BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 295/30ZR-20 rear size, Tire Rack carries an unspecified, a "BMW", and a "Mercedes-Benz" version. What is the difference?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
For the 295/30ZR-20 rear size, Tire Rack carries an unspecified, a "BMW", and a "Mercedes-Benz" version. What is the difference?
Sometimes auto manufacturers work with the tire manufacturers to make tiny adjustments for a specific car. I remember when I had my E39 M5, I bought deeply discounted rear Michelins from Tire Rack that were orginally designed to be the front tires on a Viper. Apparently, the Viper tires had some reinforcement in the shoulder of the tire. I figured since these were going on the rear and were the OEM M5 size it wasn't going to have a negative impact on anything.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have a M-B "XL" version in stock; I think I'll wait for the OEM BMW ones (1 month! Jeesh.)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It maybe different in the US, but in the UK you'd have a possible issue with your Insurance company if you fitted obviously non OEM tyres to your car & didn't inform them.

That said, you'd only have to fit OEM or recommended tyres, but if the sidewall indicated they were OEM for a Merc & you have them on a BMW then that could cause problems.

·
Registered
750 Posts
There can be a difference in speed rating. I bought MB tires for our Cayenne since I don't care about a difference in 135 to 155 mph top speed. The savings can be up to $40. per tire.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
As said above auto companies work with tire manufactures with specific details regarding the tires. I have the MB 295/30/20 version tires standard for the SLS AMG on my car and it was the tread width that was different. The actual width of the tire is the same but the tread width is slightly different. If you compare the tires on TireRack with the BMW and Mercedes version in the comparison chart it will show some of the differences. Michelin can't release all differences because of the agreement with the auto company.

When I bought mine it was $27 cheaper than the BMW version of the same tire and about the same as the regular non-brand specific tire. The TireRack sales guy sold me on the MB version because it was in stock at the warehouse closest to me while the regular non-brand one was out of stock everywhere.

Reactions: Minimization

·
Registered
133 Posts
As said above auto companies work with tire manufactures with specific details regarding the tires. I have the MB 295/30/20 version tires standard for the SLS AMG on my car and it was the tread width that was different. The actual width of the tire is the same but the tread width is slightly different. If you compare the tires on TireRack with the BMW and Mercedes version in the comparison chart it will show some of the differences. Michelin can't release all differences because of the agreement with the auto company.

When I bought mine it was $27 cheaper than the BMW version of the same tire and about the same as the regular non-brand specific tire. The TireRack sales guy sold me on the MB version because it was in stock at the warehouse closest to me while the regular non-brand one was out of stock everywhere.
The M5 is heavier than an SL, but I would think the speed rating of the tires would be similar since they have similar performance. Do you think the weight difference matters in the tire selection between BMW and MB?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The M5 is heavier than an SL, but I would think the speed rating of the tires would be similar since they have similar performance. Do you think the weight difference matters in the tire selection between BMW and MB?
Speed rating is the same between the tires I just looked on TireRack's website. They are also rated for the same max weight of 1,819 of pounds per tire the only differences on the comparison chart are tread width and depth. The Mercedes variant has 10/32 while the BMW has 9/32.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had to stop at my tire shop to get a nail removed from a tire today. My tire guy told me it is better to stick with the BMW tire for the M5 due to tread, aspect ratio and loading (sorry, his real explaination was more technical). Said he would sell me the BMW tire at the same price as the MB tire so it would not matter anyway.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know weight limit per tire is a huge deal at high speed. I remember the SL65 AMG is limited at top speed artificially because they couldn't source a tire at the time that could support that mass at that velocity. It was limited to somewhere < 200 mi/h I think but could go over that speed in theory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts