BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

differential noise on slow turns

4K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Corinthian 
#1 ·
there was a previous thread about the rubbing grinding noise from the diff but i can't find it now. anyway, i had the car serviced yesterday and there is a service bulleting regarding this noise. the dealer actually gave me the bulletin. see link below.

http://www.bmwtis.net/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/b330102g.htm

the noise is gone. not sure if anyone else has seen this so i thought everyone could benefit from it.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks Ashok for the old link. I just had this done on mine this week too. Noise started at about 17k miles, but it also corresponded to temperatures dropping into the 30s here at night, and it only did it cold in the morning. Well, this morning the noise is still there just like before, but it went away a lot faster. Most people supposedly got this noise within the first few thousand miles, but sounds like more and more people are coming up with it in the 15-25k range, which has been attributed to BMW's "lifetime" differential fluid not quite being good for longer than any other diff fluid.

Reactions: Ashok Arora
#9 ·
For those of you who have experienced this is it a grinding noise that you feel though the gas pedal?

When my car is cold and I make a sharp left turn I get a grinding noise that I feel coming through the floorboard and through the pedal. I am going to take it in and tell them to do the diff fluid change and inspect the front suspension but I wonder if that is the cause.

I did a search and the only other fix I saw was re-lubricating the the joint between the steering rack and column??????

#10 ·
Had the same problem about a month ago and they replaced the diff fluid with something more viscous. Sound is gone.
Of note...I discussed the issue with the technician. He says the problem is harmless, and will not damage the differential. More of a nuisance to the owner/driver.

#12 ·
Dad's Taxieeeeee, oh, congradulations....a Newbee, welcome....yes this is a very old and beaten up post almost as much as the oil post....glad you had a good experience with repairing the problem, even though you didn't use the search method ...AT ALL.......you were able to slip in this tid bit....see if you can find some extra time on your hands and practice the search method, or not !!! Thanks for such a helpful post !!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
unfoundhorsepower, thanks for being completely unhelpful and condescending. i guess when you are an "expert" you feel you have the right to be an ***.

btw, if you actually read the first post i wrote it says i did in fact get the info from the board using the search feature.

don't bother responding. i refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.