BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That looks like the radio aerial connector (fakra) which is much bigger than the SMB connectors that the TV aerial uses which looks like this:-

In theory it would work
That looks like the radio aerial connector (fakra) which is much bigger than the SMB connectors that the TV aerial uses which looks like this:-

Thanks for your help. So there's a separate TV antenna? I was wondering if I could just plug that wire into the TV box, but you don't think that would work?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So there's a separate TV antenna? I was wondering if I could just plug that wire into the TV box, but you don't think that would work?
The tv module has 2 antenna connections (it’s a loop)

I would’t be plugging in a wire that you don’t know what it’s for/where/what the other end is plugged into.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The tv module has 2 antenna connections (it’s a loop)

I would’t be plugging in a wire that you don’t know what it’s for/where/what the other end is plugged into.
Agree that's sensible. I've seen some pictures in the wild of the two antenna connection loop you describe, but for the life of me, I can't find any documentation on the internet of where that part / wire comes from or what it connects to or really any reference to it at all. I've also peered into the rear bundle of comms wires in my US model (which did not come with TV unit), and see free connections for GSM and DCT, but nothing that looks like the loop connectors.

Has anyone seen documentation or retrofitted their US M5 with the TV box and managed to connect the box to the vehicle antennas or solve this another way?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Rosie,

Do you know what part number this is??
Its an 18pin adapter correct?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just found that image on ebay

Something like this??

So that’s an adapter cable that has ready made RCA’s to allow input/outputs for AV and outputs for audio from the VM (video module - TV module)
You don’t actually need this (but it does make it simple) - you can wire in directly into the VM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, yes, I already known that. I just need the part marked in red circle for another application in my earlier post.
Thought you might be able to help me finding that part.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have that harness. Not sure your application, but any video input will require a separate video module/tv module/image converter. It's supposed to go into the TV module, but as I don't have one, I originally had it connected between the radio and navigation, when first attempting a backup camera install. Didn't work, without an image converter. Went with a SoundGate video module which worked for a backup camera.

Perhaps, the audio may work to supplement video. Will check, after receipt of a wifi Android Auto module I purchased, I'm gonna attempt to add to Source 2 video on the SoundGate. I also have the SoundGate SDS1 audio, so gonna check both. Both modules were like $20, doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks man, but i got my application questions sorted out with Rosie..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts