BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching here, didn't find too much fresh E60 info, so I thought I'd post. Just noticed a light off throttle whine (goes away when light gas is applied) though gears 3/4/5 between 30+ to 40+ mph.

The car is a brand new, stock, 2008 and has about 380 abuse free miles on it and is being broken in per specs.

Obviously, it has not had it's 1200 mile service yet, but I'm wondering if this is "normal" or does my brand new car need a brand new differential :sad1:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
MD, I'm not quite sure this is normal. However, just to be on the safe side have it checked out by your dealer.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I suspect that this is from break in and will go away when they change the diff fluid at 1200. Nonehteless, if you dealership is easily accesible to you, I would call ahead and stop in and let them take a listen. Like chicken soup for a cold, it may not help, but it won't hurt.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's still there now at 500 miles...it's quite faint, coming from the rear while off the gas and decelerating from 50 mph and going away at 40 mph, regardless of gear selection.

I'm supposed to get it detailed tomorrow, maybe I'll stop by the dealership and at least talk to someone and schedule my 1200 mile service...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It only does it when the transmission is engaged, not in neutral.
If it was the tires, it would make the noise regardless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts