BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Should I still put in a new bushing and put things back together?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I’ve taken the opportunity to spoil the beast with a few new parts. Among them is the differential bushing and control arms that previous owner has neglected. Upon removing the front differential bushing, I’ve noticed some extensive damage to the rear part of it. Damage only seems to be aft of the mount with the front being in tact. I seek the help of knowledgeable board members who have done this job first hand and could provide some counsel on whether or not to replace the bushing or the entire rear carrier. I’ve attached some images below.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wish I was more knowledgeable about the condition but if you’re uneasy I think Dinan sells a reinforcement plate that can be welded in so you don’t have to replace the whole thing.

On another note, I plan on tackling this same job in a couple weeks, what tool did you use to get the bushing out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, that is not what the Dinan Plate does. Somebody changed that, and brutalized it. I am not sure how tight the bushing will fit. Maybe a Powerflex might work better. I hope others provide feedback too.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
As brutal as that looks, you need to measure the diameter on the front then do the same at the back to decide how much damage has been done. My self I would replace it, because I am not having that in my car. It might not be as bad as it looks or it could be worse than it looks if it has been stretched out of round.

·
Registered
233 Posts
you will probably be fine, looks like someone had no diy luck with brute force. I would file out the bore imperfections and try jeds unicorn egg aluminum mount and if it fits nice and tight, I call it good.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From the pics damage looks to be cosmetic. I’d follow Sailor24s advice and if it’s still a proper shape up to you if you can live with it. A metal bushing in there will transmit more force to the mount, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with caslvre39 I’d clean it up with a grinder and or files, it’s a DIY gone ugly. But to me the damage is minimal.

·
Registered
284 Posts
From seeing pictures of broken front diff mounts, they tend to break on the side support where BMW drilled the 2 holes (anyone know why they put holes there?), not where you have damage. As such, my guess is that unless you see damage on the side supports, I think structurally this is fine. Obviously if you can get a reinforcement plate welded in that will give you a piece of mind and prevent a potential failure point in the subframe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I was more knowledgeable about the condition but if you’re uneasy I think Dinan sells a reinforcement plate that can be welded in so you don’t have to replace the whole thing.

On another note, I plan on tackling this same job in a couple weeks, what tool did you use to get the bushing out?
No worries, I managed to pull the bushings with an improvised tool. At my local hardware store I purchased a threaded rod along with washers and 4 nuts. I had a large axle nut I used to "cup" one end of the bushing. Using the axle nut on one side and jammed two nuts on the other side of the rod. with the other side , I placed another set of washers and a nut that I tightened down. With brute force and many revolutions later , all three bushings were removed. I plan to use the same method on the install. only thing holding me back is I need a smaller diameter rod for the new bushings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you will probably be fine, looks like someone had no diy luck with brute force. I would file out the bore imperfections and try jeds unicorn egg aluminum mount and if it fits nice and tight, I call it good.
Ive come to the conclusion that the beast was driven too long and hard with that bad bushing. From visual inspection of the "tunnel" above the pinion side of the Diff, the sliding and banging when the clutch was released. That explains the impact marks on the panels above the pinion side of diff. Second the old bushing had burn marks indicating to me its been sliding around for some time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to take the time out and thank everyone for the replies. After a few nights of frustration and worry, I've elected to clean the affected area and insert a solid bushing from ECS. Hopefully it holds up and can be a cost effective solution to anyone else doing this job with similar discrepancies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to take the time out and thank everyone for the replies. After a few nights of frustration and worry, I've elected to clean the affected area and insert a solid bushing from ECS. Hopefully it holds up and can be a cost effective solution to anyone else doing this job with similar discrepancies.
Did you have to drop the subframe at all?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts