BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-

A few pics. Please let me know what you think. The first three are from around the rear diff. I am guessing it is a diff leak. There is both wet (but not dripping wet) and dry residue on the diff. Near as I can tell no strong smell, (but I've got a cold.)

Not sure what's going on with the front. This is a thick, tar-like or dried oil coating just on the left (driver) side plastic panel.

Last pic is the LR suspenion arm- not sure if this is from the front, diff, or road...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

·
10,458 Posts
Adam, it looks like a seeping output shaft seal from the diff. Not uncommon. I'm having a hard time seeing what's you're pointing out in some of the later pics. It just looks like dirty cosmoline to me! Need to get you car up in the air for some cleaning... :1:
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mottati said:
Adam, it looks like a seeping output shaft seal from the diff. Not uncommon. I'm having a hard time seeing what's you're pointing out in some of the later pics. It just looks like dirty cosmoline to me! Need to get you car up in the air for some cleaning... :1:
Mike
Just had an inspection I done a few weeks ago... must have just started leaking after they thoroughly checked... :(

The 4th pic shows a plastic panel just next to the LF suspension members- unlike all it's neighbors, it has a thick, black, shiny oil/tar residue. I'm looking above for leak candiates.

The last pick might just be oil from the front leak that has coated the rear susp swing arm. it doesn't have that dry, dirt grey look.

About cleaning underneath: I've been hesitant to ask the question... I clean and detail the wheel wells. (I feel like this is car washers anonomous)... and I've wanted to give the underside a good cleaning once every 6 months. No lift though. Any recommendations?

A

·
10,458 Posts
ard said:
About cleaning underneath: I've been hesitant to ask the question... I clean and detail the wheel wells. (I feel like this is car washers anonomous)... and I've wanted to give the underside a good cleaning once every 6 months. No lift though. Any recommendations?

A
don't tell my wife, by once in a while, i put the car up on jackstands and spray down the undercarrige, suspension etc with my cheapie pressure washer.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mottati said:
don't tell my wife, by once in a while, i put the car up on jackstands and spray down the undercarrige, suspension etc with my cheapie pressure washer.
Mike
Don't worry- you're among fellow sufferers here.

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hudson said:
Hey Ard,

No. 8 of this picture is probably what you need for the diff.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=33_1042&hg=33&fg=10

Can't tell from the pictures about the leak in the front but it looks old so I wouldn't worry.

Joe
I was thinking that and/or #7. There is also oil up around the front of the diff.

Anyway, need to talk with Niello and call them onto the carpet for not doing the inspection that BMW paid them to do. (old story huh?)

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
ard said:
Hey Guys-

A few pics. Please let me know what you think. The first three are from around the rear diff. I am guessing it is a diff leak. There is both wet (but not dripping wet) and dry residue on the diff. Near as I can tell no strong smell, (but I've got a cold.)

Not sure what's going on with the front. This is a thick, tar-like or dried oil coating just on the left (driver) side plastic panel.

Last pic is the LR suspenion arm- not sure if this is from the front, diff, or road...

Thoughts?

Thanks

Adam
Adam,

I (and fellow member Tin) had your issue a little while ago and it was easily resolved. In my case it was the Output Shaft Seal. Here is the thread that describes it, I have also uploaded some pictures so you can draw references to your case.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56038

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick note-

Took it back to the dealer. Despite a 'special appointment to address this oversight' it took 45 minutes hour to TALK to an SA.

I told him- lets get it up in the air, figure out what parts are needed and then order them- I am NOT leaving the car with you for a week.

Sure enough both output shafts were leaking. It wasn't even close to "not really that bad". The SA was a bit disturbed. In any even, they had those seals in stock and will replace them tomorrow.

SA has agreed to re-do Inspection I and REALLY LOOK at what they are doing.

Oh, and they said the front stuff (my last two pics in the original post) are cosmoline. (As the SA explained, it is a kind of 'shipping grease'...duh)

I shouldn't be surprised - unless you clearly spell out your expectations- and your ability to discern quality, people just try to slide.

Thanks

Adam

PS My old SA just transfered to another dealership a few months ago, so the inspection I visit was a new guy- first week with BMW methinks. ... I've now moved on to a different SA who is a bit more attentive.

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's good news Adam,

Glad they're going to take care of it right away. Unfortunately the guys doing the oil changes and Inspection I's are not the top mechanics so they may not be conscientious enough to notice and alert the SA and owner of a potential problem. Now that you’ve done the hard work (finding the problem) it should be easy for them to finish the job. :hihi:

Joe

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Adam,

I almost hate to ask, but did you find this out incidentally when your car was on a lift or was their another sign?

I feel an unnatural compulsion to get my car on lift and inspect the underside....

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KevinM said:
Adam,

I almost hate to ask, but did you find this out incidentally when your car was on a lift or was their another sign?

I feel an unnatural compulsion to get my car on lift and inspect the underside....
Just my faith in my fellow man-

I'd been replaying the service visit- the fact that I had to pull teeth and wait to get the 'Inspection I' checklist, and the fact that all 4 brake measurements were "10, 10, 10, 10"... some little voice in my head was saying "they didn't do squuuaaaatttt"

I put it up in the air and did my own inspections.

A

PS Floor jack works fine- just more work than a lift. For rolling around and looking it is more than adequate.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Adam,

You are right. One always have to double check, and idiots will always try to take advantage of you, and lie and slide.

Why can´t BMW build a service organisation which doesn´t defraud its customers? They need a change of culture.

There are many really good individuals in that organisation (let´s treasure those people), but I sadly think the bad guys and the incompetent are the majority.

David

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
DavidS said:
Adam,

You are right. One always have to double check, and idiots will always try to take advantage of you, and lie and slide.

Why can´t BMW build a service organisation which doesn´t defraud its customers? They need a change of culture.

There are many really good individuals in that organisation (let´s treasure those people), but I sadly think the bad guys and the incompetent are the majority.

David
I think a lot has to do with the dealership. I can't speak to oil changes, but there a handful of techs that work only on M cars for service. They may work on other cars, but techs not trained on M cars do not work on them. Of course, my dealer is one of the largest in the country, so they are pretty busy and have a large staff so everyone always stays pretty busy.
I have had repairs made that were not on my list when I came in. They were spotted and handled ( leaking high pressure power steering hose, oil pan gasket). I wonder if taking good care of my SA and techs have anything to do with that??? :15:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
To give a fair picture, I have also many times seen very stupid, rude and obnoxious customers misbehave towards SAs. There is a need for better manners on both sides.

David

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Adam,

Are you still under warranty? I replaced my diff. rear seal right before my warranty ran out. In addition to a host of other stuff. I tell you, the E39 M5 is a great car, but it's a full time job keeping it in tip-top shape once you're over 50k miles or so. Not to mention a second mortgage to pay for the repairs.

CP

·
10,458 Posts
chunpng said:
I tell you, the E39 M5 is a great car, but it's a full time job keeping it in tip-top shape once you're over 50k miles or so. Not to mention a second mortgage to pay for the repairs.

CP
You certainly have that right, Pong. Yesterday, my car developed a knocking noise over bumps, speed bumps, driveways etc. I just put new pads and rotors on last week, so i thought, maybe i left something loose! (as did my wife "everytime you do something to that car, you have to do something else!"). Alas, everything tight, although the lower control arm bushings look a bit beat up, to me. Car is going into the dealer tomorrow, wife is getting impatient. She adds "has my car even been in for anything since we''ve had it? You need a car that doesn't require so much attention."
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tend to side more with David's perspective on these issue- just the pessimist in me....

In this case, I was shuttled to a brand new SA- and I didn't have "the discussion" with this SA (and I should have) because I knew he was not going to work with me again. (His first week with BMW- no way).

It is critical to get an SA who know how to deal with folks like us- we know what needs to be done and we get crazy when it is done wrong. Of course it is sad when only 'the right' customers get 'the right' service. Every service should be perfect for every owner- but it doesn't happen.

Once you set expectations and demonstrate that you can be trusted with the truth, the right SA will usually be more open and accomodating. I will tolerate (within reason) slipped schedules, mis ordered parts, uncertain diagnoses, etc, etc- I WILL NOT tolerate lying or dishonesty. Most SAs will respect this.

Now, what do I do about this blown Inspection I? Do I drag the dealership into a confrontation with BMWNA over this? Of course not- it will gain me nothing to burn them on this. And here it the most important part- the dealer knows they screwed this up, they know this looks bad, and they know that I know. I will look the SA in the eye and say "I understand the last service had issues, and I appreciate your personal attention this time- let's make sure you and I are on the same page in the future." I hope that will start our relationship on the right foot.

A

PS I enquired "Hey, what's involved with activating the rear airbags?" (Knowing full well it is 2 hours and a special form) He replied "Sure, we can take care of that- just need to sign an activation form")

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry for reviving an aged thread, I think the differential in my car has a leak, but need to pinpoint if the current symptom points to that. There's a smell from near the rear wheels, and only occurs after a long drive. The smell is best described as that of a burned mechanical fluid and can be noticed when standing near the rear passenger door.

From inspection service done at the dealer less than 2 months ago, they informed me there was some seeping from the differential, but I was informed it does not require immediate attention. So I dismissed it as nothing major, and posts from the board seem to suggest seeping is rather common. So is the smell normal? Please kindly advise. Haven't got any pics of the car to share, but hope to be able to take some soon.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts