·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi,

Do ensure you ask/get/buy the ATSC version as both your flags indicate you're in the USA. Don't buy the DVB-T version as they won't work in the US

These are cheap Digital TV boards that aren't so good in terms of quality and specifications i.e generic level quality and come out of cheap electronics factories in China (most likely)

As ever, reception and picture display quality will depend on the signal wherever the car is and with these generic level quality boards, it's when the car is stationary in a strong signal area they'll do the best they can. When the car is on the move, they'll lack the on board processing that detects the reception of a signal from multiple broadcast antennas and able to 'switch' to a stronger signal fast enough when the car is in motion, it's also possible the actual electronics aren't automotive grade and moreover meant for static applications ( A TV at home/caravan/leisure equipment).

Also, these are 'add on' boards to your older analogue TV tuners, so check the OEM buttons can be used to change channel as the advert says it can but also says 'optional remote control'. Reason I mention this is over here in the UK and Europe, the OEM Hybrid Analogue/Digital TV tuner simply swaps over with the analogue one and full control is via the OEM buttons. These cheapy 'add on' boards piggyback onto the analogue tuner internal electronics and maybe only controllable by the remote only (I may be wrong of course) so confirm with the seller on this.

If you (or anyone else !) goes for it, perhaps update here when initially installed and then over the next few months to 6/12+ months to see if it is/was a good project.. or not !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

Reason I mention this is over here in the UK and Europe, the OEM Hybrid Analogue/Digital TV tuner simply swaps over with the analogue one and full control is via the OEM buttons.

Cheers, Dennis!
Hi Dennis,
Could you tell me where and how i can find these digitaltuners??

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
Found here an Europe based module, unfortunately we can receive only 3 public channels in the free ether. The other ones are decoded and I need digital module where I can insert a smart-card for decoding.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi,

Kaputme - The OEM Hybrid Analogue/Digital tuners are found in later E46's and E53 X5's, so check forum listings, Ebay and other classifieds selling sites for listings of such. 4/5 years ago, in the UK they'd change hands for £400/500 ! nowdays you'll see them for £150/200. These simply swap with the old analogue modules. If you are in one of the European countries, you'll need to check part numbers in case there's versions that pick up some of the different Digital TV broadcast systems.

Marcel RSD - The company at MCA do list some nice products as well as the repair services they offer! this place is only one of two I've ever seen who can/will try to repair the OEM DSP amplifier in E39's! the other being in Australia !

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't already have a TV installed, you'd need to get a wiring harness right? I can't really figure out how it's laid out, but I think it's a wire that basically interrupts the cable from the Nav to the TV monitor with the TV and then also somehow plugs into the iBus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Found here an Europe based module, unfortunately we can receive only 3 public channels in the free ether. The other ones are decoded and I need digital module where I can insert a smart-card for decoding.

Wow 400€... no thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you don't already have a TV installed, you'd need to get a wiring harness right? I can't really figure out how it's laid out, but I think it's a wire that basically interrupts the cable from the Nav to the TV monitor with the TV and then also somehow plugs into the iBus.
I already have the analog TV with a rca video input..

Just need to find the correct device to send video output

·
Registered
936 Posts

Have a search around on various BMW forums as it's been mentioned a good number of times, but the RCA video input to the OEM setup is for the reverse camera function and as such, has less viewable lines/resolution and the audio feed in, is mono only. It's still useable though, you just won't get as good a picture compared to going the proper routes.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Kufatec make an adapter loom - KUFATEC

It wires the Video Module in series with the Nav.

Anything that outputs a PAL or NTSC signal will work.

Have a search around on various BMW forums as it's been mentioned a good number of times, but the RCA video input to the OEM setup is for the reverse camera function and as such, has less viewable lines/resolution and the audio feed in, is mono only. It's still useable though, you just won't get as good a picture compared to going the proper routes.

Cheers, Dennis!
This is not true.
There are 2 video inputs - reverse camera and AV.

Here’s my car going from AV input (Alpine DVD with Stereo through Intravee) to Digital TV (OEM Hybrid Tuner) to Reverse Cam (Ebay generic):-

·
Registered
936 Posts
This is not true.
Here’s my car going from AV input (Alpine DVD with Stereo through Intravee) to Digital TV (OEM Hybrid Tuner) to Reverse Cam (Ebay generic):-
Hi Rose,

Thanks! my knowledge is updated !

So for the 'AV' input, is the 'only' way to connect a source the same as what you mention here? i.e the Source connected to an Intravee? or can the Video output (and sound) RCA's be connected directly in?

The 'Reverse Camera' input, this is the lower resolution and mono sound only route, correct? (once connected that is and there's various DIY writeups on how to do the connections)

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Dinesh,

So for the 'AV' input, is the 'only' way to connect a source the same as what you mention here? i.e the Source connected to an Intravee? or can the Video output (and sound) RCA's be connected directly in?
There are “many” ways to connect a source.
The Video Module natively supports an Audio Visual (aka AV) input - however, the audio is mono (as is television).
Please refer to my previous post for the direct inputs and outputs of the Video Module.

The 'Reverse Camera' input, this is the lower resolution and mono sound only route, correct? (once connected that is and there's various DIY writeups on how to do the connections)
The Reverse Camera input is video only - no audio. The resolution (and of the entire system) is limited by the LCD screen which is 400x234.

HTH,
Rosie.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Cheers, Dennis!
Hi Dennis,
I just want reasonably good quality to watch something when I'm waiting for my wife or when sitting in a completely stopped traffic due to a closed down Autobahn.

@Rosie : thanks for the inputs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Kufatec make an adapter loom - KUFATEC

It wires the Video Module in series with the Nav.

Anything that outputs a PAL or NTSC signal will work.

This is not true.

So I'm in the USA and don't have any television equipment in there yet. So if I buy the wiring you suggest and the TV module, I should be able to get the functionality basically plug and play, correct?

Do you know whether there are any different versions of that cable you suggest for MKIV MKIII etc, or if it's always been the same?

·
Registered
127 Posts
So I'm in the USA and don't have any television equipment in there yet. So if I buy the wiring you suggest and the TV module, I should be able to get the functionality basically plug and play, correct?

Do you know whether there are any different versions of that cable you suggest for MKIV MKIII etc, or if it's always been the same?
The wiring is the same for MKII, MKIII and MKIV and is plug and play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts