BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between 07 / 08 / 09 S85s ? I have gotten a bit of an idea from my searches of the forum (yes, I tried first) but am not getting conclusive lists. Anyone able to concisely list the differences?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
are you talking specifically to the S85 engine between years?

i don't think there are any differences :confused2

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking specifically to the S85 engine between years?

i don't think there are any differences :confused2
No, to the entire car... I just refer to it as S85 bc it's shorter than saying E60 M5....

So, yes, differences between E60 M5 07/08/09

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Off the top of my head:

2008: LCI update which consists of new design on the insides of the doors (different door grip, etc), new headlights, new tail lights, thicker steering wheel, I could be wrong but I believe the side mirrors changed a bit also (they got slightly shorter in height; the older ones were fatter)
2009: New I-Drive controller
2010: New I-Drive with Hard Drive, better navigation display, better menus, etc (CIC upgrade)

·
Registered
407 Posts
IIRC, only '09's had the change in mirror. For some odd reason we will never fathom. :sad1:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Some owners 2010 M5s was saying that the engine felt faster more smooth and the SMG transmission felt much smoother. Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
IIRC, only '09's had the change in mirror. For some odd reason we will never fathom. :sad1:
Mine's an 08 and has the slightly shorter mirrors. An 07 next to me had the fatter/taller ones. I thought it was an lci change but maybe it's aftermarket or the 07 owner got an 09 one? Are the newer ones taller or shorter? Mine are shorter.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Mine's an 08 and has the slightly shorter mirrors. An 07 next to me had the fatter/taller ones. I thought it was an lci change but maybe it's aftermarket or the 07 owner got an 09 one? Are the newer ones taller or shorter? Mine are shorter.

I only saw it for a split second (hard to get 2 of these cars together) but it appeared the '09 had a wider mirror. All I do recall is, there was a change, and it wasn't for the better. :crying2:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I only saw it for a split second (hard to get 2 of these cars together) but it appeared the '09 had a wider mirror. All I do recall is, there was a change, and it wasn't for the better. :crying2:
Hmm, I'm gonna have to compare again this weekend. Maybe I was looking at a 2009 next to me instead of an 07. Whatever I looked at I liked mine better so :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Not sure they've been mentioned but other small differences include the ash tray location as well as the radio buttons, they are MUCH better on the 2008 and newer models.

btw - i never noticed the thicker steering wheel. Must be marginal.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
btw - i never noticed the thicker steering wheel. Must be marginal.
Strike that comment from my original post... I think I had heard a rumor about it but I just saw another car pre-LCI yesterday and it looked the same to me in thickness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts