital radio and stereo sound rather than the mono found on the oem tuners.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Me likey this !!

Who wants to request a GB price from them ?

Richard : Will I be disappointed with this ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
i contacted tv in motion their tv tuner is only for europe right now. if they make a tuner for north america they wont start r&d till christmas time i was told. so i guess im where of luck for a digital tv tuner for now here in canada. ohh well on to finding an alpine dvd changer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
n0thingface If your getting an Alpine DVD Changer please get this Alpine*-*CD & DVD Changers*-*DHA-S690

It is compatible with the Digital module and with a simple Remote lead will be controllable through the BMW system too :D

Too bad the digital boxes dont work in the US
Cheers for offering the use of your tuner but do not fear, after summer it should be well in hand!

Oh and if you want to move ahead of the CD changer.... this can be controlled too :)

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/product-singleview/bluetooth-usb/kce-635ub.html

1 - 20 of 36 Posts